Ratings for Dr. Douglas D. Altchek

I have known this man all of my life and I will give him an unbiased rating. He is truly the best at what he does and I would not see any other dermatologist in New York.

flag | Submitted May 26, 2008

I have been seeing doctor Altchek for the past 5 years. I think he is a great doctor and his staff is very friendly. I like his professional mannerism and if I am not sure about something or seem somewhat confused, I ask a question to clarify my concern. I would reccommend him to all my friends and close contacts. Dr. Altchek is competent and concerned about the welfare of his patients. When I am in his office, I want to get in and out quickly so that I can get back to work. He is the best Dermatologist on the uppereast side.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2008

I have been a patient of Dr. Altchek for 40 years. Coming from family of 10 physicians, Dr. Altchek is not only knowledgeable in dermatology, his field of expertise, but in many other disciplines as well. This is critical in his specialty because many skin conditions arise from underlying pathology in other areas. I would recommend Dr. Altchek to anyone who needs a caring and competent physician.

flag | Submitted January 23, 2008

What a relief to see someone who knows what he's doing and addresses your problem quickly and efficiently. He is a terrific dermatologist and I didn't miss the small talk. I would recommend him 100%.

flag | Submitted December 7, 2007

Dr. Altchek is excellent. He is super efficient and precise. I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted August 14, 2007

I have been going to Dr. Altcheck for several years. I have read the earlier posts, and agree that his visits tend to be quick- but that's only because he is very knowledgable and decisive. I would recommend Dr. Altcheck to anyone who wants a knowledgable, decisive dermatologist- if you want to talk to a doctor about your relationship with your mother, boyfriend, etc.- you should see a psychiatrist, not a dermatologist.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2007

Worst dermatologist I ever saw. Was so busy being famous had little or no time to actually SEE patient. A lot of emphasis on products. People swear by him. He has a nice manner. But I felt like I was in a dermatology factory. If you're looking for personal care, this is not the place.

flag | Submitted March 27, 2007

the first two times I went to him, he was great. The third time, he rushed through and I left very confused and unsure of what to do next.

flag | Submitted January 1, 2007

I had worked for Dr. Altchek in the 90's when he started to work with Dr. Penner, another excelent Dr. When I had a bad skin problem I went to my past employer. Not only because I'd I witnessed how well he took care of his patients, but due to his gentle manner he deals with them when their scared, worried, or unable to afford care with out insurance coverage. I had refered over 10 patients to Dr. Altchek after working for him, then I refered at least 10 or more after being his patient. I can think of any other Dr. I'd refer someone to. In fact I'm taking a friend there next week due to her having a skin problem.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2006

Dr. Douglas Altchek is a rare find, a compassionate physician who swiftly and accurately diagnosed my persistent skin problem. I had been to several dematologists who were unable to identify my condition. If only my other doctors were as caring, I would be a very happy person. The staff was exceedingly courteous and helpful. His cheerful offices offer state of the art equipment in a glamorous but welcoming art deco setting. I have never been treated better by any physician. His warmth and caring nature are unsurpassed and on every level he rates an A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ and more.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2006

Dr. Douglas D. Altchek's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Altchek’s office is dedicated to the complete care of the skin, the early detection and cure of skin cancer, the care of aging skin, and the relief of suffering from skin disease. Dr. Altchek is a renown dermatologic surgeon with expertise in skin resurfacing, laser, microdermabrasion, fillers and wrinkle treatments. He is also an expert in difficult to diagnose and treat dermatologic conditions and tropical diseases of the skin. Dr. Altchek believes “the skin is the mirror of life” in that it reflects all of health. The philosophy of the office is to help all in need of skin care, and in doing so, promote better health. Dr. Altchek attended Quaker schools, Friends Seminary, Friends Academy, and the University of Pennsylvania, where he majored in English literature further diversified his education by studying medicine at the at the Complutense University of Madrid. He then trained in surgery and dermatology at Mount Sinai. He is currently Clinical Professor of Dermatology and the archivist of the Department of Dermatology at Mount Sinai. Dr. Altchek has taught dermatologic surgery at Mount Sinai for over 30 years. He practices out of the oldest, continuous dermatology office in Manhattan (in operation since 1929) and is a member of the United Nations Medical Corps. He is frequently consulted in tropical dermatology. At one time, he had the largest Hansen’s disease practice in the city. Fluent in Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian, and Catalan, Dr. Altchek also reads Hebrew and Old English. He has published a variety of papers and book chapters dealing with hair transplantation, skin tumors, eczema, and the history of dermatology. Several of his publications were in Spanish and Portuguese and have appeared in international publications and texts. He has lectured both in this country and abroad on subjects ranging from forensic dermatology to tropical dermatology.

• Spanish
  • French
  • English

• Univ Complutense De Madrid, Fac De Med, Madrid, Spain (Grad. 1975)

• BCBS Massachusetts