Ratings for Dr. Stephen McMahon

I've had 2 knee surgeries with Dr. McMahon. Left torn ACL, meniscus and strained MCL 6 years ago was the first time. A few weeks ago, he fixed my right ACL. Dr. McMahon uses the patella graft method and also does not use the Zimmer Splint post-op. He encourages weight bearing as tolerated after 24 hours and also not using the Zimmer splint which encourages more knee movement. In my opinion, this method is the best for a younger person with the goal of return to sport. This method encourages more mobility with the knee and helps gain range of motion earlier which allows you to start strengthening earlier. If your goal was not return to sport, then maybe hamstring graft and zimmer splint avoid weight bearing etc. can be good. However, I'm still a big fan of the patella graft method especially when comparing with others who did not return to sport after their ACL surgeries. A year after my left ACL surgery, I was back to playing soccer. I could snowboard by the time winter came along which was about 1.5 years after that. I used a Donjoy knee brace (expensive if you don't have benefits) which helped me gain my confidence back before slowly easing off the brace. I think he loses stars/points because he doesn't appear very approachable/friendly with his first impression. It's all business lol....however I honestly don't need any friendliness from a doctor, I just want him to be good. And Dr. McMahon really knows his sh!t. Recovery is key to how you rate your doctor, but so much about recovery depends on how much you are working on your rehab and also how good your physiotherapist is. I am lucky to know a very very good physio therapist too to help me get well. If anyone needs a physiotherapist, I HIGHLY recommend you contact Matthew Lee, he works downtown right now at Royal. Think of it this way. The doctor helps fix and set up your hardware back to factory settings, but if you don't turn the computer on and start using it, it really doesn't matter how good the hardware is. Thanks for fixing me up (twice) Dr. McMahon.

flag | Submitted November 21, 2017

He is an angel. He listens and offer viable solution without compromising patient's medical issue. I am blessed to be under his care Muhammed Sohail

flag | Submitted September 19, 2017

Awesome every step of the way of my TLKR. I highly recommend Dr. McMahon. Very caring and polite.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2017

Very satisfied with outcome of my knee replacement. Dr McMahon and his team at MSH are the best!!

flag | Submitted June 24, 2017

Had hip surgery May 2015. Two years later still discomfort, I have had three follow ups with Doctor McMahon that all were 1 hour late and lasted maybe 2 minutes. The hospital said he has seen 150 people that day. Not great help after surgery.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2017

Just reading comments and wanting to let other patients know that Dr. McMahon runs out of different clinics and has different staff for each of his clinics. The office I saw Dr. McMahon in ran smoothly and receptionist very pleasant and informative in respect to MRI being done and telling me to call her with MRI scheduled date and she wold book follow up apt for results. Very pleased with my encounter wit staff and doctor. He did run behind; however this is a specialtist office and they do run behind so I booked my day open to see him.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2016

Had surgery for shoulder was delayed 6 hours without any notice from him or anyone else. He never give you any details about what's is going to happen before or after the surgery. He didn't even come to see me after the surgery to see how I was feeling and what I should expect. Originally said I would be fine after 6 weeks and it now has been 6 months. To get him to fill out a former for my insurance was a nightmare as i would have to wait at least 7 to 10 days and calm the office several times. I just saw him again for a follow-up and was delayed 90min and he literally saw me for 90sec as he rushed out. He didn't even look at the insition to check how it was healing.

flag | Submitted April 1, 2016

Excellent surgeon, straight forward telling what needed to be done. I have had two surgeries with Dr. McMahon and will still go back to see him. He is the only reason I will go to Markham/ Stouffville hospital. Highly recommend for orthopedic surgery.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2016

Great person, real professional. Highly recommended.

flag | Submitted June 12, 2015

I had a knee replacement done. I have had nothing but problems and pain. Went back to him and he basically called me a liar and said the replacement was perfect. Currently seeking another surgeon for a second opinion .

flag | Submitted June 1, 2015