Ratings for Dr. Gail L. Bongiovanni

I had a colonoscopy and she accused me of not drinking the prep. Sent me home for another night of not eating and drinking more prep. Switched doctors after this horrible and insulting experience. As it turns out my crohns has fistualized severely and no amount of prep would have cleaned me out! Switched doctors had a CT scan which detailed my problems and ended up in surgery at the Cleveland Clinic with Dr Ian Lavery. He changed my life. Go to him. This lady is belittling condescending and horrible.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2018

She's done several colonoscopies on me in the past 25 years. She was fine for those, but summer of 2017 I saw her for chronic intestinal pain that had been growing in frequency and degree over past year or more. Brought journal I kept over 6 months and asked for her input on autoimmune diet that had been recommended to me. She blew off the diet recommendation as "nonsense." "I'm sure you can eat anything you want; just take fiber everyday." On subsequent appointment, when seeking some satisfactory explanation about my condition in light of family history (grandfather, father, brother: 2 had diverticulitis w surgery; 2 had colon cancer.) Having some well-founded concern about this history, I was incensed about the brief appointment and her brusque as she departed the room: "Get busy and do something; stop thinking about yourself so much." As a VERY busy and involved 70 yr. old, I let her know in no uncertain terms how insulting that answer was. She apologized and sat down to talk saying she didn't mean it that way. To me, it exposed her underlying attitude. Bottom line: I totally agree with one other patient on this page that said Dr. B isn't good at active listening. She didn't take the time to really hear me and did little to allay my fears about my condition - why it had changed so much in the past year, and what I could expect from it in the long run and do about it in the present . I won't be returning. I hope I can find a GI who respects and addresses a patient's informational needs.

flag | Submitted January 9, 2018

Dr. B is very smart, professional and attentive. She even complimented me on having a colonoscopy! I have no complaints and hope she is still practicing 9 years from now.

flag | Submitted November 15, 2017

She literally screamed at me forever really mean for not going to the other one she was in with at time but I prefer female Drs but her EGD an Dx Coloscopy was thorough but 3 months later I get suddenly really sick and nauseas and staff took seriously but again yelled at me for calling about it no help.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2017

The best does not give up until she discovers what you're problem is.

flag | Submitted May 17, 2015

Be prepared. If you question her, she will either respond in a cold and distant, short response with now answer, or she will dismiss you altogether as she did us. She had no understanding of what active listening is and it left us perplexed as to how Christ Hospital still has her in their employ. Two months later, after much pain and a plastic diagnosis of irritable bowel, it was found to have an intestinal bacterial infection. It took me approximately a year to heal. RUN from this Dr.... YOU are the only one in charge of YOU! Find a good Dr. who CARES because your health is the most precious thing you can own outright.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2015

She is supposed to be the best in the city. I was sent to her for chronic stomach issues. I found her to be rather abrupt, rude, and did not have a very good bed side manner, which I was willing to overlook for good care. She told me I had irritable bowel that was stress related and that there was nothing to be done. She also said I had pelvic floor disorder and sent me to a physical therapist. I did about six sessions with the therapist it did not help. Well, I end up in the emergency ward for an unrelated incident, and I swell up like I am nine months pregnant. This is normal for me. I am swollen, and sore. They said that was not right, and I had a cat scan and had FIVE blockages in my small intestines. I felt she totally got me wrong, did not even TRY to find troubleshoot my stomach, and in fact blamed me for reacting to stress. And for the record FIBER is NOT an answer to fixing all that is wrong with your stomach. I will not return to her and I would not recommend her.

flag | Submitted June 5, 2013

Dr. Bongiovanni and her staff were the best I've had in a very long time. Cheerful, professional,and well trained.

flag | Submitted November 16, 2012

Dr B. has no bedside manner. This can be tolerated since you get such good care.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2011

Saw her after being blown off by another doctor for years. Turned out it was cancer and she had me reffered to surgeon and had surgery less than 2 weeks after initial office visit. Would have been dead if I stayed with my previous doctor. Any time I see Dr. B, she is nothing but caring, curteous (even apologized for wait) and professional. Always calls herself with lab and test results. When you talk to her, she talks TO you, and looks AT you, not at her paper. Have recommended several people to her and they all love her too. Don't know what I'll do if/when she retires!

flag | Submitted November 20, 2009

Dr. Gail L. Bongiovanni's Credentials

• Spanish

• Case Western Reserve University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1977)

HealthPartners