Ratings for Dr. Anthony T. Carter

I see I am not the only one who has had a bad experience. He has obviously had some successes, and now has more patients by old word of mouth and picks and chooses who he will see or leave waiting for hours till his very unprofessional PA comes into the exam room and scurries you out, taking your ins info and co-pay. This ofc should be investigated for the treatment or lack of, for patients who are unsuspecting of how Carter picks his patients. Yes, he picks you! According to your Xray, that they will take before he sees you at all. If you are not going to be a candidate for a surgical procedure, forget rehab or Phys Ther., he goes for the scalpel, and the ole bait and switch technique of sending in a staff member who looks official to rush you out. I see other patients discussing their time delay, the day I went just weeks ago, the staff pretended that was not a usual event. Had I googled this Dr first, I never would have gone. A big lesson learned. Apparently this guy has more patients than he can adequately handle, so why make yourself one more? The whole office has problems with how they treat people who are in need of medical advice or service. I have learned that this area is not home to the brightest in their field. I have also learned that Drs with limited time will not give adequate after care when things might not be at their best. A hip or knee is too important to leave to chance, get that plane ticket to the best and save yourself some misery

flag | Submitted December 2, 2015

I had a bilateral knee replacement with Dr. Carter in April. I couldn't have been more pleased with him, his staff and Bon Secor. I was only in surgery an hour and a half.. My pain was controlled, my bell was answered quickly, and everyone was saying you are doing so well you must be Dr. Carter's patient. I was discharged in two days.

flag | Submitted June 16, 2015

I am 58 years old, moderately active and started experiencing pain in my left hip about 4 years ago. At first I thought it was a groin pull but it continued to persist over time. Last year it got so bad I had my family doctor do an x-ray and we found that I had hardly any cartilage in my left hip. In just the last year, it progressed to being bone-on-bone. That is when I decided to get a hip replacement. I researched a lot Ortho surgeons and found that Dr. Anthony Carter came highly recommended. I am writing this letter just one week after my surgery and wanted to convey my experiences with Dr. Carter’s care team. On my first visit with Dr. Carter he spent as much time as I needed going over all the options. We agreed that a hip replacement was in order. His team scheduled the surgery for 3 months from my initial visit, which, given his busy schedule was not unreasonable. A month before the surgery I went to the pre-surgery class that explained what to expect related to the surgery itself, medications, recovery, etc. This class was given at Mary Immaculate Hospital where the surgery was to take place. I highly recommend this class, in that it alleviated a lot of my anxiety over what was coming. The day of my surgery followed pretty much everything they covered in class. I can’t say enough about the care they gave me every step of the way, before during and after the surgery. Dr. Carter saw me before and after my surgery. He was very caring and answered all my questions. My surgery started at 11:00 in the morning and I was in recovery by 12:30 and in my own room by 2. Note: During scheduling, ask for a surgery time as early as possible. While they can’t guarantee a time, it at least it lets them know your wishes. By 4 PM they had me up and walking short distances. The next morning they continued with longer walks and even had me traverse 2 flights of stairs, up and down, before being discharged at 12:30. The first two days at home are the worst for pain, not hip pain, but soreness around the incision and the muscles around the hip. I forced myself to do the PT exercises they prescribed and was walking around the house without the assistance of a cane by the third day. I cannot emphasize enough that you have to do your exercises to recover faster. No pain-no-gain. The pain was only muscle pain. Every day the soreness subsided to the point that 1 week after surgery a have hardly any soreness and my mobility is back to where it was before I started this journey…but pain free. In my opinion, my experience would not have been as good if it wasn’t for the skill of Dr. Carter and his care team. Also, Mary Immaculate’s staff was always friendly and took great care of me. Thank you Dr. Carter, his care team and the staff at Mary Immaculate Hospital.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2015

