Ratings for Dr. Peter Thurston

Dr. Thurston performed surgery on both my Achilles and partial knee replacement over the years. Great bedside manner and first rate surgeon. Kudos and respect for him. He was right on when he said it would take a year to recover from replacement.

flag | Submitted February 28, 2014

I had two total hip-joint replacements during 2012. One leg still seems longer than the other, but Dr.Thurston showed me the xrays and did measurements to assure me this was not the case. The problem is that I had such bad joints and walking so poorly for a long time, that my pelvis became tilted over time. It took ages for this to happen, and so it is only practical that it will take time to align itself again. It has improved in the past year and I expect more improvement over time. Dr. Thurston and his office staff and medical partners helped me and I am very grateful for all the care I was given.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2014

Dr. Thurston operated on my knee three years ago. He explained everything thoroughly, scheduled the operation to take place very quickly and performed a successful operation (my knee hasn't felt this good in years!).

flag | Submitted August 27, 2013

I saw Dr. Thurston about six weeks before surgery on my hip. He was thorough in his explanation of what was to be expected, particularly things that could go wrong. I did not see him again until four weeks AFTER my surgery. I did not see him before the operation outside the operating room, inside the operating room, after the operation, or during rounds (although I saw him go by once in the hallway, he did not stop in to ask how I was doing). He did not call my family to report how the surgery went, despite hospital assurances that he would. While I do not need a touchy-feely doctor, I would like a doctor who regarded me as something more than "hip replacement number 2,543." I have no reason to believe he was in any way incompetent but I think respect and even compassion should be part of the doctor-patient relationship. I will go elsewhere in future.

flag | Submitted June 23, 2013

I was operated in late November Hip replacement my leg is almost one inch to long now have difficulty balancing some back problems and need elevated shoes .He kept telling me this would all correct itself of course it never happened i am not happy at all with this operation or the Dr. I could not recommend him whatsoever I'm sorry I've ever met this Dr.

flag | Submitted June 17, 2013

Had a hip replacement with excellent results! Before the surgery, I was in constant excruciating pain, could not sleep at night, could hardly walk, and even had to give up driving and working. Even with high levels of painkillers, woke up constantly at night from the pain. Couldn't even hold my baby grandchild in my arms because standing was so painful. Dr. Thurston explained the risks and benefits of surgery clearly ahead of time. Had very manageable post op pain, and an excellent recovery, look forward to driving, going back to work and chasing after my grandchild! Back to participating fully in life. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Dr. Thurston.

flag | Submitted January 11, 2013

In 1991 I was a victim of a violent crime, in which I needed shoulder surgery, Dr Thurston did that surgery, he was amazing, very attentive and kind, he explained in detail what he was going to do and had a wonderful bedside manner . his follow up was good and I was and am very grateful for him as my doctor. I would recommend him to anyone , he is simply a great doctor.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2012

Dr. Peter Thurston did a hip replacement on my 80 year old Mother. He is a matter of fact type of guy, spends the time needed to talk things out. did a very good job on the hip replacemnet.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2012

When you see him, Dr. Peter Thurston spins a good tale. Patient reality is much different. In the pre-op interview for my knee hemi-arthroplasty he extolled epidural anaesthetic – faster recovery, less pain, fewer complications – over general anaesthetic. Post-op I vomited in Recovery and in my room. Because an epidural also blocks bladder function, I had a catheter rammed in for two days. These are common epidural side effects as are violent headache and back pain. NONE of these possible negative side effects were ever mentioned by Thurston. Next, inadequate pain management. Generic acetaminophen and 2mg hydromorphone do NOT reduce bone pain. This was the weekend with minimal staff and only a resident available. NEVER have surgery on a Friday. When a physiotherapist walked me for exercise, blood ran down my leg and into my slipper. I bled thru a third bandage. A nurse finally put steri-strips across the bottom of my stapled incision to hold it together. Am I angry? Damn right!

flag | Submitted March 31, 2011

This guy knows his knees - and mine! I'm home after a partial knee replacement. Only two days in hospital and on third am able to do light housework with no walker or cane. Very little discomfort. Excellent work by any standards!

flag | Submitted December 20, 2010