Dr. Arthur J. Castelbaum

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Arthur J. Castelbaum

Dr. Castelbaum's compassion, patience, support & kindness through our infertility treatments have been such a gift in our journey of becoming pregnant. He never rushed us with decisions & always gave us time, information, knowledge & referrals to make an informed decision on how to proceed. We wholeheartedly trusted him & his staff to help us do our best in creating the family we've always dreamed about. He was wonderfully recommended by my amazing OBGYN. We highly refer him & his staff to all who are going through infertility issues too.

flag | Submitted September 24, 2017

We had a wonderful experience with Dr. Castelbaum and the rest of the staff at RMA. Dr. Castelbaum was very knowledgable and friendly. He would take the time to explore all options and discuss together with us our best plan of action. He gave us hope when we thought we didn't have any. Thanks to him we have a beautiful little girl and are currently expecting our second miracle baby! The staff was very supportive and readily available anytime we had questions. We highly recommend Dr. Castelbaum and the staff of RMA to anyone seeking excellent and knowledgable fertility care!

flag | Submitted September 18, 2017

Dr. Castlebaum has the perfect beside manner and clinical knowledge for his position. He has made us laugh in some of the darkest of times, and made us hopeful when we did not think there was much to be hopeful for. He knows what he is doing clinically (we are pregnant thanks to him), and he finds a way to take the weight and anxiety of what is going on off of the patients and their partners. He makes an effort to keep things light, however, can lend a serious ear or advice when necessary. He is appropriate to the situation. He also has a fabulous team of other providers, namely Melissa (NP) in the Mechanicsburg office, that are extremely skilled, knowledgeable, and again- great bedside manner. The bedside manner makes a world of difference when you are going through a loss, or trying to start again.

flag | Submitted September 14, 2017

Excellent doctor he makes the process feel so easy and light especially when you have so many negative thoughts and concerns running in your head. A good doctor with good sense of humour, I actually like the fact that he is casual just like any other routine doctor visit unlike my experience at some other clinic where you are made to feel as a "problem child needing help" I absolutely recommend him! All of RMA's staff and doctors are good.

flag | Submitted September 8, 2017

I cannot say enough about the care and support I received from Dr. Castelbaum and the entire staff at RMA. Being frustrated, nervous and scared not knowing why I wasn't getting pregnant - Dr. Castelbaum immediately put my concerns at ease and made me confident we would find out why it wasn't happening and the solution that was right for me. I ended up proceeding with IVF which was so much easier than I thought. Dr. C. and the staff prepared me for every step along the way. I'm so happy to say I'm now 10 weeks pregnant and just finished up my time with Dr. Castelbaum and the wonderful staff at RMA. If you are nervous or afraid - don't be. The experience I had was wonderful and I cannot thank everyone at RMA enough. They made my dream of becoming a parent come true.

flag | Submitted September 6, 2017

Dr. Casteslbaum has helped me conceive my first born baby 5 years ago, as well as most recently; my newest pregnancy. He has wonderful bedside manner and makes you feel so comfortable. After have multiple miscarriages in between my two viable pregnancies; his weekly ultrasounds and blood tests and same day results have set me at ease through this most recent pregnancy. I will and have recommended him to everyone who has ever asked which fertility doctor I used. Thank you RMA and Dr. Castelbaum for everything!

flag | Submitted August 23, 2017

Dr. Castelbaum has one of the poorest bedside manners I've ever countered. He seems nice and laid-back, which might be comforting to some, but he is incredibly cavalier and casual. I do not want to hear from my doctor that he is "warmed up" because he's already performed this procedure today---the woman who had the same procedure earlier in the day? She's just as important as I am. Nor do I want viability scans to become stand-up comedy routines or exercises in stroking the doctor's ego ("I take full credit for this pregnancy!"). We are grateful to be pregnant, but we would not use this practice again.

flag | Submitted August 4, 2017

Dr. Arthur J. Castelbaum

Dr. Arthur J. Castelbaum's response
Thank you for your feedback. We take all feedback seriously and would like to discuss this issue further with you. Please contact our office at 215-938-1515 at your earliest convenience. Your feedback helps ensure that our practice provides the highest quality care for all of our patients. - Christina Robertson, Director of Patient Experience

Submitted August 21, 2017

Dr Castlebaum is a wonderful doctor and is highly recommended. The entire staff at RMA are very knowledgeable and kind. They make you feel at ease during such a stressful process. Dr Castlebaum is caring and treats everyone with the utmost respect.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2017

Would highly recommend Dr. Castelbaum and his team. Excellent bedside manner.

flag | Submitted July 18, 2017

Thanks to Dr. Castelbaum, the entire staff at RMA, and the process of donor egg IVF, my husband and I now have 2 beautiful sons. Dr. Castelbaum was recommended to me by my obgyn and from the day we met him, Dr. Castelbaum was kind and caring, always taking the time to answer questions with complete transparency, during what was an incredibly emotional time for my husband and me. With the testing and attention I received at RMA, Dr. Castelbaum diagnosed my infertility issues and presented us with our options for building our family. We never felt rushed or pressured to move forward with treatment. I highly recommend Dr. Castelbaum and the RMA team to anyone who is having trouble conceiving.

flag | Submitted June 16, 2017

Dr. Arthur J. Castelbaum's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Castelbaum received his medical degree from Washington University, and completed his residency training and postgraduate fellowship in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility at the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center. He has been featured in Philadelphia Magazine and on The Discovery Channel and he also serves as a reviewer for the journals Fertility and Sterility and Human Reproduction. Dr. Castelbaum won Vitals.com’s Compassionate Doctor Award for being one of the most caring doctors in the US 5 years in a row. Only 1% of all doctors in the United States are bestowed this honor by their patients.

• English

• Washington University Saint Louis (Grad. 1984)

• Male infertility
  • Female infertility
  • Infertility
  • In vitro fertilization (IVF)
  • Egg freezing
  • Endometriosis
  • Premature ovarian failure

• Scholar’s Program in Medicine, Washington University, St. Louis, MO
  • Phi Beta Kappa, Washington University, St. Louis, MO
  • Samuel D. Soule Award for Excellence in Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University St. Louis, MO
  • Student Teaching Award, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology,University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA
  • Top Docs, Philadelphia Magazine (Multiple years)

• Uterine receptivity defects: an underappreciated treatable cause of infertility. Infertil and Reprod Med Clin North Am 12:427-446, 2001.
  • Factors influencing adverse perinatal outcomes in pregnancies achieved through use of in vitro fertilization. Fertil Steril 86:1634-41, 2006.
  • Defining the rise of serum human chorionic gonadotropin in viable pregnancies achieved through use of in vitro fertilization. Hum Reprod 21:823-28, 2006
  • Exacerbation of ovarian hyperstimulation by leuprolide reveals a gonadotroph adenoma. Fertil Steril 78:1311-3, 2002.
  • Rev Integrins and implantation in the human. Endocr Metab Disord 3:107-117, 2002.

Kaiser-Permanente