Dr. Sean E. McCance

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Sean E. McCance

Rude. Dismissive, Busy. Don't offer help unless you ask. Like a little factory... and you're the product, not the patient. It's all about them. Also my surgery failed and had to be repeated.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2017

Dr. McCance saved my life. His skill in performing my complex fusion surgery was awesome.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2017

Very detailed oriented; choices the best option for each patient

flag | Submitted June 24, 2017

Before surgery, I could no longer sit long enough to read a serious book. I could walk, but that was the limit of exercise, and the pain rose by the end of the day. Dr. McCance performed a lumbar laminectomy and a disk fusion. He was brilliant. Two months after surgery I had 50% less pain. Three months after surgery the pain was largely gone, and I was back to work. Four months after surgery, and I was able to play a little tennis. The surgery gave me my life back.

flag | Submitted September 1, 2016

The "go-to" spine surgeon in NYC for herniated discs. I can give no higher recommendation than to "say" he gave me my life back.

flag | Submitted August 10, 2016

Clearly Dr. McCance is a doctor that has mastered his specialty. Very cultivated in his field, thorough, professional, and most importantly compassionate towards the needs of his patients. My experience with him and his office was extraordinary. After cervical spine fusion surgery my pain was completely gone. The staff was professional, courteous, and attentive to my medical needs. I am grateful for all you've done. Thank you Dr. McCance! MC

flag | Submitted June 17, 2016

After 10 years of back pain. After back fusion spinal surgery all pain is gone. Dr. McCance and his team were exceptional. The professionalism was incredible.

flag | Submitted April 4, 2016

from the time I came out of anesthesia the pain was gone and never reappeared. am now able to walk miles or stand still for a long time with no pain what so ever. Never even took anything for pain as I was pain free immediately after operation.

flag | Submitted April 4, 2016

Dr McCance has magic hands!! A brilliant surgeon! I am so grateful to him! I was in terrible trouble. As a result of a fall I totally lost my balance. I could not walk without holding the wall. I needed cervical neck surgery to correct my balance as well as lower back because I had severe stenosis and I couldn't walk without pain. Now I am pain free!!!! And the staff is wonderful!!

flag | Submitted April 4, 2016

He told me I needed a fusion. When I figured out he did not take my insurance I went for another opinion. I had a minimally invasive procedure with no fusion and I feel great. Find a doctor who wants to perform surgery for the right reasons and not just for the money.

flag | Submitted November 15, 2015

Dr. Sean E. McCance's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

For the past 20 years Dr. McCance has directed one of the leading spine surgery practices in New York. He has been recognized by his peers as one of the most accomplished surgeons in the field. Since establishing his practice Dr. McCance has performed more than 3,000 surgeries on patients from all over the world and from all walks of life. Dr. McCance carefully designed his practice right down to the waiting room chairs to make his patients feel confident, comfortable and relaxed. It is state-of-art in medicine surrounded by a warm and friendly environment. Every patient he treats commands his full attention. The words most often used to describe Dr. McCance are thorough, professional, caring and compassionate. “There is no replacement for talking directly with a patient to understand what is causing their distress,” says Dr. McCance. “It’s a matter of talking to the patient and hearing their issues, to get an accurate sense of their condition. The most important thing we do is determine what problem is driving the patient’s pain. We do that by thoroughly examining and testing the patient. And then we match his needs to the appropriate treatment, whether that is non-surgical or surgical. It’s an individual approach. Treatment is always geared to the specific needs of my patients.” His clinical approach is very simple: He will clearly explain the condition you have He will tell you what you can expect in the future He will provide you with appropriate treatment options “We want to make smart decisions. We don’t rush. And we make sure the treatment options match the source of the problem.” How does Dr. McCance define a successful outcome? “We are successful if at the end of their treatment our patients are pain-free and can return to their pre-injury level of activity. Our goal is to eliminate the pain, whenever possible, or reduce it to minimal compared to what it was.” “We also want to make the process as simple as possible for our patients. They’re already in enough pain.” That’s why Dr. McCance provides all his patients with a Personal Assistants service.His staff will contact your insurance carrier. All appointments for tests will be made by one of Dr. McCance’s staff. When appropriate, Dr. McCance will consult with other physicians involved in your care. When Dr. McCance makes a referral, a staff member will make the appointment. As one patient put it, “I never had to lift the phone.” What drew Dr. McCance to spinal surgery? “When I was young my dad suffered from severe back pain on a regular basis. I remember during the summer my sister and I had to be quiet while he was resting. We couldn’t go near his room, sometimes for several weeks at a time. When I asked people why they couldn’t help my father they would say, ‘nothing can be done.’ As a child, it was a mystery to me. He had this problem that no one could fix. And later, when I went to medical school, the spine fascinated me.” And it all starts with “where does it hurt?”

• Columbia University College Of Physicians And Surgeons (Grad. 1991)

• Membership in the prestigious “America’s Top Physicians”
  • Castle Connolly Top Doctors
  • New York Magazine's Best Doctors 2012-2015
  • Named one of “20 Spine Surgeon Leaders for Non-Profit Hospitals” in Becker’s Spine Review (July 2012)
  • Recipient of the “Patient’s Choice” Award
  • New York Super Doctors
  • Recognized by NY Resident magazine as one of “New York City’s Top 30 Doctors”

HealthPartners