Ratings for Dr. Richard W. Cohen

BEWARE: this man is a total nut job and a complete scam artist. It's genuinely concerning that he's licensed to practice psychiatry. What kind of doctor calls a patient at 10PM on a work night to schedule an appt for 10:45PM on a Saturday? It gets weirder. The moment I met him he instructed me to lay on an (uncovered) examination table behind his messy desk. I expressed that this made me feel uncomfortable, but he insisted it was in order for him to "fully tap into my subconscious." B.S. Despite having supplied a full psych evaluation from a board-certified psychologist, he was dismissive and unprofessional. I was only referred to him because after graduation I was no longer eligible to see the University psychiatrist and he was in-network. He refused to listen to me and instead argued that the psychiatrist I had been seeing for 4 years had misdiagnosed me and was inappropriately treating me. This was all after talking to me for 5 minutes- and by talking I mean he asked me generic questions in rapid fire without giving me the chance to elaborate. As a pre-med student, I found this to be incredibly belittling and frustrating. Everyone knows that psychiatry is not a field of yes-or-no's. Discouraged and defeated, I sat up and asked to end the session as I had no intentions of coming back. He did not take well to this and instead made me sit there while he stumbled to repeated the minimal information I was able to supply into his dictaphone. Even after repeatedly asking to end the consultation early, he refused to give me back the $110 check I had to write in his name. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY as his license should be revoked!

flag | Submitted January 19, 2017

He has me on a drug that doesn't even match the diagnosis he gave me. I have been much worse since being on this medication. I am suffering and have asked him about ways to come off of the drug he has me on and he puts me off every time I ask. I am suffering from symptoms that are affecting my entire life, both personal and work relationships are suffering due to it. I've read about other people suffering from the same symptoms as me from the same drug. I am scared at the same time to remove the drug because the withdrawal can be dangerous too. He did not take the time to get to know me or my issues before or after putting me on this drug. I wish I had went somewhere else. I'm just another number walking into his office at 10 pm.

flag | Submitted June 2, 2016

I've been a patient for over 8 years. Most likely we only take time to rate someone when there is a problem. I am please with Dr. Cohen's thoroughness. . Dr. Cohen is very supportive of my experiences, trauma, relationship problems and always follows up at each session. After about a year, the meds become ineffective...so most importantly, it is critical to continue with therapy. I currently am on a combination of mes that keep me focused an prevent me from getting anxiety and becoming depressed. I've been to many therapists and psychiatrists since 1996, when I graduated college. I am very happy with his genuine concern. Just remember, most of us don't take the time to rate the good experiences.

flag | Submitted October 3, 2015

Not much to say about Dr. Cohen.Just gives you pills.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2014

Don't waste your time or your money. I went to him for over a year for depression. Not only did he prescribe a medication that did not help because of anoyher medical condition he was aware I had but after complaining several times that I felt no better he had the nerve to tell me to my face that he was only treating as a favor to my mom (my mom worked for him at the time).I didn't feel any better until I finally stopped treatment and flushed all his meds on the advice of a good friend and found another doctor. His license really should be pulled. BEWARE!

flag | Submitted May 22, 2014

flag | Submitted March 13, 2014

flag | Submitted March 26, 2013

OH LA VACHE.I have been seeing a psycologist whom I like very much for a few months for severe depression, however I still find myself in a place where I am bearly functional at times. My psycologist kept suggesting that I see a psychiatrist to have a psychoanalysis and to see if they think that I would benefit from meds. I finally got an appointment with one, Dr.Cohen, he took my insuance and was easy to get to via septa. My appointment was at 10:30pm (yes, PM) on a Sunday. As has been mentioned, he records everything and makes you lay down to "get into you subconcious". I'm college student, I smoke weed and I drink alcohol, with friends, on weekends, I told him this and he called me a "drug abuser" and told me to come back when I have compleately stoppped all use of weed and alcohol. Also spend very little time with me, maybe 25 minutes.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2013

flag | Submitted September 13, 2012

Wow. Someone needs to make a documentary about this guy and his snapshot-of-the-1970s office. Fabulously wacko. I continue to go to him because I know what relatively non-serious prescription I need and I just say what it is and he hands over the scrip - no "entering into my subconscious" required after I refused the first few times. But if you're actually looking for help and competence, spend your money elsewhere.

flag | Submitted September 9, 2011

Dr. Richard W. Cohen's Credentials

• Temple Univ Sch Of Med, Philadelphia Pa 19140 (Grad. 1977)