Ratings for Dr. Richard I. Horowitz

I feel compelled to reply to the comment from November, 2016. I have been a patient at the Hudson Valley Healing Art Center since 2010. I have never been treated with anything but the utmost respect from the entire staff, from the nurse who takes your vitals, to Dr. Horowitz himself. I've been under the care of many health providers during my life, but John Fallon is, without question, the kindest, gentlest, caring person I've ever met. Always jovial, in fact my local pharmacy said he's their favorite provider because he's so nice. John Fallon is an extremely upbeat and I've never seen him express even a tiny amount of frustration with anyone. So, a meltdown by John Fallon? Just not possible in my opinion and I've had hundreds of hours on the phone and in his presence. This story about John Fallon is a pure fabrication. As far as PA's starting to leave years ago. There were only ever three providers at HVHAC. Dr. Horowitz, John Fallon and Lauren Yonker. Lauren Yonker had been with Dr, Horowitz for many years, but left to spend more time with her young family. So, no mass exodus of PA's. How would you know any way, you had two visits. I'm sorry, but your story detailing your experience is mostly a fabrication. Been a patient since 2010 and have never been charged an email fee, or any other extra fee. But, maybe I'm a little more self sufficient, educate myself as to the disease, and take an active role in my healing. I suggest you do the same.

flag | Submitted February 14, 2017

I have been a patient of the practice for years and, personally, have nothing but good things to say about Dr. Horowitz and his staff. Yes, they are overworked and rushed and dealing with an extreme amount of pressure to find appointment slots in an overbooked schedule, answer neverending phone calls, respond to countless emails (speaking of which - what other doctor lets you email???!), and time consuming checkouts and supplement purchases. They have never been rude to me even when I know they need to rush and have shown me nothing but compassion, as has Dr. Horowitz. They also invite me to bring my dog with me for my visit, something I find comforting, and they always call and email me to remind me of my appointment (something I need thanks to my brain fog!). Was the previous office manager crazy and incompetent - perhaps. But the office is under new management and the staff seems happier and more organized and the office seems to be running smoother. Add to this the extreme depth of Dr. Horowitz's knowledge and his endless fight to have Lyme recognised for the debilitating disease that it is and I wouldn't consider going anywhere else. Are they expensive - yes, I suppose they are, but I cannot put a price tag on my health and Dr. Horowitz has me feeling better and, honestly, I'm surprised at the negative reviews. I'm thinking there is more to them than the poster wants to admit and the negativity might be born out of frustration from being sick for so long and expecting to feel better and immediately understand the process but I recommend patience and trust since, as I said before, I believe Dr. Horowitz and his staff truly care about their patients.

flag | Submitted January 30, 2017

My experience with this office and its staff was terrible. It's deeply disappointing that an office supposedly committed to helping people out of the nightmare and confusion that is Chronic Lyme disease would lack such basic compassion and ethics. After my initial appointment, I was sent home with supplements costing me $400, several rx's for antibiotics, and a binder full of new and overwhelming treatment information. This would've been a positive thing if it had been accompanied by directions, but it wasn't. The staff did invite me to reach out as needed, however, because of how confusing it can all be, which I was forced to do during the month that followed. I reached out only as needed, to ask about scheduling help for the 20-something pills, tinctures, and sprays I was told to take in a day, when I had bad reactions to the aggressive protocol they put me on, and when my throat was closing up due to an allergic reaction to one of the ABX's they prescribed me. When I would call or email to ask these necessary and sometimes urgent questions, the receptionists up front were rude and self-important in their tone, telling me often to email instead of call. I was also forced to email repeatedly at times because my initial emails, in which I followed their rules and wrote in bullet point form all my questions at once, would often be responded to only answering 1 or 2 of my questions, leaving many ignored. At my 2nd appt. I came to learn I was to be charged an "email fee" of $50! I was told this by one of the receptionists lacking tact and human decency who said, "You email us too much". After arguing this gratuitous and insensitive fee, the office manager so graciously lowered the fee to $25- only adding insult to injury. That amount is a drop in the bucket for an office like this one. The office should be ashamed that any punishment was issued at all after they themselves drove me to have to email them more than once. At my 2nd appt with the PA, John Fallon, he took out his bad day on me by literally yelling at me. He had a full fledged outburst in front me about an issue I had due to his mistake, yet instead of humbly owning that, he actually yelled and displayed his emotional instability and impatience. No patient should ever be yelled at by a medical professional they are in the care of. My protocol was also changed, and I was also to get in touch if I was doing worse and he could easily add back ABX's. I ended up having to do so, and when I reached out as I was told to do, they added that I'd actually need to pay $150 for a phone session in order to be put back on my medication. I spoke with the office manager regarding this, and she condescendingly told me I had again been emailing too much. The nerve of her to say this was unbelievable. I emailed once to ask about being put back on my much needed medication, and I called once when I didn't hear back. The best part is that when I called, the receptionist curtly told me not to call and to email instead! How should I contact the untouchable medical staff to whom I've entrusted my health and given thousands of dollars if not by phone or email? Really, how dare this staff deem themselves fit to deal with the public, especially the sick? The office manager I spoke with thought she'd really let me have it by telling me that this is a world renowned office. Guess what? You're a receptionist. Your job at its core is to go between Dr. and sick patient and facilitate clear communication in a kind and compassionate way, and you're not even capable of doing that. The staff up front lacks the people skills to work in a paper factory. Not only are these unethical and disgusting ways for an office dealing with desperately sick people to handle itself, but it calls into question the very medical care being given.

