Ratings for Dr. Tom Perry

I sent him an email saying I'll be forever grateful. I am lucky that they finally found the problem and my pain ended. But during all that time I was in pain, he was the first one who sorted through the mess of options and opioids I'd tried and other drugs and antidepressants I was on to try new things and come up with solutions…for me that ended up being methadone, and he was very patient and informed in terms of all my hesitations. To get in, I hope you can find a doctor willing to bug and bug and bug him to advance a referral… that's what worked for me. He also used his contacts to get me into a surgeon in 6 months instead of 9 months (he tried and tried for sooner but that's all the surgeon at that time could do).

flag | Submitted November 19, 2016

I've been seeing this doctor for ten years. During these years he has treated a very complex pain syndrome that has been referred to as the suicide disease in many medical journals, books and studies. He took complete charge of the excruciating pain, took me off a potential lethal dose of an anti-seizure medication which is prescribed as a neuropathy pain management by doctors that IMO, no very little about safe dosages. He took time to stay almost 30 minutes after my appointment, which was his last of the day, on a Friday evening to meet my family!!! :) Our family doctor whom referred me was a student in a class Dr. Perry taught at U.B.C. When Dr. Perry found out our family doctor was an "intelligent, enthusiastic doctor", he took additional time to write a hand written letter to our doc in regards to my wife's autoimmune disease. The letter offered support, opinion and even a sentence referring to an overdue assignment from his School day, which speaks volumes! We need more Tom Perry's!

flag | Submitted April 2, 2014

He is the only specialist that is helping me. He gives me hope, listens and assists me where modern medicine can. This world needs more doctors like Dr. Perry.

flag | Submitted November 20, 2013

Dr. Perry is an extraordinary doctor. Yes, he talks a lot but he also knows a lot. He was willing to help me when I was in severe pain and decided that he had something to learn from my complex case as it had many unusual and atypical presentations. He did what all great doctors do, applied curiosity to my case instead of leaping to dismissal and judgement, which is what happened to me with many other doctors, while I struggled to get an appropriate diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. He has given me the opportunity to be involved in educating the next generation of doctors and always treated/treats me with great respect. Of all the medical reports I have read in the past few years, his discharge summary was the first and only report that was flawless and completely accurate. I know that he will be there for me if I need help again.

flag | Submitted June 5, 2013

I have seen *a lot* of doctors because of a disease I've had since I was young. Dr. Perry is one in a million, without a doubt. He actually cares about the entire picture not just the immediate problem. I have been over-medicated and all the various drugs I was taking were intensifying each others side-effects. Dr. P worked with me to figure out what I really needed to be taking. He's the first doctor who understood that being in pain for a long time can be really scary. This man is compassionate and highly knowledgeable. I feel very lucky to have been seen by him. And yes, he does run late, but once you know that, you can prepare for it. Once it's your turn to see him, he doesn't rush you out, and that's what matters the most.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2013

This doctor seems to have a 'God' complex! And if you wait ( because appts are always late! ) you'll get the pleasure of listening to him babble and babble about things that aren't really related to your visit. He loves to hear himself talk IMO. I found him pushy, rude and he had no empathy for my case. If you have questions expect to listen to a half hour on some babble that doesn't relate to what you asked. It's hard to get a word in because he doesn't stop to listen to you or your concerns. He seems more interested in showing off to his students than bothering to take time out to listen. There was zero follow up care, never heard from their office after my hospital stay. He made assumptions about me without knowing or asking me. I'm sorry I sat for an hour 1/2 just to hear him talk about himself, and I'm sorry I ever agreed to listen to his misguided advice. Prepare to be judged and treated like a exhibit for his students. I don't get why everyone thinks he's such a good doctor?

flag | Submitted November 16, 2012

This doctor is an angel. I don't care if his wait times are long. He spent an hour with me. He helped me when others wouldn't. I am so grateful to him. I trust him. He is extremely knowledgeable. This man is one in a million. If you have pain and no one will help you, get referred to Dr. Tom Perry. He can change your life. And his staff is great-kind, compassionate and helpful. There are no words to describe how wonderful Dr. Perry is. He deserves medal.

flag | Submitted September 22, 2012

A very helpful dude, knowledgeable w/ a never say die approach; a bit quirky though, & thorough!

flag | Submitted November 7, 2011

I have been seeing Dr. Perry for about 1 year. He is very nice and made me feel like finally someone is going to listen and help. He did a big change with my medication. In one year I took 4853 pills 7 different kinds of medication. Now I only take 2 types of medication. At a lot less cost. We are still working together as I still have issues. I appreciate the fact he has not given up on me. Which has happened by other Doctors in the last 5 years. His assistant Trina and Michell at the front desk are great working with. My entire experience has been wonderful. All the Student Doctors have been great to work with. Because they are learning you get to find out a lot more info yourself which I like. Dr. Perry is open to listening to your ideas.

flag | Submitted October 30, 2011

Pharmacologist & Internist. Runs late but that means he takes time with each case, occasionally feels like he's rushing you out, but often not. Gets that opiates can be necessary for any quality of life, and for many of this we couldn't remain living without them because the unmedicated pain is just so so unbearably intense.

flag | Submitted February 15, 2011