Ratings for Dr. Renuka D. Paka

Dr. Paka's midwives were incredible (5 stars), but unfortunately Dr. Paka was on call when I gave birth to my daughter at St. Luke's/ Mt Sinai west. Without getting into too many details I will share that I feel she has extremely poor bedside manner both at prenatal, delivery, and postnatal, though research exists to discourage certain practices she has not incorporated these into her practice, she disregarded my birth preferences, and I feel she used threat of a c-section to coarse me into other medical intervention to speed my delivery along. When I tried to discuss these issues and my concerns about my birth experience with her at a (5 minute) postnatal visit, she told me "just don't think about it" and to "put it out of my mind."

flag | Submitted July 16, 2017

The office staff is the Absolute WORST! Why does it have to take over 2 Months to have a Letter of Consent faxed to me. The office staff is very short Tempered and Short Patience. Dr. Paka on the hand, has always been very Understanding and Kind towards me and other patients I have witnessed her interaction with. I think its rather unfortunate that her Office staff does not care enough about her to pull their act together.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2016

Dr. Paka is currently on probation by NY State Board for Professional Misconduct. Order No.13-391. In effect 12/2/2013 for 36 months. 10,000 fine. Go to health.ny.gov search board action regarding physician by name. In addition she paid an undisclosed settlement for a case on April 24 2008. Her office ignored my direct and specific requests not to do labwork. They did anyway and I have a bill for work I did not need. Many calls to various office and billing staff have not resolved this. Hence discovery of current probation. If you have issues that are covered in OPD website, please file a complaint. Not recommended.

flag | Submitted November 3, 2015

This "doctor" should LOSE HER LICENSE to PRACTICE, otherwise SHE WILL KILL someone !!! She is the most irresponsible "doctor" I've ever met. Doesn't know the basics of good communication, empathy, sound decision making or the value of human life. She is a BUTCHER with a knife !!!

flag | Submitted May 18, 2015

I'm by no means searching for a hand-holder, but Dr. Paka was dismissive and a poor communicator. When I said I was having similar symptoms to the ones I had in my 20s with ovarian cysts, she never asked what the symptoms were -- she just handed me an ultrasound prescription. I had questions about high-risk conception and rather than give me much usable information, she kept saying "don't worry so much." The low-point is that Dr. Paka prescribed be a powerful topical cream to be used for several weeks while also telling me to try and conceive asap. When I asked whether the cream was contraindicated when trying to conceive or when pregnant, she said no, but every reputable website says to avoid using it because it may harm the fetus. I was sent away in a flurry of confusion and was never told whether to call for my pap results, whether to expect a call or mail, etc. Feels like a shoddy, rundown, haphazard office.

flag | Submitted October 10, 2013

I was very happy with the midwives. However, as for Dr. Paka I would say find yourself another doctor. She is associated with a teaching hospital and even though I went the midwife route a resident delivered my baby thankfully he was good but I tore and they cut me and when they sewed me up they relied on the epidural that times out at 10minutes. They didn't administer a local anesthetic until the very end, so needless to say I was in horrible pain. I had a stitch or two that came undone, went back to visit Dr. Paka and was told nothing could be done. OUCH!! I then visited a specialist and I was told it appeared had birth in a 3rd world country! HORRIBLE! I had my son circumcised and we are now approaching his first birthday and he is having it corrected because it was beyond sloppy. Overall if I could go back and do it all over I would find myself a new doctor. As it is I'm in search of a new Gynecologist.

flag | Submitted March 19, 2013

DO NOT USE THIS PRACTICE!!!was looking for a new ob/gyn and wanted one afiliated w Rsvlt Brthng Cntr.Paka herself does NOT deliver there, EVER(her website boasts otherwise).Her midwives are remiss in checking charts or in giving adequate care.I was being seen by the practice for 32 wks planning on delivering at the Brthng Cntr.I was told TODAY(at 32 weeks) that I "ruled out" of the brthng cntr at 5 weeks but was never told. This was the only reason I was using the practice as I live in bklyn.Travelling to the office was NOT convenient for me but I thought delivering and having my birth plan honored would be sufficient.I was given no explanation as to why I wasn't told earlier.The care I recieved during the 32 weeks was flippant and sub par.We have also waited for up to 2 1/2 hrs at the office.The office is not run well, and you have to hound them for blood results and other test results.I am currently looking for another provider to accept me at this late stage.Very disappointed!!

flag | Submitted November 15, 2012

OMG ! I am shocked to see negative reviews. Dr. Paka saved my life ! My chances of survival was 1% and if it was not for her I would not be alive. I think the millions of happy patient have not entered their reviews. I understand if some percent is unhappy for various reasons. I have all my friends going to dr. Paka since 2009 and all were extremely happy to have her to deliver their babies. All my friends witnessed first hand the importance of critical decision making that goes into the delivering baby. One friend who had a bit of complain was about the postpartum room had hard bed and its not comfortable, well after my baby came into world, she was glad all went so well that she found trivials to worry about!! St. Lukes has best of the doctors to take care of you when life is at risk. Period !! Every year I still have bunch of friends going to Dr. Paka to trust their babies will be delivered safe in her hands ! Love you Doctor Paka !!

flag | Submitted October 9, 2012

I agree with most negative reviews on Dr. Paka. I went to see her for my annual exam and had few concerns. She barely responded to my questions and sent me off with medication. After a week, I called to inform her that the medication had no effect and that I was concern it might be more serious than what we originally thought. Asked her if more exam should be done and she just told me to use vinegar and that I'll be fine. Never called back to see if indeed vinegar did wonders (because she didn't seem to care anyway)...so now I'm schedule to see another Dr. for better advices and care. Don't go to Paka...she may be nice and knowledgeable (maybe) but has no sensitivity.

flag | Submitted February 2, 2012

While I believe that Dr. Paka is kind, her staff is not. I went once for an annual exam at her office (covered 100% under my insurance, AETNA). Although I have never been pregnant in my life, her office charged me for ultrasound and other pregnancy services I did not receive. Each time I spoke to the office staff, they acknowledged the mistake and told me to ignore the charges. Then I got a letter from a collection agency. It took one year to resolve this issue-to get the insurance company, the collection agency, and Dr. Paka's office to communicate-the charges were dismissed. Now in 2011 (2 years later) again I get a letter from the collection agency. When I try calling Dr. Paka's office, the front desk staff puts me on hold and won't help me. The collection agency is unhelpful as well. I have never written a review online before this, but what is happening to me is wrong. Dr. Paka is disorganized with her finances which burdens her patients.

flag | Submitted July 25, 2011