Ratings for Dr. Douglas Vermilion

Out of gratitude for ONE particular review of Dr. Vermillion, which led me to make my decision to choose him to replace my seriously damaged hip, I have chosen to provide a lengthy review for the benefit of those who come after me. Unfortunately, this specific website has a 5,000 character maximum. My review is just under 7,500 characters. If you go to www.vitals.com, you can find the entirety of my review. For the benefit of those in a hurry, I will try to net this out to my primary points. First, I am covered by a Premera Blue Cross group health insurance policy, and after initially selecting a different surgeon, I discovered that Dr. Vermillion was the only in-network orthopedic surgeon in Anchorage in December of 2015,. My surgery was in January of 2016, and was very successful. My hip was not simply worn out. I severely damaged it in a high speed glissade into a boulderfield in the Colorado Rockies in August of 1979. Then, I backpacked, bump skied, day hiked, nordic skied, played softball, played racquetball, and played tennis on that hip for the next 3.5 decades, until increasing pain and range of motion issues forced me to take action. Initially, I was convinced I wanted to go the anterior approach route, which is less invasive (smaller incision) and typically shortens the recovery time. Dr. Vermillion did the anterior approach at one time, but after considerable experience with it, has opted to return to the more traditional posterior approach. In my case, that was fortuitous, because, in addition to the two sizeable bone spurs that the x-rays showed, I had a spike protruding from my hip, which was not apparent pre-surgery. It complicated the removal, and I bled more than normal. I'm just grateful I had a very competent surgeon, assisted by a talented P.A. I want to mention that Dr. Vermillion is very research-oriented, which equates to state of the art treatment. In my case, he used a very new approach to preventing post-surgical infection. It worked like a charm! I am not knowledgeable on knee replacements, but I do know that Dr. Vermillion is using some sort of new, improved approach to knee surgery. You will just have to check his website or ask him about it. I want to add some info on the personal side of Dr. Vermillion. He is very humble, but if you check his bio, which is available on the web if you Google it, you will find that he has a substantial military background. He was trained and certified as an Airborne Ranger in the U.S. Army. As an Army vet, I appreciate his dedication to his patients that showed itself in the early years of his medical career, when he was on active duty, where your income is quite limited, compared to what his non-military peers were making. Now, as a civilian, he deliberately has subjected himself to the in-network constraints on his earnings, in the interest of making orthopedic care available to more patients. If you have a group health insurance plan, be aware that if you use an out of network surgeon, you may have to pay big bucks, once your insurance company has covered their contribution. It's called "balance billing", and it is a severe threat to your financial well-being.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2016

He and his staff have been helpful and friendly in caring for my knee

flag | Submitted June 26, 2013

Dr. Vermillion is a rare orthopedic surgeon. He actually listens to his patients and takes care of them. He understands that orthopedic surgery hurts, and he does everything he can to help it hurt less. He really cares about what he is doing, and he really wants to help people. He is friendly, honest, and a talented surgeon. I would not want anyone else to touch me. I work in the medical world and I have seen how many of the orthopedic surgeons treat their patients and it is abominable. They are the worst doctors at managing pain I have ever seen and some of the things I have seen them do to people are appalling. Dr. Vermillion will not treat you like that. He will take care of what you need, and take care of you in the process. Great surgeon. Good guy. You will be comfortable. You will be well taken care of. You will not be sorry.

flag | Submitted December 13, 2012

Dr. Vermilion is the best orthopedic surgeon in Alaska! He is extremely kind, knowledgeable, and careful. Dr. Vermilion will always do what is best for you and will NOT do unnecessary tests or surgeries. If an endoscopic procedure is not required, he will not put you through it. If you want an excellent exam and excellent opinion, go to see Dr. Vermilion-you will be very confident and happy and you will probably get better faster. He's great!!

flag | Submitted April 20, 2010