Ratings for Dr. V.M. Lantos

Dr. Lantos is an exceptionally wonderful psychiatrist.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2017

I have been a patient of Dr. Lantos for the past 10 years. She is a very good psychiatrist and lets me do my own research when it comes to choosing my own medication management. (Most doctors will not do this). Furthermore, she is very understanding and forthright with making observations and giving advice. I have read some of the other comments that people have left and I believe that if they cannot take what their doctor tells them they should look at what is causing them to be so fragile in the first place. I will continue to see Dr. Lantos and I would also recommend any of my patients to go and see Dr. Lantos for psychotherapy and medication management any day. (I am a psychotherapist as well but not a psychiatrist).

flag | Submitted August 3, 2017

I had my first and last appointment with Dr. Lantos recently. I found her to be very judgmental, unprofessional, brusque and cruel. I was referred by my Family Doctor to help me deal with depression, anxiety and panic attacks which I have been struggling with due to situational, extreme life experiences that have left me unable to work. Within twenty minutes of listening to some background information, she informed me that she was not interested in having professional patients, that my anxiety and depression could be resolved by getting a job to make me feel good about myself and should not indulged in my depression!!! I was shocked and felt humiliated by her snapping comments during the next 30 minutes. She definitely is not a medical professional that I want on my road to recovery. There was nothing positive, encouraging or caring about our exchange. She should know of all people how detrimental and difficult depression and anxiety is and more if you are struggling with other real physical ailments. Dr. Lantos approach needs to be reviewed.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2016

I liked what Dr. Lantos had to say. I think she is very important for anyone who has difficult life situations :)

flag | Submitted September 21, 2016

My GP referred me to this woman back in January and today I finally went to what will be my first and last appointment. I can easily say that were I in a worse place in my life, she might have pushed me over the edge. I spent an hour getting insulted and being argued with about things that do not pertain to my psychological profile or mental health. She belittled me, overanalyzed everything I said, and founded our entire conversation on snap judgements. I couldn't get past a single sentence without having to defend myself. She criticized every relationship I have in my life, deeming all the positive aspects of my support structure to be toxic, and questioned my integrity constantly. She didn't believe a word I said, and would constantly try to antagonize me by questioning my accounts of my OWN life experiences. I should have stood up and left within the first 5 minutes of our interactions, but I was quietly hoping for something good to have come of the appointment. Instead I was put in the spotlight and mistreated. This was not a consultation, this was an interrogation. "She will berate and find fault in your appearance then look you up and down and express her opinion, as if she is the belle of the ball!" Said one reviewer, and I can attest to this. She decided to give me her "first impressions" after the interrogation, and it was only a summative of the abusive nature of what had gone on for one hour too many. If you value your sanity, your life and your self-respect, please do not see this woman.

flag | Submitted June 18, 2015

This woman should be in therapy!! She is abusive and misdiagnoses problems. I feel she is insensitive to others and has a judgemental attitude. Very very unhappy person, f you want to feel depressed make an appointment with her. She will berate and find fault in your appearance then look you up and down and express her opinion, as if she is the belle of the ball!

Submitted June 8, 2015

I had not planned to leave a review but after reading some of the other reviews, I feel it is now necessary. I am in agreement that psychiatrists and psychologists often have to tell patients things they don't want to hear. But there is a fine line between delivering insight and being downright insulting. Lantos crossed that line at almost every appointment I had with her. I cannot agree that she is professional -- professionalism involves following a line of conduct, showing good judgment and polite behaviour. She does not. She insults, jumps to conclusions and she is very quick to prescribe strong medication. I lasted only a few months under her "care" until I finally stopped going. She created an environment where I felt constantly under attack. Trusting your physician is the foundation to a good relationship. The point of an appointment is not to endure personal criticism in hopes that, at some point, she will provide useful feedback. As for her life experiences, she certainly shared those. She even shared experiences that had absolutely no applicability to my situation. Given that my appointments were to help me and NOT her, I cannot fathom why she felt the need to share. As an example, she described to me how anti-semitism is still alive and well in Europe. Yes, that is very sad, it was quite a story, but I was in the appointment to discuss handling stress and a series of extreme changes in my life. Her story took about 10 minutes out of my 50 minute appointment. And frankly, after being insulted and treated with disrespect, I could care less about her life or her experiences. I was left with the feeling that she makes snap-judgments about people and if she has decided (likely within the first 5 minutes) that she doesn't like you, you need to be prepared for bad treatment. Be warned.

flag | Submitted March 26, 2015

Dr. Lantos is a genuine human being. She manages to carefully balance her professional obligations with a refreshing candour so needed in psychiatry. That candour may account for some negative reviews here, but my experience was positive and life-changing. If you are ready and able to self-reflect and to work through issues, she will provide the professional support and guidance needed to sustain your journey. By definition, this means she'll tell you things you may not want to hear at times. That's the point. There is no doubt her own life experience influences how she practices psychiatry. I am not sure how this is different from any other psychiatrist. Dr. Lantos is a caring professional and the emphasis is on professional not 'cuddly' or artificially 'caring'. You are presumably seeing her because of her expertise. Make use of it. Her expertise and experience is hard to find.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2015

I have seen Dr. Lantos on and off, over about a 10 year period. We discussed some issues that were intensely personal to me, and I always found her to be direct and honest. Her approach was very helpful, even when I didn't always like what she had to say. Through our discussions, I was able to reexamine some rather entrenched ways of thinking, and I believe that has helped me a great deal in overcoming some personal obstacles. While it may be true that she might not be well described as being "cuddly", I would recommend her without hesitation.

flag | Submitted January 27, 2014

Dr. Vera Lantos is an amazingly wonderful doctor. She has been treating me since age 70. I am now 75 and since I've been under her care, I have been brought out of denial about my age, my self-esteem has increased to the point that I can now talk to people and maintain eye contact. I've been able to remember brutal abuse by my first husband and deal with that. I have learned to cope with my life in an adult manner; to cope with family situations better. I learned to become more feeling towards other people and towards my family. As stated in the Christian Bible John 8:32 "Then you will know truth and the truth will set you free," and Dr. Lantos has set me free. Yes, Dr. Lantos has healed me. Shirley Buchanan

flag | Submitted November 21, 2012