Ratings for Dr. Sharnell Muir

I am currently being treated by Dr Muir and felt it important to comment on a previous writers input. Or perhaps correct her oversights? These comments are in stark contrast to my own experience. I too was drawn to Dr Muir's services through a local newspaper ad. It clearly stated "Dental Sleep Medicine" as well as her credentials as that of a dentist - although a dentist with further training and knowledge than most. I was quite taken that her knowledge of sleep medicine exceeded that of my physician who has been in practice for more than forty years. My physician too has taken samples from me physically in the past that have been sent away for study. I certainly do not view him as less of a physician for doing so? I personally felt extremely comforted that this dentist worked with a network of qualified sleep physician specialists and it was a major factor in my decision to proceed with treatment from her rather than my general dentist (who also happens to have extremely limited knowledge of dental sleep when asked for input on it by me). I personally appreciated being shown a number of different appliances that were explained in detail by Dr Muir. At no point did I feel these were being "pedalled". I am CPAP intolerant and at no point until finding Dr Muir was I aware that I had another option for my sleep apnea. It is my wish for other patients similar to me that they are aware this treatment is a viable option. Dr Muir was very direct in informing me that my particular extended benefit plan would not cover the cost and in no way did I feel the slightest pressure to proceed. I personally chose my health over the cost. If the first week of wearing this oral appliance is any indication of how my quality of health is improved, I can not imagine forever being grateful for her help.

flag | Submitted March 12, 2015

DR. MUIR IS NOW IN NORTH VANCOUVER AT CANOPY HEALTH. She is regularly advertising herself in the local paper as a "snoring specialist". She operates out of a brand new office with multiple practitioners and specialties in one "holistic health" office, so she seems very legitimate. She offers no clue as to her credentials or what kind of doctor she is. My husband found this strange, and that she had to send his sleep report away to be "analyzed" - if she was a sleep specialist, why couldn't she analyze the report? Now we know why - she's a dentist! Not a "sleep specialist". When my husband went to her office for help with severe snoring/night time breathing issues. she had several plastic mouthpieces on display. He has been told by previous doctors that his problem will probably require surgery, so he came to Dr. Muir because she promised a cure for snoring with great success rates. When he saw all the plastic appliances in the office, he was wondering if she was just peddling these things, or if she offered a comprehensive treatment plan or any different options. He did her sleep apnea home testing (which he had already done a couple years ago), and was surprised to learn that he has "moderate sleep apnea" (which the previous test did not indicate). The prescribed solution: the plastic appliance in her office! What are the odds! He asked about CPAP, the usual treatment for apnea; she said he wouldn't tolerate it well. CPAP is covered by our medical system; the plastic appliance would cost $2,700, not covered by our medical. My brother in law had a similar device which cost $300 (covered); that was not presented as an option. Surgery was not discussed. After reading these reviews, it all comes together. It's interesting to note in these reviews how she left Kelowna, then quickly left Victoria, and is now settled in North Vancouver touting herself as a "sleep specialist". I hope everyone reads these reviews before booking an appointment with her. Don't be fooled! Luckily we found this page and read her reviews before we paid her $2,700 out of pocket.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2015

I have recently completed a treatment schedule with Dr Muir and cannot express my satisfaction enough. I found her to be extremely knowledgable, very thorough and clear in her explanations to me every step of the way. Absolutely first class experience and would highly recommend her.

flag | Submitted December 18, 2014

I don't understand why she has not lost her licence to practice or why she has not been formally disciplined by her professional body. This woman is incompetent and dishonest and should not be allowed to practice.

flag | Submitted December 6, 2014

I was referred to Dr Muir by my physician this past summer. I am extremely pleased with the treatment I received from her. I found her to be very professional with a wealth of knowledge. My quality of life has been improved dramatically.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2014

I was recently treated by Dr Muir. I found her to be very professional and extremely knowledgeable. She was thorough in explaining what my options were. I highly recommend this doctor.

flag | Submitted September 19, 2014

After years of sleeping pills Dr. Muir suggested an at home sleep study to investigate for sleep apnea. I was shocked to find out I had moderate sleep apnea. My sleep was being interrupted all night long. I was fitted for a mouth appliance and honestly within 3 days my energy level changed. The appliance is small and easy to where and replaced my grinding appliance. Dr.Muir seems to be a specialist in this field and I was lucky to cross paths with her as the treatment has enhanced my daily life. Also my extended health care covered the cost!

flag | Submitted July 26, 2014

Family went to Dr.M for 3-4yrs in Kelowna. We thought she'd left dentistry b/c of patient complaints. Had to write when I learned she is still practicing. Dr.M told me all my fillings needed replacing. 4yrs later, according to my new dentist they are still fine. Maybe not a big deal. But to me this is: Dr.M recommended an appliance for my 6yr old tooth-grinding daughter. Used adult-sized equip for multiple molds etc & my daughter developed serious dentist anxiety. Was sent by DrM to pediatric dentist so she could be sedated. Ped dentist said the whole thing was unnecessary!! Daughter is 10 now, stopped grinding & teeth are fine, with no interventions. And is *almost* over her anxiety. Ped dent also said w kids what's most important is establishing a positive relationship w dentistry. But Dr.M, as I've since heard over & over from former patients & other dentists too, is all about the $$. Don't go to her! Don't know how she sleeps at night.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2014

She is horrible all she is in for is the money and she will give you incorrect diagnosis to make more money off you even if you do not need the surgery/equipment

Submitted June 24, 2014

I have lost 3 teeth over the years and they can be directly traced back to the shoddy, unnecessary work by Dr. Muir. Muir recommended a large amount of work to my wife which was not found by another dentist.

Submitted June 10, 2014