Ratings for Dr. Richard P. Marvel

Wonderful dr and staff. I highly recommend him for all femal issues including pelvic pain.

flag | Submitted November 11, 2018

Can pretty much sum up my experience, that I sobbed pretty much the entire time with this man. I’m honestly still in shock at what an absolute arrogant, unsympathetic, truly non caring individual is doing in the field of medicine. Due to several unfortunate serious medical conditions, I’ve dealt with literally dozens of doctors in my lifetime and even the worst of the worst couldn’t compare to this man. He didnt listen to a word I had to say, including the numerous side effects that I had already experienced from several medications over the years that previous physicans had prescribed. He was adamant that it all is a matter of dosage and he would have me gradually increase dosage until I reached the side effects and then stop and take the lowest dose I could handle...which is exactly what every other physician does, and obviously the system used by my other physicians with the medications. He clearly is so arrogant because he actually thinks he’s smarter than his fellow doctors. There’s no other explanation to me as to why he prescribed me 2 medications that I have already tried even at the lowest dose with bad side effects that I couldn’t ‘push through’ as he said, insisted that he put an IUD put back in despite me having to have one removed already due to complications from it that he ‘didn’t think were really a problem’, straight up tell me to stop taking my anti-depressant for my anxiety (yes, actually told me to just stop taking it because I ‘didn’t need it’, literally no other medical reason given), try to put me on menopause inducing drugs when I already have had Depo Provera stopping my periods (....im in my early 20’s also FYI) and then try to joke at the end that he thought I was going to get up and storm out at some point because I was bawling the entire time. I honestly have never felt so belittled, devalued, insignificant and ready to give up on life than after conversing with this man. I wish I had read these reviews beforehand, they’re spot on with things such as him just typing and ignoring me crying never even bothering to offer a tissue or something, so I was literally wiping my nose on my sleeve for 45 minutes. I highly anticipate their call to schedule a procedure he wanted to do and next appt, to kindly inform that I will not be doing either.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2018

Dr marvel is very helpful! He is knowledgeable, kind and truly cares. The staff is also friendly and wonderful!

flag | Submitted July 11, 2017

Excellent experience with Dr. Marvel. He diagnosed my problem and gave me a program to address it, while other doctors just wanted to send me to pain management. I am pain and medicine free now.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2017

He is always willing to help and listen!! I have been with him for years and I have gotten so much better!!

flag | Submitted January 30, 2017

DO NOT SEE THIS MAN!! This man is a horrible excuse for a doctor. He is RUDE and condecending. He called me back to his office and did not feel the need to introduce himself. During the exam He made me feel very uncomfortable and when I told him I was experiencing pain he said "well thats because I'm doing things down here". I sat in his office for so long while he typed "notes" on his computer that I got out my phone to pass the time. He then proceeded to reprimand me for certain lifestyle habits that I'm already working on changing and called me hypocritical for not taking prescription drugs. Said he wasn't trying to convince me to take medication and yet continued to talk about it. He never discussed the exam or a treatment plan and after his speil about medicine and exercise, handed me a poorly written print out on "Pudendal Neuralgia" without previously mentioning that condition or explaining what it is. His staff was standoffish but one nurse felt the need to call me "sweety, honey, sugar..." while talking to me. I am a 33 year old woman and not to mention a stranger!! It fascinates me the levels of deception and the lengths people are willing to go to trick sick, unhappy people. it is disgusting, he is disgusting!!!!!!

flag | Submitted September 18, 2016

Female, 24yrs old, been in pain for three years with no real idea of what was going on. Today was my first time meeting with Dr. Marvel, and after living in chronic pelvic pain limbo for years, my questions have finally been answered!! He had already reviewed my case, and had spoken with my spinal pain managment dr from Hopkins before I arrived. It's refreshing to walk in and sit with a doctor (who had a butt cushion on one of his chairs in his office! Loved that lol) who already had an idea of what was going on even though it was our first time speaking. He listened intently and did a great job of keeping me on track with my answers (**I think that's where a lot of these negative comments are coming from. When he asks a question he wants an answer, not a whole story. If you're like me and are in pain from multiple conditions it's very hard to determine what pain is coming from what. Sometimes it's impossible, especially if you aren't a doctor. It's easy to get off track and start rambling about something he doesn't specialize in. While you may think it's pertinent he knows , he's probably already a few steps ahead of you. He's a no BS kind of Dr. He was asking those specific questions to get the answers he needed, to be able to answer my questions in the end. It may come across as harsh but I don't believe that is his intent). After we spoke for about 20 minutes he did a short physical exam. He was accommodating to try to make me as comfortable as possible, and was gentle. He did what he needed to do and was as quick as he could be. He also apologized because he knew he had to cause me pain in order to know more about what was going on. He didn't need to say he was sorry, and most doctors don't, so it means something to me when they do. He then asked if my Dad could be present to talk about what to do next which I also liked. He gave me my diagnosis. He explained everything to my father and I in a very straight forward way. Reality of the situation and the likelihood of treatments working, but there ARE treatments to try! He also made a connection with some of my other conditions and is sending me to some specialists to confirm a suspected diagnosis. He's one of the best of the best in his field and if you have something he specializes in, he will do his best to help you.

flag | Submitted August 6, 2015

I also had an odd experience with this doctor which lead me to this site. Would not recommend him.

flag | Submitted May 11, 2015

Horrible staff and the doctor eas just as bad not taking the time to truly listen abd come up with a treatment plan .

flag | Submitted April 25, 2015

I would like to advise anyone against seeing him.His staff said he would be able to answer specific questions.I arrive early-he was over 20 minutes late! No hello,he didn’t even bother to introduce himself.Not only did he not offer me any new advice, he told me he didn’t deal with the specific questions I had.He took labs though I had no complaints about an infection. Then he jammed his fingers inside me w/o warning.I told Gwen to not process my labs-there was no need.She said OK. I asked for billing as I REFUSED to pay $600 for a 30 min appt.When billing called, it was Dr. Marvel! I told him how appalled I was at his treatment & all he said was a very rude, dismissive “sorry”.I told him to not send in the labs & he said OK. I asked him how much the appt would be & he couldn't answer! He asks how much my insurance covered & then came up with a number…yet he couldn’t give me the price he'd be charging?It was $685 & he sent in the labs anyways!Most miserable doctor ever in my 38 years.

flag | Submitted January 23, 2014

Dr. Richard P. Marvel's Credentials

• Wv Univ Sch Of Med, Morgantown Wv 26506 (Grad. 1988)