Ratings for Dr. Kirsten L. Smith

Dr. Smith was a very nice doctor and answered all our questions. She gave birth to my wife and did a great job (very efficient). Her average waiting time for the visit was 15-30 mins.

flag | Submitted December 6, 2016

I went to go see Dr. Smith as I was suffering severe chronic pelvic pain due to endometriosis. She treated me as if it was all in my head, and said "maybe it's 'just' nerve pain, because this isn't a typical symptom of endo. and you'll just have to learn to live with it." YES, chronic pelvic pain IS a symptom of endo. She then said that no one would ever give me a second surgery unless I was experiencing infertility. I was in so much pain I could barely walk, yet she denied me care - she told me to "wait" to see if the pain would go away (it doesn't with my disease), and then she openly shamed me for taking oxycontin to cope with the pain, saying that I had to get off of it, and I would never get that kind of medication from her. She then gave me a prescription for naproxen, even though I told her I have a blood disease and shouldn't be taking it. As far as I'm concerned, this horrible woman should have her license removed. She made me feel as if there was no hope, and left me to suffer severe pain. I'm embarrassed that she can treat endo patients like this, especially that she works with a well-known endometriosis specialist, Dr. Lee. I took my business to another doctor and am anxiously awaiting my surgery date :)

flag | Submitted November 24, 2016

No doubt Dr. Smith is intelligent and a great doctor but the comment below about her receptionist Eva and how great she is is overstated and false. She needs an attitude adjustment and it has probably been brought to her attention by now, so she may be better now. However she is the reason I pulled my file from this office to be followed by an OB at Mount Sinai Hospital. Anyway, I work in a high volume department at a hospital, with multiple physicians and many, many patients and would never speak to any of them the way she did to me on a consistent basis. Every one has their bad day, but it was clear that Eva had an issue with speaking to patients with respect.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2016

I had an incredible experience through my entire pregnancy with Dr. Smith. I loved Eva (her receptionist) as well. Any time I called I expected to be put on hold (did you see how busy the office can be??) and I know she did the best she could to get to the calls as quick as possible. I know how hard it is to deal with calls and patients coming in and out and I think she dos great. And Dr. Smith always made very intelligent decisions regarding my pregnancy, and was also warm and friendly. I really loved this team and had great experiences from start until finish. I will absolutely be coming back for next baby!

Submitted August 9, 2016

Can't thank Dr. Smith enough, I am seven weeks post op from my radical hysterectomy. I feel very good and she has been there when I needed her and I always feel that she listened to my concerns pre and post op.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2016

Dr Smith seems caring and knowledgeable. She is pro-sushi for pregnant women :)

flag | Submitted July 8, 2016

I cannot agree with the comment written below on April 15 regarding the receptionist, Eva. Dr. Smith, herself, is actually a wonderful and knowledgeable doctor, and I would recommend being referred to her, even more so if she had a receptionist with some level of emotional intelligence. Not too long ago, I had a missed miscarriage and was referred to Dr. Smith. Because it was my second early miscarriage (and obviously concerning for my husband and I), Dr. Smith asked that, when I am pregnant again, I call her office when I find out and make an appointment to see her earlier (as opposed to 11 weeks) for an ultrasound and close monitoring. When we become pregnant for the third time, I followed her instructions and called her office to make an appointment. Not only was I already fearful and anxious being pregnant again, I had to deal with her absolutely rude receptionist, Eva. I was cut off numerous times over the phone and she insisted that, despite what Dr. Smith's instructions were to me, I needed to go to the early pregnancy clinic and see Dr. Smith at 11 weeks. My GP contacted the office and recommended that I see Dr. Smith early, as per her instructions. I never heard back and, unfortunately, miscarried for the third time, while waiting. I understand that there was nothing Dr. Smith could have done to help keep my pregnancy, but Eva's attitude and disrespect did not help how I was feeling. Being pregnant can sometimes be scary for some women and, in an office like Dr. Smith's, I would assume the front-line staff would be aware of that fact. Eva is impatient and ill-mannered.

flag | Submitted May 26, 2016

I thought I'd do a favour for the potential patients of Dr. Smith's, by writing this review: I am 20 weeks pregnant with my first and I've had two appointments so far with Dr. Smith's office. I saw her one time out of the two, and somebody covering her while she was on vacation. I am not writing based on the helpfulness of Dr. Smith and her medical student, they were a pleasure in the 15 minutes I sat with them. My review is based on Dr. Smith's TERRIBLE receptionist, I do not know her name, it may be Eve, but she is a Filipino lady who sits on the right hand side of the front desk (I do not mean to use her ethnic background to be malicious, as I am of Filipino descent myself - this is just to describe this lady as I'm not certain of her name). She has the worst telephone manners - she cuts me off mid sentence, talks to me as if she is scolding her child, and is just not a pleasant person to deal with over the phone at all. Every time I speak with her I find my self red with frustration and confusion as to how a woman can be so passive aggressive to another woman who is expecting her first child. I generally have high tolerance for others, and understand one might have a rough day, but it's clear that this lady is always this way. My expectations are not high at all. When I interact with her in person though, to my surprise. She is very brief and polite, I'm assuming this is because I am face-to-face with her. This office does not call their patients to confirm their upcoming appointment, thus do not notify the patient NOT to go to North York General Hospital as they are located OFF SITE on 1333 Sheppard Ave. That reminder would have been helpful when I attended my first appointment late, during a hailing raining snowstorm. Also, Her receptionist called me on a Friday afternoon (today) only to cancel my Monday morning appointment. She became even nastier when I asked about the process of being referred to another OB - since North York Gen is out of my way. Mind you, I like Dr. K Smith and was willing to put up with this rotten receptionist of hers. I work in healthcare and would never be this passive aggressive with any patient, on the phone or in person - I would say I have interacted with this receptionist (Eve I believe her name is) more than I have with Dr. Smith and her team. Every time I speak with this lady I regret ever being referred to this office. I would not recommend going to Dr. K Smith's office if you do not want to be spoken to like a child, or if you are expecting your first baby and have questions simple enough for a receptionist could answer. This secretary leaves a bitter taste in my mouth every time I get off the phone. If Dr. Kirsten Smith or a team member or hers is reading this: Please look into hiring a compassionate and professional front-line member of your office, since Eve (I have to confirm this receptionist's name, and I'll sleep better at night) is poorly representing you and your lovely staff. I tried my best to tolerate this lady, but for other reasons, due to travel and hassle to get to your office, I will have to bring my "business" elsewhere. I was originally referred to Dr. Sabrina Lee, who unfortunately was not accepting patients.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2016

Just met Dr. Smith. She listened to my concerns, was prepared for my appointment and was great to talk to. Ensured I was making the right decision to have my surgery. Really liked her personality and attention to detail. Her assistant was also very nice and professional.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2016

I had my first baby with a midwife, but then had to go to an OB for my second pregnancy due to some complications. Dr. Smith was professional and gave me all the support that I wanted. Sure, she didn't sit down with me for 30 min to talk about every little question, but by the second baby, I didn't want that anyways. I did have some potential risks with this second baby and Dr. Smith was very responsive and supportive through my pregnancy. We had to schedule a c-section and it went very smoothly. I would totally go back to her if I were having any more kids!

flag | Submitted January 8, 2016