You may also like

Rate Dr. Andrew R. Mcintosh

Dr. Andrew R. Mcintosh's Ratings

Like many parents, I was hesitant to take my son to a neurologist and have him formally diagnosed. I thought it was something he'd grow out of. "He's all boy", "he's got a lot of energy", or "he's just emotionally immature" were the common comments. When I look back and compare him to my other younger children, there was/is definitely something noticeably different about him. It started as an infant. When you find yourself exhausted from your child or constantly embarrassed by their behavior, maybe constantly saying, "no, stop, calm down, and relax" then you need to seek outside help. When you've tried everything under the sun from diet change, organic, supplements, oils, gluten free, oxygen treatments, allergy testing, and prayer and nothing is helping, you need to seek outside help. When school and homework is a challenge (ends up in tears and tantrums) or their peer relationships are affected, you need to seek outside help. That's what we did by second grade. Luckily the 2nd grade teacher did have special needs children of her own. She knew I pushed against the idea of medication. When the teacher is in tears and offers to pay for the evolution by a neurologist, then it's a big deal!

Fast forward to the first eval. Dr. McIntosh has an awesome "bedside manner". He's patient with the kiddos and really guides the parents to a conservative start on medication, should you choose that route. Our diagnosis is ADHD and Anxiety. After a school year of trying a few different medications and dosages, my son's reading level jumped 400 Lexile points (two grade levels), he soared in sports because he was able to focus, and I received nothing but great behavior reports from the school, coaches, and other parents.

We still adjust the medication here and there, but have found a routine that's working for us now. A medium dosage in the morning and small dosage 30 minutes before homework or sports. There's also 3mg of melatonin at night and a non-processed/low sugar diet. There are still outbursts and school issues here and there, but nothing that's not manageable. We have also finally earned honor roll at school. Yeah!!!

I hope this review helps someone. You owe it to your child to do what you can to help them succeed. Ignore the negative talk from your own parents and neighbors regarding medication. You'll come across the naysayers, but you're the one raising the child. You're paying for their education and raising them up to be a respectable person. You're the one dealing with the tantrums, hitting themselves, and school issues. You have the final say and wanting what's best for them is always a win-win!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2761883].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 30, 2015

Dr. McIntosh is a wonderful doctor, and very good with our 14 year old son, diagnosed with Aspergers and ADHD. He takes the time to listen to my concerns, and is so knowledgable in his ability to describe different meds and help choose the best ones for our son. I am thankful to have him as our sons neurologist.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2696690].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 25, 2015

Dissatisfied... Need I say more. Did not like his diagnosis of my child. He acted annoyed with my opinions. Did not feel I was listen to

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2670086].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 3, 2015

Great doctor. I trust him with healing me of my epilepsy. I haven't had a seizure in 4 years thanks to him

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2440742].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 20, 2014

I thought my experience with Dr McIntosh was very thorough and professional. We left with an excellent treatment plan for my 15 year old with headaches. I am happy to recommend this doctor.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2440741].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 16, 2014

Dr. Macintosh is so wonderful! His front desk staff are so kind upon entering. It was me and my daughters first time going to the office and usually you meet the doctor after being admitted into the room but he came out introduced himself to the both of us. He reassured my daughter that this was a painless appointment. It really comforted her because she was a bit nervous. He put everything at ease for me and answered every question I had wonderful doctor!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2440740].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 12, 2014

My son and I have had a great experience with Dr. McIntosh. His plan for my son, who is on the Autistic Spectrum, has been very helpful for both him and myself. I really like the resources on Dr. McIntosh's website. His videos on Autistic Spectrum, ADD, etc. are very informative.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1069394].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 13, 2013

Dr. McIntosh relates well to my children during their check-ups, and is very helpful in working with us to empower our kids to excel at school. I also appreciate that the wait time at his office is always less than 10 minutes and that parking is free and easy to access.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1069393].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 29, 2013

Angie and Dr. McIntosh were extremely inviting. Made my daughter and I very comfortable. Very knowledgable. My daughter is very aprehensive when it comes to dr's and she really liked it. It wasn't awkward at all. :)

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1069392].votes_count ]]