flag | Submitted November 2, 2016

I agree with the comments on the office staff but it's not the receptionist, it's the office manager and admin staff. The manager is not only incompetent, she is well, crazy. Some if the original PAs started leaving three years ago on their own. It was obvious why. The doctor was out on the PR trail. While I will never really know if they saved our family from lyme as we left the practice after three years and were still sick, I can say we continue to recover but it's a battle. We found a new equally talented and experienced doctor in another state that doesn't send us into bankruptcy trying to cover the fees. And this new doctor did a better job of treating my child who wasn't aggressively treated enough. One objection I have is that I think he runs a giant clinical trial with trying patients on things to test. Hence the constant expensive blood tests. I think he could do with an office staff overhaul. He needs to see the patients more and get some other full doctors into the practice. I am glad I am not going there any more. He is taking too much money.

flag | Submitted November 2, 2016

I was kicked out of the practice for following the advice of one of the front office staff. They suggested I make phone appointments in advance in case I needed them (meaning could cancel if I felt well) because they book out so far in advance, well for about 3 appointments in a row I was thankfully feeling well enough to cancel and with about a month I received a certified letter in mail from them saying I'm being dropped as a patient .... After spending thousands of dollars there to have that happen was infuriating. Although my last phone consult with the doctor he was so utterly rude and mocked my intelligence on the phone I see getting the boot as a blessing. I don't care how busy or stressed out you are have some human decency and compassion when you are dealing with people who are suffering and trying desperately to get well. Now w his book out his ego and arrogance have only gotten more inflamed as mentioned on here by several other people. It's a total shame because the guy is super knowledgable. But all in all, his lack of supper and care negate that knowledge. Thankfully other knowledgable LLMDs exist, and I hope Dr Horowitz changes his poor attitude for the better and get back to actually helping people in a genuine way.

flag | Submitted December 6, 2015

It saddened me to see so many negative reviews. I know many people are frustrated and ill, it's just terrible that so many are suffering with this debilitating illness. One man could never serve the needs of everyone. I am grateful that Dr. Horowitz wrote a book about Lyme Disease. He took all of his knowledge and placed it in a tangible format and is sharing it with patients and health care professionals around the world. This is a generous gift. He is spreading the word and fighting for a cure. My experience with John Fallon and The Dr has always been positive. They spent at least 1 attentive hours with me each visit. They and their support staff saved my life. I can walk, talk and function again. I think some of these negative reviews are far fetched and am suspicious that they are exaggerated or untrue.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2015