Had a total hip in 2012. Good result. I returned 2 years later with pain in other hip. Was told I would see Dr. Carter but I saw his PA. Supposedly Dr. Carter saw my x-ray and ordered an MRI. I obtained the test and made an appointment. Again, I saw the PA. I was told Dr. Carter would call me. He never did. I left messages with his nurse and an email. No return call or email. Very odd. Am searching for another surgeon. This is an unexceptable way to run a surgeon's practice.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2015

I had both of my knees replaced in April 2012. Best thing I've ever done. They were both done by Dr. Carter at the same time. I haven't had any problems since. He changed my life and I couldn't be happier with him or his staff.

flag | Submitted November 24, 2014

Dr. Carter performed a RTHR for me on 12/22/11. My complaints of hip pain and rotation were ignored. Dr. Carter doesn't listen to his patient's symptoms. My hip dislocated twice just a week apart in February, 6 weeks after surgery. Dr. Carter replaced the Right Hip with a different brand hip on March 1 2012. I have had nothing but problems. Swelling, pain and spasms. Dr. Carter's response to this was he has done all he could do. Dr. Carter's ability is nothing more then that of an assembly line worker. He puts the hips in at a ridicules rate, he is paid by the hip manufactures to promote and use their product which is a conflict of interest for the patient. Dr. Carter isn't a medical doctor, he is a factory doctor, as long as you need a part he's there to slap it in. But if you need true physician to care for you, Dr. Carter is NOT QUALIFIED. Please rethink before you put your life, your ability to walk and your future in his incompetent hands.

flag | Submitted May 23, 2014

I must say that I think we all feel we are the most important patient. If you consider the amount of patients to 1 doctor ratio I feel he and his staff do a tremendous job.He has been my ortho for a lot of years now and I will have a partial knee done in March. I have the utmost confidence in Dr. Carter. Yes he may seem busy and rushed but has always taken the time needed for treatment and planning. I don't need a friend but I do need a doctor, on that note I"d be honored to consider him a friend.I"ve told people "the man walks on water" maybe a bit much but well deserved.He is the best orthopedic I"ve had to rely on.He straightened out some previous surgery and its been great. I will repost after surgery and I'm sure it will be a great report. You rock Doc , BillyB

flag | Submitted February 11, 2014

I contacted Dr Carter's office in Nov 2013 after bring told by my PCp and my pain mgmt Dr that my left hip was in danger of dislocation and required a replacement. After hearing all the great recommendations about him I called his office. I was given a consultation appt for...Jan 30,2014! When I explained the imminent urgency of my condition to the somewhat detached sounding receptionist, and that I needed to know soon if Carter could even take me, else I look elsewhere,she gave me Carter's nurse secretary's number & told me to explain in detail my situation & why I desired Carter to perform the procedure, which I did, TWICE, to her VOICE MAIL. I never received a return call, in spite of "we return all calls within 2 business days", & in spite of my reaching out again to the receptionist. In desperation I turned to Atlantic Orthopedics Dr Raymond Payne on Dec 13, who urgently insisted due to the severity of my condition I have the surgery immediately, on Christmas Eve. Sad. True.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2014

I had my hip replacement 2 years ago and developed pain after initally doing okay. I returned to see doctor carter and was brushed off by his PA and no workup was done. The pain got worse and after not getting any progress I went to another surgeon in Richmond. It seems doctor carter has lots of problems and many of them have to go elsewhere to get corrected. I would caution anyone from undergoing surgery with him and encourage a second opinion with another surgeon.

flag | Submitted September 27, 2013

I had a total hip replacement with Dr. Carter just two weeks ago, and today I am now walking with no assistance, cane, walker, etc. I am also now taking no pain pills. I cannot imagine any complaints regarding how rushed he was. Sure, he's an incredibly busy guy, but he always took the time to answer all of my questions, both before surgery, and after. My preliminary appointment was actually five miniutes early. He was in my hospital room the night of the surgery at 6:00 pm (exhausted I'm sure), and again the next morning at 6:00 am.

flag | Submitted June 19, 2013

Dr. Anthony T. Carter's Credentials

• Boston Univ Sch Of Med, Boston Ma 02118 (Grad. 1987)