Ratings for Dr. Howard Green

I too had the hypocure surgery for a flat foot where the ankle completely caved in and I could not walk. I did absolutely the wrong thing, I went on the internet to see if there were others who had this same issue and came across the surgery and the fact that there were very few doctors in BC that do it but that there were two and Dr. Howard Green was one of them. I booked an appointment and asked him to go through it with me and advise if I was a good candidate for a successful outcome. He went through what would happen thoroughly and advise that I was a good candidate, he also said he was trained only to put the stint in and take it out both of which would cost$$$$. I went ahead with the surgery and at this point I will say I agree with the assessment of his personality ... very bland, dry, humourless unapproachable however he did the surgery in sterilized environment quickly and efficiently. The trouble is my foot has swollen up on and off daily and I have had difficulty walking ever since. I feel that Dr. Green failed me by not suggesting physiotherapy or even insisting upon it or any other kind of follow up on the surgery. Anyway fast forward 4 years of pain and difficulty and almost falling over when I had nothing to lean on to walk once , due to swelling and pain when stepping down on my heel. I finally did the right thing and went to my family doctor who sent me to an orthopaedic surgeon. I saw him yesterday and he was thorough and suggested the course of action to take now and in the first place. He was very positive that as long as my bones looked good he will be able to help me. Here is where it gets interesting...he said there is no evidence at all that the stints work and he doesn't agree with the operation and that the very first thing Dr. Green should have done was council me to see my family doctor first and get a referral to a surgeon. Which of course all would have been done for free, including the surgery. Hearing this now, from the surgeon,I see how foolish I was not going through my family doctor first and want you to benefit from my experience. It will be another 3 weeks before I can get into a ct scan for my bones and a week after that to see the surgeon again and then who knows when for the operation . Then almost a year of rest and physio before I will be able to walk , as the surgeon said for at least 3 or 4 hours at a time instead of my current 30 mins before needing to rest my foot. In total likely 5 years of problems walking. It was two years after the stint was put in and trying physio, orthotics, ice, rest and countless pairs of shoes for comfort and support before I started thinking I had to look into it further and went to my family doctor and the next two years were spent going through different appointments to finally reach the very overworked specialist.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2016

I saw Dr Green to remove an ingrown. He did the procedure and it seemed to be fine but I couldn't see what he was doing. When I went to clean my foot I noticed my toe nail was cut on a angle and access skin as still there even though he said it will be cut. After a week my toe was still infected and worse. I went another podiatrist who said why was it cut on an angle and he thought I cut it. He said the ingrown is deep. He had done a straight cut and cut my extra skin off. Everything went well with.

flag | Submitted October 7, 2016

I had the hyprocure surgery over a year ago and waited for the full recovery period before reviewing. Unfortunately the surgery was unsuccessful and has left me with chronic pain. My foot never settled and I now walk (painfully) with an obvious limp. Since the surgery I also have bumps on my bones up my leg past my hips and can barely walk in runners and not at all in any other type of shoe, as my foot tilts to the outer side. I did let Dr Green know my foot didn't feel right at each post op appointment but was assured that it would be fine. I was told before the surgery I'd be walking out.... still can barley walk. Quality of life has depreciated greatly. Worth considering the cost of this surgery as it can render you disabled.

flag | Submitted September 14, 2016

I saw Dr Green for pain in my heel that developed quite suddenly during an 8km run over a year ago. The first thing he did was wrap a bandage around my foot and tell me to keep running and see if it helped. It didn't. Without ever touching my foot or checking the ankle motion, or even suggesting stretching exercises, ice, or heat (or anything) he gave me a prescription for anti-inflammatories, fitted me with a set of severe $625 orthotics and sent me on my way. I now have constant, worse pain in both heels and am seeing a physiotherapist and waiting to see an orthopaedic surgeon. I wish I had read these reviews before going to see him. I would probably not be in so much pain today (more than a year later) and would have saved myself a lot of money.

flag | Submitted June 18, 2016

Punctual. Very knowledgeable. Explained the cause of my problem and the various treatment options. Would definitely recommend!

flag | Submitted April 4, 2016

Found him arrogant with poor interpersonal skills. Didn't really answer my questions and was in a rush to leave treatment room. He taped my foot so fast I didn't have time to stop him. Ended up hurting my arch and took tape off within 10 min of leaving office. Waste of my time and money. Wouldn't recommend him. I wish his people skills were were on par with his beautiful office!!

flag | Submitted December 7, 2015

Approximately five years ago I was referred to this alleged Dr. ( herein referred to as the Butcher)by my family physician for re-occurring and degenerating foot and ankle difficulties. After some attempts at treatment and appointments, it was suggested that surgery would be a permanent option. Having had my family physician for well over 35 years, and always an advocate for mine and my family's health, I entrusted that his referral to the butcher and his the course of treatment via surgery was the right for me. A stent was eventually inserted in my ankle to apparently permanently stabilize everything. Several months thereafter, there was no improvement and in fact, the condition of my foot deteriorated significantly. The Butcher then indicated that the lack of success was most likely due to an incorrect stent size...the procedure was then repeated. Yes, you guessed it...many months went by, I was in constant pain 24/7, sleepless nights, walking with limp, lugging my foot what felt like a lead weight. And at times, not mobile. I returned to my family physician, insisted upon referral to orthopedic surgeon. Eventual appointment, only to be told by this surgeon, that the stent " was not doing what it was intended to do". This surgeon then referred me to a "super specialist", one of just a handful in the country in one our highly respected hospitals. I met with the "super specialist" and his team over two years ago. Because this highly regarded team is so busy, wait list very lengthy, but well worth the wait. After two years of being waitlisted, surgery took place two weeks ago. I am told the surgery took three hours, "lots of work was required". I am so grateful to this "super specialist" and the team. They removed the unnecessary inserted apparatus and essentially reconstructed my ankle etc. Something that ought to have been done at the outset. My foot is already feeling so much better!!!! Amen, and my sincere gratitude to those that most recently tended to me. Back to the "Butcher" - spent $3,000 on procedure, he wanted more second time around. I refused. Months off work. Ongoing unnecessary pain and aggravation. His previous receptionist - met her at home depot once, eventually said she recognized me but wasn't sure if she should speak with me; that other clients have slam blasted her for the work done in butcher's office. I implore upon people to seek the advise and suggestions of actual orthopedic surgeon, please for your sake. I would have not put this time and energy into this rating if not necessary. I personally became to know two other individuals who suffered similarly to me. If we were in the United States, lawsuit would already been filed. Come to think of it, I think should!!!!!

flag | Submitted September 29, 2015

Great experience. Staff are excellent too! Will recommend.

flag | Submitted May 21, 2015

Great new front office staff...efficient & friendly! Dr. Green was friendly, knowledgable and explained all my treatment options thoroughly. Would highly recommend him for any foot problems!

flag | Submitted November 20, 2014

Dr Green seem's to know his stuff but he in a constant hurry to get you out. I would NOT recommend him.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2014