Ratings for Dr. John Vangoor

Wake up and smell the roses. Your insufferable staff is wrecking your practice. I have been a patient for 47 years and have been forced to find a new doctor. When Trish was there, even though sometimes crankie, she was very good at her job. I could always phone for an appointment and actually get through. Not anymore. Your staff turns the phone on for 3 hours a day and then never answers. I always had faith in you but not any more. Even when you get your test done, no one ever calls if something is wrong. What good is that. My new Doctor discovered that I am diabetic , WHY DIDN'T YOU. Shame on you

flag | Submitted September 25, 2015

I am currently a medical office assistant student and I was privileged to complete a few of my practicum hours at Dr. Vangoor's Office. I am somewhat appalled at the low ratings and comments on this site as I witnessed something completely different during my tenure there. Firstly, Dr. Vangoor is a knowledgeable, compassionate and personable Doctor. He ensured that his patients received quality care and though this might mean dedicating more time than is slated I've never seen a single patient leave his examination room with a frown or a quizzical expression. I've personally visited Doctors in Alberta that showed absolutely no interest in my wellbeing so I think his methodology is great. While I cannot vouch for the behavioural pattern portrayed by the staff, I can say that he has not yet adopted the technological means of operation thus there's tonnes of physical filing to do on a daily basis and it is not only time-consuming but tiring. I concentrated on the filing department while I was there and trust me when I say that it's A LOT and as you can imagine it requires diligence and focus. Absence of a receptionist from the front desk doesn't necessarily mean that she is idling in the back. Please exercise a little patience and understanding. NB. While our main priority is facilitating the smooth operation of the Clinic/Office the job of a receptionist doesn't merely include answering the phones and checking in patients. Admittedly, hiring additional staff might alleviate the problems you've described. All in all, I apologize on behalf of Dr. Vangoor and I trust that you will have a better experience when next you drop in or call. He is a great Doctor. Alicia

flag | Submitted November 17, 2014

Dr. Van Goor is an exceptional physician. He is one of the doctors from long ago who trusted their patients until proven otherwise and one who remembers the oath he took to place his patient's best interest first! Nowadays we have a corporate grown AHS 'doctors' who have their new oath of politics first. If you can't take his humour, go to a placating AHS made physician who will say one thing to you then chart and treat the way they are told - not in your best interest but the province's best interest!

flag | Submitted October 30, 2014

Hello this is Veronica I used to work with him he was a great man to work for I just could not handle the drama at that clinic I miss a lot of the patients and I did try to do my best in turning the phone situation better in my 3 months there

flag | Submitted October 25, 2014

Dr vangoor delivered me at birth. Although he has some serious reception problems, he is a fabulous doctor and always listens to what I have to say. He is very thorough and I will be very sad the day he retires. There is no other doctor out there like him.

flag | Submitted October 9, 2014

Dr. Vangoor and his staff have become not only completely useless and incompetent, but outright dangerous. First, the annoying - The office no longer takes phone calls so the only way to book an appointment is to do so at a previous appointment or to come in person. They will not call you about test results, so you have to make an appointment yourself - which of course is a catch-22, because it's nearly impossible to do so. And when you do arrive for your appointment? Prepare to wait 1-3 hours to see the doctor while watching the office staff chat with patients and each other yet tell anyone walking in to make an appointment how busy the phones are. The dangerous - his staff are so incompetent and disorganized, they literally just don't bother making referrals. I was supposed to see a specialist months ago and recently found out at an appointment I had to make by walking-in that they had just never bothered to do it! Thankfully I was able to get into another doctor who made the referral for me right away, otherwise I would be suffering for months because of his staff. And Dr. Vangoor? He is also useless - forgetful, unorganized and just doesn't care anymore about my health, just wants to chat about other stuff and make borderline inappropriate comments about my appearance. I asked about my recent test results, and he opened my file and started reading results from months ago. I said, those are not my most recent tests - he had to go to the back to get them and even then he kept brushing off my concerns. I keep telling him I have pain and he keeps recommending the same medicine which I've tried and doesn't work. Dr Vangoor, if you read this - please retire and sell your practice to a doctor who still cares about his patients, who is up-to-date on medical knowledge and technology and who hires competent staff. You are doing a real disservice to your long-time patients by treating us this way, and it is incredibly frustrating because I shouldn't have to go find a new doctor who has no information on my health history when you could just do the decent thing and pass down your practice to someone who is available and who cares about their patient's health and well-being.

Submitted October 2, 2014

Dr Vangoor russian staff is absolutely disgusting and they need to be fired they are disrespectful rude and very unprofessional Veronica how ever was nice but her college she can go she don't answer the phone she sits with the head set on her head and letting the phone ring and the only way to make an appointment is show up in person or better yet book an appointment for every single week so for 52 weeks to insure when you are sick you can see the doctor... The Russian witch was soo disgusting she said find a new doctor! If you don't like the way I work very insulted and I will be showing doctor Vangoor all these comments so he's aware how people are feeling about these Russian witches making fun of you and laughing in a different language

flag | Submitted September 26, 2014

I have been going to Dr. VanGoor for almost 14 years as did my family. The problem is not with him but with his staff. They do not answer the phone. Today I have been trying since 11:30 until now at 3:00 pm and no luck to set up an appointment. I was instructed by the hospital to have a follow up after my surgery with my GP but it seems they no longer answer phones to do so. As much as I hate to I will have to find another doctor who has staff that actually work not sit and chat in Russian while the phone is ringing off the wall. My health is a serious matter to me and I am not trying to fit in for a hair appointment. Trish may have been rude and grumpy on ocassion but she did her job. I refuse to sit in emergency over a swollen foot or throat infection for twelve or more hours and waste the doctor's time when there are real emergency cases. The hospital is not a doctor's office or walk in.

flag | Submitted March 11, 2014

Dr. Van Goor has the most inefficient, rude staff I have had the misfortune to meet recently, the phones don't get answered and when they do answer, I have been put on hold for 15 minutes at a time, I have been seeing Dr Van Goor since 2003 after a car accident and have been using his services since then as a family doctor, however, I am now moving to a physician that is more approachaable, where the staff doesn't talk down to you and your wait time is cut down to a half hour rather than the 2 hours I have had to wait to see a doctor. When trying to make an appointment, I have been given appointment times 2 months away from the day I have actually been able to reach some one in this office, guess what by the time I get to see a doctor, I could possibly be in the hospital or dead. Dr Van Goor need to retire and find staff that are competent at the least. He had good and efficient staff but in the last few years its been a downhill spiral with the receptionists his been hiring!!

flag | Submitted January 24, 2014

I am writing partially to provide a context to many of the other comments here. I have known Dr. Van Goor on a professional basis for about thirty years, and have known him to be attentive to patients' special circumstances and needs, and to be a flexible and patient practitioner. Recently, I had to help a young patient with significant medical issues to find a family doctor in Calgary. Dr. Van Goor has helped this patient, and I don't think anyone else could have done a better job. He was thorough in his initial assessment, up to date in his knowledge of the relevant conditions, reassuring in his manner, and prescribed helpful treatments. I am pleased to recommend him on this website.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2014