Ratings for Dr. James R. Kauten

Dr Kauten repaired my husbands heart valve. We found him to be very caring and knowledgeable. My husband said after the surgery he felt like he had a new heart.

flag | Submitted April 11, 2017

Had a quintuple bypass performed by Dr. Kauten on 5/6/16 and I am up and around 6 weeks later. Simply the best. Shout out to his PA Phil, the ICU team, the nurses and everyone else involved with my care. You were all the best. Thank you.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2016

After monitoring a heart murmur for a number of years I elected to have Dr. James R. Kauten, MD perform a heart valve replacement. I entered the hospital as an otherwise healthy 58 year old male. In the recovery room after surgery I began to bleed. Dr. Kauten had to reopened my chest to stop the bleeding. After receiving many units of blood, I was sent back to recovery. During the operation my AV node was seriously damaged. For the rest of my life I am totally dependent on a pace maker for survival. I would not recommend Dr. James R. Kauten, MD to a friend.

flag | Submitted May 25, 2015

Dr. Kauten is incredible. I required open heart surgery and my emergency room doctor sent me to Dr. Kauten. God was looking out for me. He is a kind, reassuring GENIUS! Might lack just a little in bedside manner, seems kind of shy actually, but he is a great doctor. My surgery was two years ago and I had six bypasses and an ICD implanted later by another doctor. If you have a broken heart, this is the man you want taking care of you. And his staff is also excellent. My wife and I were in love with them, and all Piedmont personnel, during my two weeks there. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

flag | Submitted October 16, 2013

This dr did my aortic heart valve replacement on 8-15 -11 .He did a great job,I am very blessed to have found him and am doing great I would recommend him in a"heart beat"!!

flag | Submitted January 11, 2012

Great doctor!!! He saved my brother's life. Thanks Doc.

flag | Submitted September 19, 2011

Dr. Kauten seemed very caring and knowledgeable but his partner, Dr. Louis Prevosti, was the doctor that did the bypass on my father. Not just sour grapes that he passed away after Dr. Prevosti did his work but the fact that he told us AFTERWARDS that the surgery would have been difficult for a man half my dad's age. How interesting he couldn't have told us this before the surgery. The story changes after the surgery. No, they can't know everything ahead of time, but don't give tell the family he has a 95% chance if he has more like a 5% chance. Have the decency to be honest. You should be ashamed, Dr. Prevosti. Be glad the rest of the doctors on your team are not like you.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2008

I used to work for him. He is the best in the group (Peachtree Cardiovascular) in my opinion. He is a brilliant surgeon, and a very kind, patient man.

flag | Submitted April 6, 2007

Top notch doctor and a terrific human being as well.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2006

Dr. James R. Kauten's Credentials

• Finch U Of Hs/Chicago Med Sch, North Chicago Il 60664 (Grad. 1978)