Dr. Arthur J. Castelbaum

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Arthur J. Castelbaum

I came to Doctor Castelbaum via a friend's recommendation after 2 failed transfers and a chemical pregnancy at a separate fertility doctor. I had to move my fertilized eggs along with my trust to a new set of faces. That was one of the best decisions I have ever made, as I am pregnant with my first baby. You want to hug the staff when you leave. I never thought that I would be sad to be finished the visits, but it was very bittersweet. Dr. Castelbaum is a very compassionate straight-shooter with a sense of humor to balance out the anxiety. He's the best.

flag | Submitted April 13, 2018

My husband and I had difficulty conceiving and based on all of the reviews, we ended up going with Dr. Castelbaum and I'm so grateful we did. After two attempts of IUI, we gave fertility treatment a break and actually conceived on our own. Dr. Castelbaum still monitored my pregnancy from weeks 5-9, rather than wait for my first OB visit at week 8. Staying with RMA for the first four weeks quelled so many of my fears and anxieties. I wish I could stay with RMA for all of my OB care, thank you!

flag | Submitted March 29, 2018

I have had two ectopic pregnancies and lost both of my Fallopian tubes. I have been very emotional through this entire process. Dr. Castelbaum is the 3rd fertility doctor my husband and I have met. He was very honest and extremely caring. He explained things to my husband and I we didn’t know that no other fertility doctor told us. I look forward to this new journey with my husband. We can’t wait to get started.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2018

He was wonderful. He was able to put my husband and I both at ease, made us feel comfortable with any questions we had, and came across as very approachable. He spent a good deal of time talking over things, showing us pictures of what might need to be done and really helped us have hope again.

flag | Submitted January 31, 2018

Dr. Castelbaum made both my husband and I feel comfortable and confident there would be a treatment option that will work for us. He spent a lot of time with us answering my many questions and explaining our options and hope to have a successful future with him.

flag | Submitted January 30, 2018

When we started out on this journey, we felt overwhelmed with ensuring we made the right decisions along the way. At age 39, my wife and I felt apprehensive from the proclaimed statistics and probability of success. We decided to invest our faith and trust in the incredibly skilled minds at RMA Philadelphia. Dr. Castelbaum, Dr. Freedman and Dr Gutmann’s exceptional talent went far beyond our expectations. The entire staff’s knowledge and attitude were just short of magic. They were honest and forthright but confident. For my wife and I, this will go down as the smartest decision we’ve ever made. For if not for RMA Philadelphia, we would not have welcomed little Emily into the world on Aug 9, 2017. Thank you, RMA Philadelphia!

flag | Submitted October 4, 2017

Dr. Castelbaum's compassion, patience, support & kindness through our infertility treatments have been such a gift in our journey of becoming pregnant. He never rushed us with decisions & always gave us time, information, knowledge & referrals to make an informed decision on how to proceed. We wholeheartedly trusted him & his staff to help us do our best in creating the family we've always dreamed about. He was wonderfully recommended by my amazing OBGYN. We highly refer him & his staff to all who are going through infertility issues too.

flag | Submitted September 24, 2017

We had a wonderful experience with Dr. Castelbaum and the rest of the staff at RMA. Dr. Castelbaum was very knowledgable and friendly. He would take the time to explore all options and discuss together with us our best plan of action. He gave us hope when we thought we didn't have any. Thanks to him we have a beautiful little girl and are currently expecting our second miracle baby! The staff was very supportive and readily available anytime we had questions. We highly recommend Dr. Castelbaum and the staff of RMA to anyone seeking excellent and knowledgable fertility care!

flag | Submitted September 18, 2017

Dr. Castlebaum has the perfect beside manner and clinical knowledge for his position. He has made us laugh in some of the darkest of times, and made us hopeful when we did not think there was much to be hopeful for. He knows what he is doing clinically (we are pregnant thanks to him), and he finds a way to take the weight and anxiety of what is going on off of the patients and their partners. He makes an effort to keep things light, however, can lend a serious ear or advice when necessary. He is appropriate to the situation. He also has a fabulous team of other providers, namely Melissa (NP) in the Mechanicsburg office, that are extremely skilled, knowledgeable, and again- great bedside manner. The bedside manner makes a world of difference when you are going through a loss, or trying to start again.

flag | Submitted September 14, 2017

Excellent doctor he makes the process feel so easy and light especially when you have so many negative thoughts and concerns running in your head. A good doctor with good sense of humour, I actually like the fact that he is casual just like any other routine doctor visit unlike my experience at some other clinic where you are made to feel as a "problem child needing help" I absolutely recommend him! All of RMA's staff and doctors are good.

flag | Submitted September 8, 2017

Dr. Arthur J. Castelbaum's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Castelbaum received his medical degree from Washington University, and completed his residency training and postgraduate fellowship in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility at the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center. He has been featured in Philadelphia Magazine and on The Discovery Channel and he also serves as a reviewer for the journals Fertility and Sterility and Human Reproduction. Dr. Castelbaum won Vitals.com’s Compassionate Doctor Award for being one of the most caring doctors in the US 5 years in a row. Only 1% of all doctors in the United States are bestowed this honor by their patients.

• English

• Washington University Saint Louis (Grad. 1984)

• Male infertility
  • Female infertility
  • Infertility
  • In vitro fertilization (IVF)
  • Egg freezing
  • Endometriosis
  • Premature ovarian failure

• Scholar’s Program in Medicine, Washington University, St. Louis, MO
  • Phi Beta Kappa, Washington University, St. Louis, MO
  • Samuel D. Soule Award for Excellence in Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University St. Louis, MO
  • Student Teaching Award, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology,University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA
  • Top Docs, Philadelphia Magazine (Multiple years)

• Rev Integrins and implantation in the human. Endocr Metab Disord 3:107-117, 2002.
  • Uterine receptivity defects: an underappreciated treatable cause of infertility. Infertil and Reprod Med Clin North Am 12:427-446, 2001.
  • Factors influencing adverse perinatal outcomes in pregnancies achieved through use of in vitro fertilization. Fertil Steril 86:1634-41, 2006.
  • Defining the rise of serum human chorionic gonadotropin in viable pregnancies achieved through use of in vitro fertilization. Hum Reprod 21:823-28, 2006
  • Exacerbation of ovarian hyperstimulation by leuprolide reveals a gonadotroph adenoma. Fertil Steril 78:1311-3, 2002.

Delta Dental