Ratings for Dr. Angela Guarda

no program more professional , caring, and warm. They know how to fight the ED

flag | Submitted March 16, 2018

I'll make this quick. I have deep respect for Dr. Guarda and her attentiveness and compassion even when I was out of the program have been amazing. She does tend to catastrophize things and makes you think you are at death's door and only JHH can save you. Obviously focused on filling beds unfortunately. The inpatient program is cold, laboratory like, food is awful and days are long and boring with few groups and most just community finger pointing. The attendings turnover each month which destroys the continuity of care so if you are there for extended periods of time which I have been several times you end up spending a week or so adjusting and often arguing about what was previously promised/advised. Plus if you don't click with the new team it can ruin any progress. The meal plan is unrealistic and packs in 3500+ calories (on weight gain) after 10 days all in 3 meals which requires trayfuls of greasy sugary food. The menu never rotates from week to week though I did hear there might be changes but I've heard that for years. I would go back if desperate and the medical care is stellar. My current concern is that I developed GI issues and am not sure I can handle the nutritional protocol let alone the stress and anxiety of the program in general. I could say so much more but I'm way over my limit at least emotionally!

flag | Submitted May 10, 2017

She is the head of the Eating Disorder Program (inpatient & outpatient) at John's Hopkins. The program, under her direction, is one of the best in the country. Although it may takes months to get an appointment with her, it is well worth the wait! I went through the program with ARFID (avoidance restrictive food intake disorder) after years of chronic GI malfunction. It is a rigorous program, but rehabilitated my body and my GI system.

flag | Submitted March 30, 2016

I think Dr. Guarda genuinely cares and though tough is kind but her inpatient eating disorders program is awful. The environment is toxic and not supportive. There is no individual therapy, family therapy and I never met with a nutritionist. The food is genuinely awful and the amount required on weight gain is unrealistic. The communication is horrific among staff and they will always back each other up regardless of your needs or what was previously discussed. ED patients are on the same floor with affective disorder patients who have the run of the place and get treated humanely. Meanwhile, ED patients sit for 14 hours in one room and every move is monitored and often results in punitive actions with no explanation.

flag | Submitted May 1, 2015

Dr. Guarda is the most genuinely dedicated and caring doctor I have ever known. She saved my life. I suffered from anorexia for the past 25 years. I had no hope for recovery. Last May I had 5 seizures all ending up in the ER. I knew death was imminent. My brother, a Harvard MD, PhD, always told me to go to Hopkins. Dr. Guarda is the Director of the Johns Hopkins Eating Disorders Program. US News and World Report ranks Hopkins as the #1 hospital in the country for psychiatry. Dr. Guarda’s program saved my life. Her staff, the other doctors, the nurses, the social workers, the occupational therapists, the dietician, the techs, comprehensively treat both the psychiatric as well as physical needs of the patient. They are the most genuinely caring and compassionate professionals I have ever known. They restored me back to sanity. If you suffer from an eating disorder, no matter how long or acute your afflictions are, you absolutely must see Dr. Guarda. She will change your life.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2012

I could not disagree more with the reviewer below. Yes, the Johns Hopkins Eating Disorders Unit is far from pleasant ... but really, it's a hospital. And through all of it, all the toughness, it is possible to get well. I've been in recovery for 7.5 years and owe Dr. Guarda and Johns Hopkins my life. Dr. Guarda is certainly firm but EXTREMELY invested in the well being of her patients. Her devotion to the field of eating disorders research is incredible (just look at her publications). All these years later, I remain in touch with Dr. Guarda and she is genuinely so proud of how far I have come. Above all else, she instilled in me a sense of responsibility when it came to my recovery. Getting an eating disorder was not my fault but getting well was MY choice. It's a very powerful message. I would recommend Dr. Guarda to anyone struggling with an eating disorder with the firm belief that she is among the most qualified in the country to get that person well.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2012

My interactions with Dr. Guarda have been very positive and have helped me a lot towards recovery from my eating disorder. I would highly recommend her.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2011

Dr. Guarda is a total failure at identifying eating disorders and differentiating them from true medical illnesses. I was under her care at Johns Hopkins Meyer 4 Floor Eating Disorder Clinic & watched her draft drug addicts & the mentally ill from other floors to help 'make numbers' needed for patients at JH's ED Clinic. Guarda overlooked GI disease in me and two other patients, overlooked salivary gland & proper jaw/mouth formation in a pre-teen girl that was unable to chew & digest food properly. She treats patients that comply with every command like criminals complete with locks/keys/tiny solitary punishment rooms. AFTER Guarda's hell it was found I have Krohn's Disease causing GI complications & weight loss; yet despite her promises to provide medical assistance at Hopkins, NO medical care was offered despite requests. BEWARE of Guarda and please find another doctor or therapist if you're truly ED; you'll receive no positive results through her, JH or her staff.

flag | Submitted May 10, 2011

Dr. Angela Guarda's Credentials

• University Of Maryland School Of Medicine (Grad. 1991)