Ratings for Dr. Richard P. Marvel

Dr marvel is very helpful! He is knowledgeable, kind and truly cares. The staff is also friendly and wonderful!

flag | Submitted July 11, 2017

Excellent experience with Dr. Marvel. He diagnosed my problem and gave me a program to address it, while other doctors just wanted to send me to pain management. I am pain and medicine free now.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2017

He is always willing to help and listen!! I have been with him for years and I have gotten so much better!!

flag | Submitted January 30, 2017

DO NOT SEE THIS MAN!! This man is a horrible excuse for a doctor. He is RUDE and condecending. He called me back to his office and did not feel the need to introduce himself. During the exam He made me feel very uncomfortable and when I told him I was experiencing pain he said "well thats because I'm doing things down here". I sat in his office for so long while he typed "notes" on his computer that I got out my phone to pass the time. He then proceeded to reprimand me for certain lifestyle habits that I'm already working on changing and called me hypocritical for not taking prescription drugs. Said he wasn't trying to convince me to take medication and yet continued to talk about it. He never discussed the exam or a treatment plan and after his speil about medicine and exercise, handed me a poorly written print out on "Pudendal Neuralgia" without previously mentioning that condition or explaining what it is. His staff was standoffish but one nurse felt the need to call me "sweety, honey, sugar..." while talking to me. I am a 33 year old woman and not to mention a stranger!! It fascinates me the levels of deception and the lengths people are willing to go to trick sick, unhappy people. it is disgusting, he is disgusting!!!!!!

flag | Submitted September 18, 2016

Female, 24yrs old, been in pain for three years with no real idea of what was going on. Today was my first time meeting with Dr. Marvel, and after living in chronic pelvic pain limbo for years, my questions have finally been answered!! He had already reviewed my case, and had spoken with my spinal pain managment dr from Hopkins before I arrived. It's refreshing to walk in and sit with a doctor (who had a butt cushion on one of his chairs in his office! Loved that lol) who already had an idea of what was going on even though it was our first time speaking. He listened intently and did a great job of keeping me on track with my answers (**I think that's where a lot of these negative comments are coming from. When he asks a question he wants an answer, not a whole story. If you're like me and are in pain from multiple conditions it's very hard to determine what pain is coming from what. Sometimes it's impossible, especially if you aren't a doctor. It's easy to get off track and start rambling about something he doesn't specialize in. While you may think it's pertinent he knows , he's probably already a few steps ahead of you. He's a no BS kind of Dr. He was asking those specific questions to get the answers he needed, to be able to answer my questions in the end. It may come across as harsh but I don't believe that is his intent). After we spoke for about 20 minutes he did a short physical exam. He was accommodating to try to make me as comfortable as possible, and was gentle. He did what he needed to do and was as quick as he could be. He also apologized because he knew he had to cause me pain in order to know more about what was going on. He didn't need to say he was sorry, and most doctors don't, so it means something to me when they do. He then asked if my Dad could be present to talk about what to do next which I also liked. He gave me my diagnosis. He explained everything to my father and I in a very straight forward way. Reality of the situation and the likelihood of treatments working, but there ARE treatments to try! He also made a connection with some of my other conditions and is sending me to some specialists to confirm a suspected diagnosis. He's one of the best of the best in his field and if you have something he specializes in, he will do his best to help you.

flag | Submitted August 6, 2015

I also had an odd experience with this doctor which lead me to this site. Would not recommend him.

flag | Submitted May 11, 2015

Horrible staff and the doctor eas just as bad not taking the time to truly listen abd come up with a treatment plan .

flag | Submitted April 25, 2015

I would like to advise anyone against seeing him.His staff said he would be able to answer specific questions.I arrive early-he was over 20 minutes late! No hello,he didn’t even bother to introduce himself.Not only did he not offer me any new advice, he told me he didn’t deal with the specific questions I had.He took labs though I had no complaints about an infection. Then he jammed his fingers inside me w/o warning.I told Gwen to not process my labs-there was no need.She said OK. I asked for billing as I REFUSED to pay $600 for a 30 min appt.When billing called, it was Dr. Marvel! I told him how appalled I was at his treatment & all he said was a very rude, dismissive “sorry”.I told him to not send in the labs & he said OK. I asked him how much the appt would be & he couldn't answer! He asks how much my insurance covered & then came up with a number…yet he couldn’t give me the price he'd be charging?It was $685 & he sent in the labs anyways!Most miserable doctor ever in my 38 years.

flag | Submitted January 23, 2014

I was referred to Dr. Marvel by my primary care physician because of an abnormal pap. He comes across very friendly at first and seemed to be the best option for my situation. After the second visit though and once he brings you in his office to explain things I saw a man who had no desire to explain things further then he had to. I had two procedures done and was in allot of pain but was basically dismissed by him. After I had the surgery that was needed there was ABSOLUTELY no follow up care, he couldn't haven't cared less how I felt and completely ignored my concerns. I had to call them and follow up myself. The office will also charge you to fill out FMLA paperwork which I found absolutely ridiculous and told my husband who was taking off work to take care of me, that he had no reason to stay home with me and refused to fill out his paperwork.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2013

I arrived at Dr. Marvel's office in tears. I spent a year going to various doctors and several tests. I was finally referred to Dr. Marvel. Where other tests came back normal, he listened to me when I said I had pain and no one was able to diagnose me. As it turns out I had a severe case. He worked with a team of surgeons and performed a 6.5 hour surgery. I am not sure where the negative comments are coming from. Both he and his staff were professional and responsive. The office was clean and easy to sign in. If you like to whine then he probably isn't the doctor for you, but if you are serious about getting well then he can attend to your needs.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2013

Dr. Richard P. Marvel's Credentials

• Wv Univ Sch Of Med, Morgantown Wv 26506 (Grad. 1988)