Dr. Arthur J. Castelbaum

Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Arthur J. Castelbaum

Wonderful Doctor and staff!!! I would highly recommend them

flag | Submitted July 18, 2018

Dr. Castelbaum has been amazing through every step of this process. Thankfully, my results were very positive, but I'm sure he would be caring in a less than positive situation as well. He was thorough, caring, and clear about each step. I was nervous about some of the more invasive procedures. He walked me through everything to help ease my nervousness. I would highly recommend that anyone seeking fertility counseling should see him.

flag | Submitted June 26, 2018

I would highly recommend Dr. Castelbaum and his staff to anyone looking for infertility care. They always made my husband and I feel comfortable and were incredibly professional and knowledgeable.

flag | Submitted May 17, 2018

I came to Doctor Castelbaum via a friend's recommendation after 2 failed transfers and a chemical pregnancy at a separate fertility doctor. I had to move my fertilized eggs along with my trust to a new set of faces. That was one of the best decisions I have ever made, as I am pregnant with my first baby. You want to hug the staff when you leave. I never thought that I would be sad to be finished the visits, but it was very bittersweet. Dr. Castelbaum is a very compassionate straight-shooter with a sense of humor to balance out the anxiety. He's the best.

flag | Submitted April 13, 2018

My husband and I had difficulty conceiving and based on all of the reviews, we ended up going with Dr. Castelbaum and I'm so grateful we did. After two attempts of IUI, we gave fertility treatment a break and actually conceived on our own. Dr. Castelbaum still monitored my pregnancy from weeks 5-9, rather than wait for my first OB visit at week 8. Staying with RMA for the first four weeks quelled so many of my fears and anxieties. I wish I could stay with RMA for all of my OB care, thank you!

flag | Submitted March 29, 2018

I have had two ectopic pregnancies and lost both of my Fallopian tubes. I have been very emotional through this entire process. Dr. Castelbaum is the 3rd fertility doctor my husband and I have met. He was very honest and extremely caring. He explained things to my husband and I we didn’t know that no other fertility doctor told us. I look forward to this new journey with my husband. We can’t wait to get started.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2018

He was wonderful. He was able to put my husband and I both at ease, made us feel comfortable with any questions we had, and came across as very approachable. He spent a good deal of time talking over things, showing us pictures of what might need to be done and really helped us have hope again.

flag | Submitted January 31, 2018

Dr. Castelbaum made both my husband and I feel comfortable and confident there would be a treatment option that will work for us. He spent a lot of time with us answering my many questions and explaining our options and hope to have a successful future with him.

flag | Submitted January 30, 2018

When we started out on this journey, we felt overwhelmed with ensuring we made the right decisions along the way. At age 39, my wife and I felt apprehensive from the proclaimed statistics and probability of success. We decided to invest our faith and trust in the incredibly skilled minds at RMA Philadelphia. Dr. Castelbaum, Dr. Freedman and Dr Gutmann’s exceptional talent went far beyond our expectations. The entire staff’s knowledge and attitude were just short of magic. They were honest and forthright but confident. For my wife and I, this will go down as the smartest decision we’ve ever made. For if not for RMA Philadelphia, we would not have welcomed little Emily into the world on Aug 9, 2017. Thank you, RMA Philadelphia!

flag | Submitted October 4, 2017

Dr. Castelbaum's compassion, patience, support & kindness through our infertility treatments have been such a gift in our journey of becoming pregnant. He never rushed us with decisions & always gave us time, information, knowledge & referrals to make an informed decision on how to proceed. We wholeheartedly trusted him & his staff to help us do our best in creating the family we've always dreamed about. He was wonderfully recommended by my amazing OBGYN. We highly refer him & his staff to all who are going through infertility issues too.

flag | Submitted September 24, 2017

Dr. Arthur J. Castelbaum's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Castelbaum received his medical degree from Washington University, and completed his residency training and postgraduate fellowship in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility at the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center. He has been featured in Philadelphia Magazine and on The Discovery Channel and he also serves as a reviewer for the journals Fertility and Sterility and Human Reproduction. Dr. Castelbaum won Vitals.com’s Compassionate Doctor Award for being one of the most caring doctors in the US 5 years in a row. Only 1% of all doctors in the United States are bestowed this honor by their patients.

• English

• Washington University Saint Louis (Grad. 1984)

• Male infertility
  • Female infertility
  • Infertility
  • In vitro fertilization (IVF)
  • Egg freezing
  • Endometriosis
  • Premature ovarian failure

• Scholar’s Program in Medicine, Washington University, St. Louis, MO
  • Phi Beta Kappa, Washington University, St. Louis, MO
  • Samuel D. Soule Award for Excellence in Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University St. Louis, MO
  • Student Teaching Award, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology,University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA
  • Top Docs, Philadelphia Magazine (Multiple years)

• Rev Integrins and implantation in the human. Endocr Metab Disord 3:107-117, 2002.
  • Uterine receptivity defects: an underappreciated treatable cause of infertility. Infertil and Reprod Med Clin North Am 12:427-446, 2001.
  • Factors influencing adverse perinatal outcomes in pregnancies achieved through use of in vitro fertilization. Fertil Steril 86:1634-41, 2006.
  • Defining the rise of serum human chorionic gonadotropin in viable pregnancies achieved through use of in vitro fertilization. Hum Reprod 21:823-28, 2006
  • Exacerbation of ovarian hyperstimulation by leuprolide reveals a gonadotroph adenoma. Fertil Steril 78:1311-3, 2002.