Ratings for Dr. Derek Haruta

Update: Staff member called and told me that a refund was being prepared for the crown.

flag | Submitted May 4, 2018

I had a molar filling crack after it had been in my mouth for about 16 years. The dentist who had filled the tooth told me that if this filling cracks, the tooth needs to be pulled. He knew that I was moving away to St. Thomas and told me that the new dentist should pull it. I was a patient of Dr. Haruta for about 5 years when the filling cracked. I told him what this previous dentist had said and he said that he would crown it. I had to wait 3 months for the tooth to be fixed with a temp. crown. The tooth felt fine. The office staff called me to come in for the delivery of the permanent crown. I had it done. Two weeks later, I couldn't stand the pain. The root had died ( x-ray showed this) and I needed a $1700 root canal done at a place in London, but couldn't get in for two weeks. I called back to Haruta's office the day after I had the x-ray done, and he had gone on holidays' so Dr. Boyer ( was in Dr. Green's office) saw me and told me that the crown was loose and I had lost bone in my jaw, and she couldn't extract the tooth as she would leave some of it behind. The office sent me to Interface (best thing they could have done). The tooth is now gone, I am out of pain, and I paid almost $900 for the crown that is now sitting in a box ( with the diseased tooth). I called the office 3 weeks ago to see if Haruta would talk to me, and the office staff told me they would call me if he doesn't. I have yet to hear from anyone, and I now have a new dentist who has an excellent rating on this site. You can do with this information as you see fit.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2018

Accidentally drilled down healthy enamel & permanently damaged molar. He pressed too hard on my jaw & dislocated it. I'm shocked he is still in business.

flag | Submitted September 22, 2017

I've been a patient of Dr. Haruta for 28 years. He is based in the newly opened Elmdale healthcare center in St. Thomas. I can highly recommend Dr. Haruta for his up to date knowledge and gentle pain free dental care. He recently extracted two of my teeth and he did it quickly and pain free. His staff are always very friendly and helpful.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2017

I've always found Dr. Haruta to be professional and pleasant to all staff and my family as we've been going to him for over 20 years. His staff is very good at fitting us in if we have an urgent issue.

flag | Submitted December 22, 2016

I have been a patient of this office for many years. I see how he treats his employees, it is not nice. He makes you wait so long for a check up. He is more concerned about himself than his patients.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2016

I had a root canal on my front tooth several years ago with Dr. Haruta. When I move away to school and sought new denistry, my new dentist saw this filling and told me to never go back. This filling was so rough and poorly done that when wiping my gym line with gauze, it got caught on the filling. Dr. Haruta has never been gentle, or friendly, always rude and condescending.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2016

While Dr. Haruta might be knowledgable, he is not a good dentist. He never told me the entire cost of work, leaving me with a large bill. He also told me that my pain was all imagined, that I should have had enough pain meds. If you're at all sensitive to pain, avoid him.

flag | Submitted September 29, 2015

I don't know why people are saying he is out for the money it's not true at all. Dr Haruta has helped me so much working in my teeth. He has been so helpful. He even offers to meet me at the office on his days off if I can't make it to St homes. He even came in on a Saturday to fix a appliance I had in my mouth. He is constantly working with me around me schedule. He answers any if my questions, doesn't rush me. Very knowledgeable. Only thing I didn't like was one receptionist, but I haven't seen here there in a while. She was rude

flag | Submitted February 18, 2015

In my opinion, he is Dr. Painless. Excellent staff.

flag | Submitted December 17, 2014