Ratings for Dr. Stanley Eng

I have very high praise for Dr Eng and his staff. In the aftermath of operations for glaucoma and cataracts, I needed a new eyeglass prescription. I called several local optometrists, and was most impressed with the caring and informed response I received from his office staff, so I chose to go to him. Dr Eng took the time to do a very thorough exam, discussed my visual problems with me, and inquired what my main visual activities were (reading, sewing, computer work), then prescribed accordingly. I was very happy with the eyeglasses I received as they definitely improved my visual acuity and sharpness. His staff was infinitely patient and helpful, and guided me towards the best choice in eyewear. It took a week for my new lenses to be prepared, but it was worth the wait--I could suddenly see so much better. Beyond my expectations. When I fell and ruined one lens a week later, Dr Eng arranged for a replacement without cost. I very highly recommend Dr Eng and his staff. His office is in downtown Nanaimo, so no need to go to a shopping mall out the highway. He has a good selection of frames, including a big section priced at $80. Dr Eng and his support staff are exceptional! Very warm, caring, and professional.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2017

My family had an absolutely horrible experience going here. He was super rude to my husband. He treated him like a 4 year old child and belittled him. He also refused to give him his contacts back, my husband had to wait in the waiting room for an hour before he got his contacts back because the staff refused to give them back as well. My husbands blind without anything, it was ridiculous he expected my husband to leave without anything. Then he seen my 5 year old son because he got referred to see an optometrist from school. Well Dr.Eng said his eyes were fine so we left not thinking anything was wrong. A year later we decided to take my son to an optometrist in Nanaimo and the Dr there told us my son is just about blind in his left eye and didn't believe me that he seen an eye doctor a year before who failed to catch it. I've Googled my son's condition and it says if it's left untreated he could go legally blind in that eye. I will never go back here and would never recommend this place. I'm telling as many people as I can because a professional and his staff have no right treating their patients this way and he doesn't know what's he's doing.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2017

Dr. Eng helped my one year old son whom has a astigmatism. Really great with babies!

flag | Submitted February 28, 2017

I have been seeing Dr Eng for 20 years and have always been very pleased with his overall service and staff. I am a dentist by profession and very demanding on my vision. Dr. Eng has always been very patient with all my questions and he aims for patient satisfaction. I know I am probably one of his more difficult patients to please at times and I find he will remain on track to solve issues in a friendly and professional way. I am happy to remain a patient of his and would refer my friends and family.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2015

I have worn glasses since I was a young child. As an adult I switched to contact lenses and then had Lasik surgery in 2000 to correct my extreme nearsightedness and astigmatism. In 2010 I had some concerns with my eye health and went to see Dr. Eng for the first time. He examined my eyes thoroughly and reassured me the changes in my vision were not due to anything serious. He did recommend reading glasses which surprised me as I was coping just fine with close up and I opted for progressive lenses as I wanted clearer distance vision as I was straining a bit when driving. When my glasses arrived I told the receptionist that these couldn't be my glasses, I couldn't see with them! She reassured me that I just needed to try them for a bit. Four days later I was back in the office. The staff made sure my glasses were adjusted properly, remeasured my pupillary distance, and assured me the glasses were the correct prescription. I few weeks later I went back to the office when Dr. Eng was present and asked him to recheck my eyes as I felt the prescription was wrong. He refused and said I just needed to take the time to adjust to the glasses. When I questioned this as I was familiar with getting used to a new pair of glasses he dismissed and belittled me in front of his staff. But I couldn't see properly, I saw better without the glasses! After two months I asked that my progressives be changed to a pair of reading glasses and a pair of distance glasses. This cost me extra. I found the reading glasses to be ok but got headaches when trying to drive with the distance glasses so I stopped wearing them. I was so disheartened and upset by my experience with Dr. Eng I waited four years to see another optometrist. I took my old pair of glasses with me when I saw her. Though very diplomatic and outwardly not critical of Dr. Eng she told me the correction for astigmatism was incorrect in my glasses and that because my eyes were quite complicated I would not be happy with progressive lenses unless I paid a lot of money for very high quality lenses and that she didn't recommend them for me at this time because I was coping well with near and middle vision! The glasses she prescribed for me are perfect! I will never see Dr. Eng again would not recommend anyone to him. I see come people have been very happy with him in the past and those who have done well with him are the only people who should see him. Don't take the chance if you are a new patient, it's worth it to drive down island. Trust me, I learned the hard way.

flag | Submitted November 6, 2014

Dr Eng sells low grade lenses for high prices. He has a bad reputation in Port Hardy. I will never go to him again.

flag | Submitted September 27, 2014

My Husband went to Dr eng for an eye exam after failing his eye test in 2013 for class 1 license. He is 67 years old and never wore glasses. Dr eng told him he needs glasses and sold him bifocals which he never got used to. He complained but staff always told him to be patient. He went in this year to do the exam again for the class 1 and failed the test with the glasses on. When he took the glasses off he passed the test. He went to another Optomotrist who told him he doesn't even need bifocals, just reading glasses. Dr Eng is only in business for the money. I would not recommend him to anyone. I have heard alot of people say this.

flag | Submitted June 27, 2014

I had a bad experience with Dr. Eng and his staff. They pressured me into getting bi-focals which cost of 400 dollars. But I almost fell down stairs and sidewalks because my eye glasses could not focus as fast as maybe another person. I asked to have normal lenses put into my existing frames which cost 200 dollars and with the extra 200 dollars I wanted to get just an extra pair of reading glasses..........well to make a long story short. They said they would replace my bi focals with reading only glasses but would not refund any money nor will he let me get another pair of glasses and frames for the 200 dollars owed to me. bad business. I will keep the bifocals cause what good would it do me other than be out 200 dollars. I will ask for my prescription and go elsewhere and with that I will take all my family and friends with me. I think they are only in it for the money. They don't care that I almost fell and had I fallen there would have been a lawsuit against him;BAD BUSINESS

flag | Submitted April 16, 2014

Dr. Eng is a long time Eye Doctor on Vancouver Island. He has a practise in Nanaimo, Port Hardy and he used to go to Port Alberni but the last location I am not sure of. He is very thorough and never misses a thing.

flag | Submitted May 29, 2013

I went ti Dr Eng for the first time a couple of weeks ago and was not impressed. Like one of the other entries I found got irritated when I was unsure of the different lens differences, I was not given a prescription for new lenses when I left and when I asked the staff member looked at me like I was crazy. I have not worn glasses before so was trying on frames in the office where I was completed ignored while they fawned over a younger more hipper customer. Doubt whether I will go back

flag | Submitted July 5, 2012