Ratings for Dr. Victoria Bernstein

My symptoms involved having extremely high blood pressure, a rapid heart rate when standing or walking, and general weakness to the point that I could only walk roughly 10 feet before needing to sit. This came on quickly and I had previously been a rather healthy person in their 20's. At my initial appointment I gave Dr. Bernstein a copy of my family history including that I have a cousin with Addison's disease (which turned out to be the cause of my symptoms too). At that point I had no complaints and found her to be to the point and had faith in her assertion that we would get to the bottom of what was causing my issue. Additionally, she regularly would call me back when I would have issues with my dosage of prescribed medications. Unfortunately though, Dr. Bernstein missed that I had Addison's from my family history (somewhat fair since it is so uncommon) but then missed it again when my CT results came back showing that I have no adrenal glands. The whole situation resulted in me spending a week in hospital barely able to even walk to the washroom, unable to keep any food down, and not knowing my own name for periods of time during an Addisonian crisis. Though she was not the only doctor who missed a diagnosis of Addison's, she was the only once who ordered the CT that showed my lack of adrenal glands. Once out of hospital, I get home to a phone message from Dr. Bernstein's assistant saying that Dr. Bernstein had asked her to call me and basically say that she couldn't figure out what was wrong with me and that she had exhausted her ideas for further testing and wished me "good luck".

flag | Submitted November 9, 2016

I had an appointment with Dr. Bernstein earlier this year. The first thing she said to me when I entered her office was to comment on how huge I was. I knew that I had gained a lot of weight, but I was there to see her about my heart. It was one of the most depressing doctor appointments I have ever experience. I don't ever want to experience that kind of treatment again. Maybe, she just does not like heavy people!!!

flag | Submitted July 2, 2016

Excellent cardiologist. Been consulting her since 2009. Explains lucidly, and listens to health complaints, related or unrelated and advises accordingly. Very professional, meticulous and very pleasant. Her office assistant Cathy is beyond kind and helpful, always making it a point to get back to you be it via phone or email. Look forward to seeing her once a year for follow up checks. :-) Love the way she holds my hand and walks me out of her office to the main corridor. Thank you Dr Bernstein and thank you Cathy.

flag | Submitted June 17, 2016

dr. bernstein is a great cariolisist i have been going to here for 14 years and cathy her receptionist is so helpful and is a great person ernie

flag | Submitted April 7, 2016

Dr Vicki Bernstein and her receptionist Cathy, are beyond kind and helpful. Dr Bernstein is gentle spirited, knowledgable, clear, and brings peace to every situation or medical emergency. She fights hard for her patients, and is always! Available to get a hold of. And if she's not. She or Cathy will call back in a timely respectful fashion. I would highly recommend Dr. Vicki Bernstein to anyone. She is wonderful, kind, intelligent and so professional. She has amazing character. I'm beyond blessed to be under her care. Kyla O'Donovan

flag | Submitted December 16, 2015

Dr Vicki Bernstein and her receptionist Cathy, are beyond kind and helpful. Dr Bernstein is gentle spirited, knowledgable, clear, and brings peace to every situation or medical emergency. She fights hard for her patients, and is always! Available to get a hold of. And if she's not. She or Cathy will call back in a timely respectful fashion. I would highly recommend Dr Vicki Bernstein to anyone. She is wonderful, and intelligent and so professional. Kyla O'Donovan

flag | Submitted December 15, 2015

My experience with Dr Vicki Bernstein goes back to the 80's. I was hospital staff. There is no question of her skill. Has always been one of the best in Canada, even back then. Something has always made her better. I was placed in the awkward position of having to awake attendings in the wee hours of the morning for questions and concerns. Believe me, I braved many different responses. She was always consistent. Gracious and caring of her patient. Not something you can fake at 4 in the morning. Without question, if in need, she is my #1 choice. The comment about the click, click of the heels...so true, always has been there. Very classy lady. With her, that's a sound you run to, not from. Not sure about you, but I'd like to be with a Doctor that would drop everything to take care of me!!

flag | Submitted August 1, 2015

My name is Gordon Remenda and I live in Kelowna. Dr. Bernstein looked after me after my quadruple bypass at VGH. She once drained the sack around one of my lungs (I believe it is called the plural), without me even knowing that the procedure was in progress. She is such a great human being, there is not enough room on the web to praise her. I used to get excited when I heard her walking down the hall with her hard heeled shoes, just hoping that she was coming to see me. I have to say that this ladies lady is beyond reproach with regard to her professionalism, sophistication, bed side manner, knowledge etc,etc,etc,etc. Her status in the medical profession should be rated within the ranks of Dr. Christiaan Barnard. She is a sweetheart. I told her once that (If I live through this I will take you to Casablanca), it's 5 years and I still haven't heard from her, maybe she has been there before, LOL. Vicki, thank you so much for all that you have done for all those who have been fortunate enough to have you, touch their lives. DR. Victoria Bernstein, your the best!!!! Gordon.

flag | Submitted June 17, 2015

In September 2012 I underwent heart surgery for the second time and Dr.Bernstein was my cardiologist on the ward at VGH for the second time round (my first heart surgery repaired an aortic valve in Mar.1997, my second repaired an aneurysm). Both times I found Dr.Bernstein to be an excellent physician;she is an incredibly knowledgeable and professional cardiologist. I found her to be very kind and caring and efficient. I would highly recommend her to anyone-she was extremely interested in my well-being considering me as a "whole" person, not just my cardiac issue.I believe she provided the very best care possible for me and I would definitely entrust my life to her again should the need ever arise. Dr.Bernstein is, in my opinion, one of the best cardiologist I have ever met and I have met many as I was born with a congenital heart condition. She expects the best from her staff, and wants the best for her patients, and that is what I want in a cardiologist.I highly recommend her!

flag | Submitted April 4, 2013

I was hospitalized on February 21st for a mitral valve repair. I received the best of care from the minute I entered VGH. Dr. Bernstein was very attentive and took the time to explain things to be. She even took time out of her busy schedule to sit down with my husband to answer his questions and concerns. She, and her staff were truly amazing! You are in good hands if she is your doctor.

flag | Submitted March 15, 2013