Ratings for Dr. R. James Bond

Dr Bond is a kind, talented surgeon who performed the Nuss procedure on my son. Now that the bar is removed, my son can breathe freely and has a beautiful chest - Thank-you, Dr. Bond! On a side note: Dr. Bond's receptionist was a nightmare to deal with - rude, patronizing, and confrontational. I was horrified to hear the negative way she spoke to patients in the office.

flag | Submitted December 18, 2017

HOW DO I CONTACT DR. BOND. WIFE SUFFERED MILD STOKE 3WEEKS AGO, AMAZINGLY NO STROKE TO HEART OR BRAIN HOWEVER SCAN REVEALED BLOOD CLOTS FROM THE LUNGS AND INDICATION OF INOPERABLE CANCER. SHE IS CURRENTLY ON BLOOD THINNERS WITH A PROJECTED TIME FRAME OF AROUND 3 MONTHS BEFORE ANY TREATMENT CAN BEGIN......YOUR PROGRAM ON BREAKFAST TV THIS MORNING OFFERED A HORIZON OF HOPE. HOW DO WE CONTACT YOU OR ARRANGE AN APPOINTMENT, PLEASE ADVISE. TOM MC QUEEN 604 943 5663

flag | Submitted December 8, 2017

Dr. Bond saved my life. I was diagnosed with Stage 3 non-small cell lung cancer in December of 2016. I had a baseball-sized tumour in my lower left lung, very near my aorta. The prognosis from my radiation and chemotherapy oncologists was not positive. They said that the care could only be palliative, due to the large size and location of the tumour. I was very lucky in that the cancer had not, to the oncologists’ great surprise, spread to my lymph nodes. The oncologists guesstimated that I had six to 12 months to live. Both said that surgery was not an option, due to the size and location of the primary baseball-sized tumour. Chilliwack pulmonologist Dr. Jen Wilson suggested that I at least talk to a surgeon and referred me to Dr. Bond. He thoroughly reviewed my file and CT scans. Dr. Bond thought he could remove the primary tumour. It would be five-hour surgery, with the attendant risks that accompany such a major surgery. He talked to the oncologists as well. They said, after talking with Dr. Bond, that it was “not unreasonable” to have the surgery, in spite of their earlier assessment. After talking with my family, I decided to proceed. The risks were worth it to me to take a chance on a longer life rather than receive palliative treatment. I am forever grateful I made that choice and put my future in Dr. Bond's very capable hands. Dr. Bond was then able to remove the large, primary tumour. However, due to its placement - right against my aorta - he could not create a negative margin around the tumour site. As he said, if he went any further, I would not be here to tell the story due to the proximity to the aorta. I would have died if he’d gone any further. Without a negative margin, he recommended I have follow-up chemo and radiation. Initially, my oncologists said chemo and radiation could not be done, as the lower left lung area was simply too large an area to treat. Again, Dr. Bond suggested an answer. He suggested a way they could specifically target only the area where the cancerous tumour had been. The surgery was difficult, and I was in hospital for almost a month with post-operative complications. Dr. Bond and his colleagues provided excellent care as I recuperated. After I recovered from surgery and regained strength, I began my chemo and radiation treatments. I had three rounds of chemo and 30 radiation treatments. It has been a long and difficult year. But 10 months after being told I would likely not live out the year, I am in remission. A recent CT scan showed I do not have any tumours. I will have CT scans every few months to monitor my health. Dr. Bond provided a perspective that pushed the oncologists to view my situation differently. His care and skill in the surgery and post-operative care were excellent. His office staff were lovely to deal with, polite and helpful during what is a very difficult time. I joke with my family and friends that Dr. Bond and God are side-by-side in my view! My family and I are eternally grateful to Dr. Bond. Margaret Westad and family

flag | Submitted December 7, 2017

I would not hesitate to recommend Dr. bond or his staff... They are Life savers

flag | Submitted October 16, 2017

I had a Nuss bar removal a few days ago and I am very happy with the results, I am able to breathe normally and the results are fantastic. In 2014 I had the Nuss bar done and I always follow up with Dr Bond with any questions that I had and they will always scheduled to see me if I needed it any advice or help. The staff was very professional and handled the procedure in a profesinonal manner from the very beginning. I don't understand the comments below that you have been reschedule for couple of times.... So what...I think is normal when other patients have a life threatening surgery to be done. Wake up people! All the staff that worked with him from the office and Surgical room have done an amazing job including the staff at the surgery admissions at Surrey memorial. Thank you Dr. Bond for changing my life!

flag | Submitted September 23, 2017

After being diagnosed with a paralyzed Lt diaphragm in 2014 - only able to breathe properly unless upright - was told at St Paul's Hospital that there was nothing that could be done , my GP referred me to Dr. Bond. Within 6 months, he performed a diaphragmatic plication which changed my life. I was able to breathe normally, exercise, walk without shortness of breath - and even go back to work. Am grateful every day that my GP knew who would be able to help me!

flag | Submitted September 17, 2017

Seen this doctor and waited an hour past appointment time. I understand this if he was busy but when he came in he was rude, short and dismissive before I said a word . He should realize patients see him because they are worried or scared in regards to their situation. The last thing they need is the doctor to be rude. Whether they are busy or not or a great surgeon they should treat patients with some sort of compassion.

flag | Submitted September 9, 2017

It has been years since Dr Bond was part of my surgical team to perform a rib resection. I am still in pain. I found Dr Bond to be vain and over-confident and under-qualified. After almost two months in the hospital, and going into cardiac arrest, I was transferred to another hospital whose surgeons stated that Dr Bond and the other two surgeons who worked on me were 'in over their heads'. Dr Bond never accepted any responsibility during the morbidity study; he is so full of himself.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2017

Dr Bond is amazing and helped me when no one else would.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2017

Have recently begun to seriously consider getting the nuss procedure done and was wondering what to expect from Dr Bond. After reading some reviews I am having some second thoughts and fears about seeing him. If anyone has gone through it and would be willing to share some information that would be awesome. You can contact me at vincentdonovan6@gmail.com. Thanks

flag | Submitted January 27, 2017