Ratings for Dr. John Birchard

I wish I had the same great experience that many of the people here have had with Dr Birchard. Unfortunately, that was not the case. After going through countless tests to determine why I had chronic pain in my shoulder, my pcp finally referred me to a surgeon. I had been experiencing pain in my shoulder for years, and I had always been told it was because I was double jointed or that it was 'in my head'. Dr Birchard was no different - he was reluctant to even do surgery on me since my MRI showed no obvious problem. I had to advocate for myself and demand an exploratory surgery to determine why my shoulder was constantly dislocating. He agreed to do it as an exploratory surgery and I was scheduled in within a few months. The surgery itself...well I had no idea what happened until weeks later. Dr Birchard did not even bother to explain what he did in the OR, I had to make an appointment with my pcp to be informed as to what even happened! Turns out that pain was not 'in my head'. He performed a surgical repair of my shoulder joint to stop it from constantly dislocating. He gave me a pamphlet and some pain meds and walked out of the room. He did not tell me how long to keep my arm in a sling, he did not tell me what I can expect after having a surgery like that. It was awful. His office didn't return my phone calls after I felt a popping in my shoulder days after the procedure. He refused to provide medical notes to my physiotherapist, which delayed my care even further. His bedside manner was atrocious, he was utterly unwilling to provide any information regarding what happened to my own body. If I ever needed another surgery like this, I would never choose to see Dr Birchard.

flag | Submitted September 1, 2017

Dr John Birchard is very compassionate, answers all of my questions, and is very helpful. I feel lucky to have him as my orthopedic surgeon and has helped me a great deal with my broken hip. Staff has always been polite and professional.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2017

Very thorough, spent time explaining everything, excellent surgeon.

flag | Submitted January 5, 2017

Very knowledgeable and has an excellent rapport with patients. He was always attentive while listening to me and took the time to conduct a very thorough examination. The surgery he performed on me was well done and the pain relief really improved my life. His bedside manner while I was recovering in the hospital was very compassionate and supportive. I was very well looked after by Dr. Birchard and I couldn't recommend him enough.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2016

After 3 surgeries in 3 years (one emergency broken ankle and two knees) w we rate Dr. Birchard very highly. Excellent rapport with patient and very good bedside manner. I hope not to see him too frequently, but recommend very highly.

Submitted July 18, 2016

He has performed 2 knee replacement surgeries for me...excellent

Submitted May 16, 2016

DR. Birchard has once again repaired some heavy damage I have suffered. I totally destroyed my elbow and needing much repair I am now on the mend. The last time was my ankle and it was a mess having no trouble with it .

flag | Submitted February 11, 2016

About four years ago I ruptured my achilles tendon, I was about 31 years old and in very good physical condition. It happened Saturday afternoon and I had surgery with Dr. Birchard on Sunday afternoon, he assured me he has done as many if not more of these surgeries than anyone else around and was very confident that I should have the surgery. Since recovery I have competed in two kickboxing tournaments and won both times, today I do very well in both sports, continuing to learn and share what I know with others. I would recommend Dr. Birchard as a surgeon, he was also very helpful during my recovery.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2016

Dr. Birchard is very clear with his information and makes sure you completely understand what is going on. Excellent bedside manner which I appreciate. Both times I have been to his office, I have had to wait over an hour for my appointment.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2016

I had a hip replacement done by him and after he damaged the hip during the first attempt, I had to have another attempt, which also failed. I have suffered in constant pain since that time and I cannot live my life like this so I have decided to make an attempt to have this repaired. I will not be seeking his lack of expertise to repair this mess !

flag | Submitted October 23, 2015