Ratings for Dr. Douglas D. Altchek

Dr Altchek is knowledgeable,professional,kind and I would not trust any other doctor. Holly D

flag | Submitted March 27, 2016

This dermatologist is a gem and the last of a breed. He is one of the country's brightest dermatologists. He is not only keen at diagnosis but is an accomplished skin surgeon. He treats many of his indigent patients for no fee whatsoever! Thank God for Dr. Altchek

flag | Submitted March 11, 2011

I am reporting this physician to Medicare for fraud. He charged them $651.31 and billed it thru a hospital .For this princely sum he saw me for less than 15 minutes & misdiagnosed my rash,

flag | Submitted September 19, 2009

I strongly recommend against this doctor, for several reasons: 1) He rushed through my visits in 3-4 minutes, and seemed eager to leave me. He kept looking and moving toward the door, and I struggled to ask questions about my condition and medication. 2) He gave no consideration, and allowed for no discussion of treatment options, some of which resulted in *very serious pain and a worsening of the condition.* 3) His staff obfuscated treatment descriptions on invoices, complicating insurance transactions, and was rude and accusatory when asked for clarification.

flag | Submitted August 31, 2009

If you are on this site to find the best dermatologist, I would like to tell you that Dr. Altchek is the doctor for you!I'm a pharmaceutical rep who works only with dermatologists and I know almost all of them in the city. I know their strengths, their weaknesses and most importantly I can see all of them in action while they are working and then determine which doc is after $ and which one cares for the patient and results.I chose Dr. Altchek as my dermatologist and recommend him to all my friends and family.He knows what he is doing and does it very well.He is very personable, never rushes, answers all your questions no matter how long it takes and you will never have to wait too long in the waiting room to be called in. Also, he is the best because he is equally good with cosmetic stuff (all types of fillers)and medical dermatology (acne, eczema). It’s your skin and it’s a first thing that everybody notices so make the right choice when choosing the doctor to take care of your skin!

flag | Submitted March 23, 2009

I agree with the comment from the acne patient below. It took the Dr. 3 secs to identify my eczema and prescribe me a $100 tube of cream that really helped but when I asked him about blackheads & other face problems he quickly said he'd have something for me at the checkout desk; it was a $20 scrub that doesn't do a thing. I said I wanted to learn about chemical peels & he quickly replied "insurance doesn't cover it and it's $200." I was asking about the procedure because I didn't know anything about it and he shed no light at all. I'm having facial problems again but am really hesitant to go back; will he just prescribe me the same overpriced scrub again?

flag | Submitted December 16, 2008

This doctor is a true find and clearly a notch above all others in his field. He is extremely efficient and perceptive and not only cured by long-standing skin problem, but resolved another medical ailment which for years had eluded many other physicians. I cannot praise him enough.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2008

I am still not sure what to think about dr. altchek. Sure he rushes you and the appointment rarely lasts more than 5 minutes. I think he might be a good dr. for people that have skin cancers or skin's serious condition, but for people with acne - like me - and begnine skin problems he is not good. I had to go back to the office 6 times, he prescribed useless medication one after the other and today I still have my skin in absolute terrible condition and I have to change dr fast before I have my 30th appointment with Altchek telling me "we're going to get that under control" when nothing changes appt after appt. I am very disappointed

flag | Submitted December 8, 2008

I think Dr. Altchek is great! He reminds me of an English physician. He is very precise and thorough.

flag | Submitted August 1, 2008

After seeing Dr. Altchek I couldn't stop raving about him to all my friends. He was not only courteous, professional, and knowledgeable, but also had excellent bed-side manner - very engaging and made me feel great. He totally made my day. It was a quick visit, but I didn't feel rushed at all. The diagnosis was spot-on, and my condition was resolved in three days. I would recommend him to anyone who wants a friendly, kind, and efficient doctor.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2008

Dr. Douglas D. Altchek's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Altchek’s office is dedicated to the complete care of the skin, the early detection and cure of skin cancer, the care of aging skin, and the relief of suffering from skin disease. Dr. Altchek is a renown dermatologic surgeon with expertise in skin resurfacing, laser, microdermabrasion, fillers and wrinkle treatments. He is also an expert in difficult to diagnose and treat dermatologic conditions and tropical diseases of the skin. Dr. Altchek believes “the skin is the mirror of life” in that it reflects all of health. The philosophy of the office is to help all in need of skin care, and in doing so, promote better health. Dr. Altchek attended Quaker schools, Friends Seminary, Friends Academy, and the University of Pennsylvania, where he majored in English literature further diversified his education by studying medicine at the at the Complutense University of Madrid. He then trained in surgery and dermatology at Mount Sinai. He is currently Clinical Professor of Dermatology and the archivist of the Department of Dermatology at Mount Sinai. Dr. Altchek has taught dermatologic surgery at Mount Sinai for over 30 years. He practices out of the oldest, continuous dermatology office in Manhattan (in operation since 1929) and is a member of the United Nations Medical Corps. He is frequently consulted in tropical dermatology. At one time, he had the largest Hansen’s disease practice in the city. Fluent in Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian, and Catalan, Dr. Altchek also reads Hebrew and Old English. He has published a variety of papers and book chapters dealing with hair transplantation, skin tumors, eczema, and the history of dermatology. Several of his publications were in Spanish and Portuguese and have appeared in international publications and texts. He has lectured both in this country and abroad on subjects ranging from forensic dermatology to tropical dermatology.

• Spanish
  • French
  • English

• Univ Complutense De Madrid, Fac De Med, Madrid, Spain (Grad. 1975)

AARP