Ratings for Dr. Michael Bushuk

I saw him twice, last time over a year ago. Gave me an injection that really helped with my knee and suggested Durolane injections in both knees. I said I would think about it because I was very put off by his rudely telling me I was fat. Did not show any compassion or civil bedside manners.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2017

Dr. Michael Bushuk is an amazing surgeon. He is direct, professional, honest and caring. I have had both hips replaced since July 2016 and have had no problems. I walk normally and friends and family cannot believe how quickly I recovered. He follows up with regular appointments to make sure everything is alright. During those appointments I have talked to many people who had had replacements done by other surgeons and were still having problems. All of them wishing they had met Dr. Bushuk sooner. It i s wonderful to be pain free and know that your surgeon cares. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to Queen Elizabeth.

flag | Submitted April 26, 2017

Doctor Bushuk has given me a new lease on life!! In the midst of recovering from total hip replacement surgery (by another doctor), my knee has given out - not surprising; it's been arthritic for over 20 years. The MRI would signal a knee replacement but, due to my age (64) and other factors, he'd like to hold off. So the treatment was cortisone - behind the knee and in the epicentre of the hip pain from bursitis. I'm doing really well! I can walk without my cane (although I use it for long distance), and I'm more or less pain free!!! I had a six-week checkup with him today and all is well. I know the cortisone is temporary but it's definitely working for me. As a surgeon, he could have simply said "let's go" with the surgery, but he wants to wait - because he believes that's in my best interests. AND he has a good sense of humour as well! I'm extremely pleased. So happy my GP referred me to Dr. Bushuk.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2017

I am so grateful to Dr. Bushuk, He has given me the gift of being able to walk again. I am a retired nurse and worked on an orthopedic floor for about ten years during my career. I first saw Dr. Bushuk April 2016 for knee replacement surgery. He was friendly, professional and very informative. He booked my surgeries for Sept. 2016 and Jan. 2017. All went well with both surgeries. I went to The Scarborough Hospital for physiotherapy as he recommended. The staff and the program was wonderful. It is now 1 year since I first met Dr. Bushuk and he continues to see me in his clinic.I am walking without any pain and have full range of motion in both knees. I have already recommended Dr. Bushuk to a friend who has knee replacement surgery in her future.

flag | Submitted April 11, 2017

I saw Dr. Bushuk for a torn meniscus. The office welcomed me and Dr. Bushuk could not have been nicer. he took great care in examining my knee and drew diagrams to make sure that I clearly understood my injury. he treated me with a cortisone shot and I will see him again in 6 weeks to determine next steps. I am very impressed with this doctor and would not hesitate to recommend him to others.

flag | Submitted April 2, 2017

I was referred to Dr. Bushuk by my family doctor. After suffering for approximately three years with knee pain and the inability to walk it was recommended that I have a double knee replacement. As I had become knocked kneed it was also necessary to have my ligaments released. I had my first surgery in September of 2015 and the second knee replaced in December of the same year. Dr. Bushuk is an incredible surgeon. I am now pain fee and have 100% flexibility in both knees. The staff in the Physio Department at the Scarborough Hospital were excellent. I would highly recommend Dr. Bushuk.

flag | Submitted March 20, 2017

Dr. Bushuk tells it like it is. I wish I was not so stubborn and listened to him. I suffered in pain until I had total hip replacement surgery. The surgery and the recovery were amazing I had no pain!! Dr. Bushuk is amazing really knows his stuff the follow up appointments he gives great advice. Thank you Dr. Bushuk you changed my life. I am pain free. Yes, I would totally recommend Dr. Bushuk to anyone, do not wait like I did.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2017

In the case of my two severely painful knees that require replacememt, I purposely sought Dr. Bushek's expertise. As a morbidly obese patient, i was nervous about his reaction to my complex condition. I was pleasantly surprised on all levels of the consult: Dr. Bushuk was patient, knowledgeable, very sensitive to my physical situation and provided advice and solutions without pressure for me to make a decision. Once we decided on a course of treatment he and his staff provided the procedure in a professional and efficient manner. Even in my overweight condition, his conversation remained professional with comfortable use of medical terminology (i.e. morbidly obese) and he did not make me feel inferior or uncomfortable in any way. He addresed the medical fact that one solution to alleviate pain is sensible weight loss. And it would be safer for surgery once i went thst route. His recomendation for the non-OHIP covered injection was without pressure and safe for my situation. He explained the risks and chance that it may not work so i was fully apprised. The fact that this expensive injection only partially worked for me does not deter me from the course of treatment I will pursue based on his advice, which includes us addressing my obesity. I was never once made to feel "fat" or disrespected and he certainly never used the word fat in the course if the consult and treatment. I am frustrated reading comments on this site by patients who take medical terminology the wrong way, clearly indicating their ignorance and denial of their own physical condition. Terms like "obesity" define an actual medical condition which is complex. And if these patients choose to personally equate the term for just being "fat" they make a serious mistake in not understanding the condition - and they certainly shouldn't blame Dr, Bushuk for their ignorance. He isn't rude, he's realistic in looking at the patient's whole condition, not jist a hip or knee alone. I am grateful for his direct approach, impressed by his treatment and will look forward to follow-up and further care. I wil recommend him wholeheartedly. Thank you.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2017

He is rude. I went to see him about a torn meniscus . He looked at my MRI and said I needed a total knee replacement. He sold me a 500 dollainjection that did not work. When I went for my follow up he said there was nothing wrong with my knee and I didn't need back knee replacement. He said I was over weight and that was my problem. I have always been a small person but in the last three years I have gained weight since my knee got bad. I do not understand how he could say I needed a knee replacement and than after selling me a 500 dollar injection change his opinion. I left his office confused, angry and with little hope. I wouldn't recommend this Dr but if you do please record your conversation. This way you know what he is saying and instead of arguing with him you have proof of what he said.

flag | Submitted February 15, 2017

My first two visit he seemed nice and caring. He said I needed a total knee replacement. He said to try durolane first. I got the 500 dollar injection and it didn't work. My third visit he said nothing was wrong with me except I was fat. I left his office confused and I felt totally alone. He was rude and made me feel like a piece of dirt. If any one is going to see him RECORD your visits. He is very rude and should retire. Hateful hateful excuse for a human let alone a Dr.

Submitted February 15, 2017