Ratings for Dr. Gary W. Coatoam

Was having a lot of discomfort after crown lengthening, suffering for five days which I was told is not normal. Made appointment for Dr. Coatoam to check the tooth. When he took the packing off I cried because it hurt so bad. He then announced that I was "being a big baby and exaggerating my pain". And I said "no I'm not, it hurts really bad! Then he said "it doesn't hurt and THIS IS ALL THEATRICS!" I told him "I'm in pain!" He said "you are not in pain you don't have a nerve there you had a root canal. It's just a little tender and healing beautifully." I said "I can't believe you are telling ME how I feel!" Then he said "SHUT UP AND OPEN UP!!" Shocked and toothless I did open my mouth because I didn't have a choice and he jammed his fingers in to place the temp crown back in the sore gap... But I felt violated. He then said he was releasing me back to the care of Dunwoody Dental (I love them there they are very caring) and the assistant tried to comfort me at that point and I said to her, "I know you know this treatment is not right, he told me to shut up!!" She said nothing but I'm sure it was bc she wanted to keep her job. What an uncaring person he is! He claims he is compassionate, well not today apparently!!! Do not go here! He is so FAKE! He thinks, "Take the money and run!" Also he makes sexist sounding remarks! I feel bad for his whole staff, who were wonderful. If it were possible I would give zero stars! Atrocious treatment. Unprofessional.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2016

Everyone is great especially Lanie who is so sweet. Dr does great work.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2015

A caring professional supported by an experienced staff. Respected and recommended by his peers.

flag | Submitted February 5, 2015

Dr. Coatoam and his staff are very pleasant and highly professional. The facilities are very clean and comfortable. Most important the services they provide are excellent. Dr. Coatoam saved a tooth of mine that had been deemed as hopeless by a few dentists I tried before. I would recommend Dr. Coatoam services to my friends and family.

flag | Submitted July 1, 2014

Dr. Coatoam was recommended by Dr. Pearl Burns to handle my gum surgery. He is an excellent dentist and he is extremely compassionate. He is a family man who enjoys his patients. He makes you feel welcomed and comfortable. When he has to give you bad news, he gives you time to meditate on important decisions. He doesn't rush you or scare you into undergoing any procedures. He adequately informs you! He is also cognizant of his staffers personalities and attitudes. He insures that they provide professional and caring service. I've only had 2 bad experiences w/his tall, stout, & sloppy blond receptionist not wanting to wait on me. I have purposefully observed her w/other patients and she definitely has cultural issues. She always pans me off on the pleasant male assistant. Avoid her if possible. With that being said, this is a great team and I trust Fr. Coatoam with all my dental surgeries. And trust me, I've had a few and many more to follow!

flag | Submitted October 5, 2012

Highly recommended perio office! I am a registered dental hygienist and see Dr. Coatoam & his hygienist Susan due to my recessed gums! The staff is extremely friendly and it's obvious they work well together as a team! His hygienist is outstanding!

flag | Submitted June 5, 2012

Dr Coatoam is the best! Unlike others in his field he truly does care about you, and takes the time to explain everything to you. He is a kind man, and def make sure you are taken care of!

flag | Submitted May 30, 2012

I have gone to Dr. Coatoam for many years and have "always" received excellent care. He is genuinely concerned and with his expertise, I have been able to maintain gum stability. I would NEVER think of going to another periodontist!

flag | Submitted May 16, 2012

Dr. Coatoam is absolutely wonderful! I was referred to him by my dentist, Dr. Yvonne Rausch (who is also fantastic) to have a tissue graft performed. He and his staff are great at taking time to explain things to patients, and they always make sure I feel very comfortable!

flag | Submitted November 3, 2009

Seems great so far.... 28 hours after having a tooth removed and bone graft material put in. I'm still forcing down a few Ibuprophen, but only to make sure the inflammation stays under control, because I'm not in any pain. After going through wisdom tooth extraction years earlier that put me to bed for a few days, I'm surprised there isn't any pain. Although when I went in, I had thought and hoped to save the tooth and just put a crown on it, I felt I had ample room to argue my case with the Dr., throwing everything I could think of to support my view that I could go without the extraction. However, my arguments were logically defeated one by one. In the end, the "tooth lost" the argument. DO come prepared to make a decision right there at the time, so you don't have to make two appointments, assuming you can live with your decision. He knows the facts, the odds, and explains them well.

flag | Submitted August 13, 2009