Ratings for Dr. Ellen N. Thompson

Dr Thompson is an amazing doctor. She is professional and listens to her patients needs. I read a few of these rating, one this is true, she does seem rough around the edges but her bark is bigger than her bite. Unfortunately she retired. Who hired her replacement? Dr Enfield? Word to the wise.....her replacement Dr ENGFIELD is a horrible replacement. He is a drug dealer with a note pad. Ellen if u are reading this, he fired me as a patient because "he was not comfortable treating me anymore" are u kidding! That is not a valid reason. He fired me and threw me on methadone. No continuity of care?? I should have retired with you Ellen. Miss you lots ..................

flag | Submitted February 11, 2017

Dr Thompson rec'd a personal letter from me a few years back, in response to my familiarity with her online published seminars on chronic pain. I wrote to her regarding my frustration with the treatment of, and how I had thuis far been rec'd by physicians I needed to treat my chronic pain. Dr,. Thompson, two months later, responded personally to my address to her by making a phone cal to me at home. She had read my letter, and made a personal phone call to me, at home, asking me a variety of questions, as well as making a diagnosis of failed back surgery. She believed me, when few othjers would, and she said I should immediatly get a referral to her office, from my doctor, and that I would get an appointment to see her within days of her getting that referral. it is important to note that Dr. Thompson's repitation is one of high respect and she is a very, very busy prfessional. Her waiting ist for patience is approximately 2, to 3 years. I got in to see her, from the time I wrote a personal email to her, to the time i was sitting in her office, within 3 months. She is/was a no-nonsense professional, she follows the rules, and would not hesitate to call police if she were to see any abuse of the opiates/narcotics she commonly prescribes for her patients. I know this, because she told me. I have nothing but complete respect fort this doctor, and basing on my assumption that she is still in practice, would recommend her in a New York minute. She is one of a very small few number of health care professionals allowed to practice and prescribe solely in chronic pain patients.

flag | Submitted October 29, 2016

I had a great experience with doctor Thompson . she treated my chronic pain at CPM for years. I question why she would let a horrible doctor like Dr Enfield take over her pati3nts once she retired. I had the absolute worst experience w him after doctor Thompson. He fired me as a patient for no valid reason and left me with no medical care . after years if being on painkillers at CPM, he fired mefor no reason and I have no doctor to take care of my chronic pain. Thank you so much Dr thompson ! I reached out to you after this horrible experience and you ignored my calls and messages. Well I'm at home in bed in a ton of pain if u give a care. I wish you would have gotten back to me. What a disgrace your replacement is!

flag | Submitted June 18, 2016

Dr Thompson is a very compassionate and caring professional. If you are not will to follow you Doctors advice and recommendation this is not the Doctor for you. I followed her treatment plan and got my life back. She is a very knowledgable and noble professional. I recommend her 100% and trust her with my life. It is bitter sweet to have her retire however she need to enjoy some much need rest after her genuine fight for health for so many of us. Thank you and enjoy your well deserve retirement.

flag | Submitted May 22, 2014

Since Dr. Thompson is presently in the process of retiring, this may not be of much use to those looking for a pain management doctor, but she did come out of retirement once already, so who knows! (HOPEFULLY she won't have to a second time!) Which basically is the point of this comment; if she came out of retirement due to the fact that there are so few pain management doctors, that alone lets you know the kind of person she is. She took on my case in 2009 when my previous doctor had me on 40-80mg oxycontin a day, and gave me only TWO WEEKS notice, saying he was retiring (I found out from a nurse at CPM that he'd lost his licence, apparently due to over prescribing narcotics - how surprising!). She already obviously had a more than full patient load, but made time for me, brought me down to almost 1/4 as many painkillers, and gave me back my life. Her bedside manner may have been slightly impatient, but the poor woman was doing the work of about 3 doctors! She has my utmost respect.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2014

Until seeing this doctor , my complaints of severe neuropathic pain ( burning , weakness, numbness , tingling ) were completely dismissed. I was in agony physically and emotionally. She took my case on immediately upon referral due to my young age and how rare and mysterious my condition is. She he did a thorough exam and was very patient and kind. She is very knowledgable , and has given me countless options. It's give me hope when I had none previously by another pain specialist who thought it was psychosomatic. I am sad that she is retiring , because she is wonderful ! She has tried to retire before but out of the goodness of her heart has stuck around due to shortages in doctors. I can only hope that upcoming pain specialists are willing to think outside of the box and never give up on making their patients quality of life better. She is very respected by other doctors for a reason.

flag | Submitted February 11, 2014

I was involved in an MVA Feb 13th,1993. I was treated by my GP for chronic pain for 12 years. In 2005 he cut back on his patient practice and discontinued care. I was unable to find a doctor to provide me with treatment for pain for nearly four years. That period of time was a living hell, and I very nearly ended my life. I wound up in the hospital for Tylenol toxicity as I was trying to treat my pain with every type of over the counter medication I could get my hands on, in life threatening doses. When I finally found out about the Centres for Pain Management I couldn't get a referral to it because I didn't have a G.P. Eventually I found a doctor who would refer me even though he would not treat me, and I finally got into the Centre in the fall of 2008. I started seeing Dr Ellen Thompson in April of 2010, She is compassionate, professional, knowledgeable, and has literally saved my life. I cannot begin to express my gratitude to Dr Thompson and the CPM. I am very lucky.

flag | Submitted July 2, 2013

Dr. Thompson is one of the most compassionate drs. that I have met. She was very patient, knowledgable,and caring. I highly recommend her. She is an expert.in her field..

flag | Submitted December 15, 2010

Can a Doctor be knowledgeable if they don't listen, don't let you finish your sentence and don't have room for anyone's opinion except their own - especially the patient? My worst experience with a Doctor.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2010

Dr. Thompson changed my life. She is the only doctor who treats me with respect and gave me the medications I needed to get rid of some of the pain I have. She truly listens and is very kind and caring. Some people have called her abrasive or rude, but I think she really is just blunt and to the point. You shouldn't be insulted or upset so easily. Realize she is overloaded with patients and sees chronically ill people come in every single day and they all complain about problems and she has to try to help them the best she can. Pain isn't cureable really, so it must be frustrating for her to see the same people over and over who are still in pain despite the fact they are on the best medications this country has to offer. Dr. Thompson is an amazing pain specialist. I'd ignore the bad reports but you are free to do what you want. Tom W.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2010