I would highly recommend Dr. Horowitz and his NP without a doubt , if you want to treat lyme with a medical approach. While it is sometimes hard to get through by phone, I'll deal with that in a heartbeat to see them and get the care I need to get over my disease. Yes, it is a busy practice and it does take a day or two for them to get back to you for non-urgent matters, but in my experience, they always did. They were always there for me in emergencies, and they never 'gave it to me' for calling the emergency line (I also never called at 2am). The initial consult was expensive, but I have found the follow-ups to be similiar of other experts. Yes, we sick lyme patients are broke from this disease, but I also found that you get what you pay for....and then are messed up from being cheap, and you spend the money later on anyway once your'e sicker (at least for me). I was a patient of them both. I have found them to be extremely committed, and they work hard to get you better, against the odds of the medical establishment. I have not felt that Dr. Horowitz was into promoting himself, his book, or supplements (In fact, I was told I can buy the supplements anywhere. They told me what they felt I needed to support my body, but never made me buy it from them). If you want an appointment with Dr. Horowitz, but are not able to see him, his NP John, is fantastic. Knowledgeable, caring, gentle, there for you, bright, excellent judgement, and very experienced. I knew I could trust him right away. From my experience Dr. Horowitz is on top of all the patients and cases, and knows what is going on with you, even if you don't see him. I have found Dr. Horowitz to be knowledgeable, has a deep understanding of things, open-minded, sharp, caring, straight forward, a truth-seeker, and courageous. He says the truth for your'e sake, even if one might perceive it as rude. He's fighting a war with medicine, deals with audits, and a lot of other BS from a corrupted system. Underneath any toughness (which I haven't really experienced) he is kind, compassionate, caring, and will do what it takes to get you well. I feel that Dr. Horowitz has a unique knowledge, sense of truth, and understanding of things, based on experience and uses it to get you well, despite all the politics. He has excellent judgement, and really knows how to play with the meds to zap those microbes out of you. I feel lucky to have been able to a patient in his practice, although I did hit a dead end for now. Despite this, I strongly feel that being a patient in his practice was the best possible choice I could have made, being that I wanted a MD at my side.

flag | Submitted July 30, 2015

Dr Horowitz came highly recommended but I was warned that the administration and office support was poor. I had difficulty getting onto his waiting list as both the telephone & emails were ignored. However, when I saw him in clinic for a three hour consult I found him to be caring, compassionate and knowledgeable. I left elated, confident that I was in the best hands. Unfortunately things have deteriorated and it now seems that Hus patients come second to promoting his book and the conference circuit. The office is support is so poor it's bordering on negligent. My General Practioner has never received any correspondence from the office despite repeated promises to do so. Requests for copies of notes are ignored or met with being told that notes aren't available. I don't know how a medical facility can legally operate without keeping patient records. Booking appointments is a lottery: a request for a 2-3 month follow up (as per Dr H's request) was once met with an appointment over 8 months later. Getting any advice inbetween appointments is impossible no matter how urgent and desperate the enquiry. The only thing the office excels at is taking payment .Though they often don't bother to actually send out invoices. Patients are expected to rely on their own notes taken during telephone consults as the office does follow up consults with a written treatment plan. Trying to 'keep up' with a Foggy 'Lymes Brain' is difficult . In short there is no back up, the office staff when you can get hold of them are often unhelpful bordering on rude. if you have a query or an unsure of how to proceed after a telephone consult you will be charged again. I invested a lot of time and money travelling to see Dr Horowitz and am now seriously considering starting again with another consultant not because I doubt his knowledge but because I am doubtful of his commitment to his patients & because his clinic is run so poorly.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2015

Office staff is non-responsive & not compassionate for very sick people. I would have rated much higher if dr h was in the office more. He was great when he was there but now spends too much time promoting his book & himself now. It seems like he "forgot" about the patients he initially was trying to help. I would appreciate him helping "the average lyme patient" at reasonable fees. Costs are so high & wait time for new patients seems unbelievable. Existing patients don't have supportive staff.

flag | Submitted April 16, 2015

Dr. Horowitz' front-desk staff does not do a top-notch job either answering the phone, nor responding politely and immediately to requests. At one time in the past, they did. Despite the problems in dealing with the office, if you have serious Lyme Disease, there are two important things to remember. First, Dr. Horowitz is one of the foremost experts in the country who got that way by actually listening to patients, and deciding, compassionately, to treat our actual symptoms, and not follow a nonsensical dictate by the medical establishment that Lyme Disease cannot last more than a month. Second, because he "violated" the medical standard at the time, he was persecuted by the medical establishment, including that he was investigated by New York State, and his office was dropped by many insurance companies. It took years for this issue to be resolved, and for Dr. Horowitz to be vindicated. In short, he went through a long ordeal, for simply being a caring, intelligent doctor, who lived up to his medical oathe. I therefore say that if he is not always chipper, do not judge him for it. In my own case, in 1998 I went to three specialists in Manhattan, who failed to diagnose my Lyme Disease. I was nearly incapacitated, mentally and physically, by the time I went to Dr. Horowitz. After being correctly diagnosed, and treated with antibiotics for a full year, I was back to practicing law. He saved my life.

flag | Submitted March 20, 2015