Ratings for Dr. Debbie Herbst

I saw Dr Herbst recently for the first time and she was AMAZING! Having moved to melbourne 6 years ago she is the first dr I have found that I trust and want to continue to use. She was able to diagnose my issues and send me off to a specialist who she then contacted directly to fit me in immediately as they couldn't see me for 2 months otherwise.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2011

It was my first ever visit with doc.Debbie Herbst,And i left unsatisfied, simply because she didn't give me any sensible advise, instead iv been ignored and left without any check up...Anything what I said about my symptoms -doc.Debbie contradicted, suggested me some more treatment without giving me any diagnose, which means pay more for not knowing what?I am very disappointed and will never comeback to her again.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2011

Dr Herbst is fantastic. She is actually very highly regarded by specialists that I have seen. She is kind and careful with her patients but doesn't suffer fools. I have seen her over ten years. I don't think she is arrogant, merely shy in some ways and keeps good boundaries with patients. She is always aware of the latest medications and is very up to date with treatments. As I have a child with on going health problems, she has been amazing to us all and I would highly recommend her to anyone. You need a doctor not a mother and that is what she s there for, to be your doctor!

flag | Submitted November 8, 2010

If you whingers really don't like this doctor's manner or skills in practice - why do you go back for more? Don't you have anything better to do than whinge? If anyone has real issues with a doctor, they should take it to the medical board. Apart from which, why should a doctor discuss anything with you on the telephone? That is why doctors, dentist, accountants etc have appointments and given that a genreal practitioner usually has back to back appointments each and every day, why do you think that you are entitled to take up another patient's time, or the doctor's perspnal time so that you can chat with them instead of making an appointment? Get real - or better still, try working with doctors for a while and learn how much effort goes into each and every patient, from all members of clinical and administrative staff. Stop whinging and move on.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2007

I recently moved to the area before having my baby son. We chose Dr Herbst as our family dr and were relieved to see a certificate for best GP for the SE region on her desk. However, my experience has been mostly frustrating and negative (but not always). For most of the visits she could not diagnose the problems - or wrongly diagnosed meaning i had to go back (and pay another $50!). When talking about my sons eczema she didn't even look at him. For his problems, she gave bad advice and missed diagnoses. When I called to speak to her about it she only dealt with it through the receptionist as I suspect she knew she had given me bad advice. I will not go back.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2007

Good to know that someone finds Dr Herbst helpful and devoted. However my experience and that of several others with whom this has been discussed, is that she is often unable to give knowledgeable advice and comes across as arrogant. Maybe she's better with children - these experiences were all mentioned by adults.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2007

I have read a number of criticisms regarding sites like this because it is felt that people can use it as a forum to air grievences without doctors being able to defend themselves etc. So its with this in mind that I say this. Dr Herbst is really a hopeless GP. She is not up to date with her medical knowledge, prescribes and dispenses medication inappropriately despite contraindications listed on patient information sheets (in at least 2 instances that I know of -once personally and once an immediate family members) and is generally known for looking down on her patients. Doctors are able to object to postings here however I do think that patients should be able to hear about other peoples experiences with her - after all she provides a service, which can be rated on much like any other.

flag | Submitted May 27, 2007