Ratings for Dr. John Copen

I have been seeing Dr. Copen for almost a year. The meetings were precipitated by episodes of delirium brought on by severe food poisoning. I was out of the country and had to be transported back to Canada. In reading some of the comments below I find them somewhat disingenuous in the absence of a full appreciation that the practice of psychiatry is an art not a science. Most other forms of medical practice are a science that adhere to prescribed courses of therapy. Psychiatry requires the forethought to know when to push a patient into areas of discomfort to see a gain a little further down the road. Some may characterize this as being rude or manipulative - I prefer to experience such actions as part of the therapy. I am very pleased with my progress under Dr. Copen's care. The only way he could improve thing's from my perspective is to change the two couches in the waiting room . Too Difficult to get out of.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2018

Reading the comments are disconcerting. I don't have an addiction so I can't relate to that part. I find Dr. Copin helpful with adhd. Before seeing him I was told all sorts of nonsense regarding my mental health. I suspected I had adhd but it was usually described as a male problem. Dr. Copin seems well versed in the behaviours and challenges with this condition. He's worked around some of the unpleasant side affects of the meds by changing or modifying prescriptions. He's routinely late(most doctors are) but I'm usually willing to wait. He's the first mental health practitioner who got it right and that's worth the wait for me. He does make errors wirh the prescription it seems(like repeats) at times so ive had to fix it. Overall i find him much better than some of his colleagues and would recommend him at least for adhd.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2017

Manipulative, rude, sexist--last appt w/ him, he commented on how he felt like spanking me because I was so bad (I was deep in a drug addiction at the time). In the beginning it seemed like he was caring but as time went on I realized how manipulative he was. I opened up to him about a lot of sensitive stuff, like how I was an escort, and I felt like he used that to justify his creepiness towards me.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2017

Dr. Copen is the best. He very literally saved me. His diagnoses was spot on. His treatment follow up is excellent. He is kind. Intelligent. And has a no bull s#%t approach which works well for me. If you want serious help and are willing to be honest with yourself and do the work you are guaranteed to love him as much as I do. If you arent serious about helping yourself he may not be the one for you. He's nobody's fool and can read people like a book. Sometimes he runs late so bring a book and be prepared to wait sometimes. But its well worth the wait to be able to see him. Best doctor I've ever had

flag | Submitted November 24, 2017

I spent the last 2 1/2 years under Dr Copen.s care. He made me feel safe and validated my feelings. He guided me through a very difficult time and I truly am very grateful. He is very kind and empathetic yet maintains enough distance to allow you to stand on your two feet. We have just ended our relationship as he and I felt I could and needed to manage on my own. I feel very confident going forward and thank him very much for the guidance.

flag | Submitted November 18, 2017

He comes off as rude, demeaning and unpleasant. Would prefer to not cross paths again.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2017

This doctor's ego is outrageous. He is extremely demeaning. One of the most unprofessional doctors out there. Avoid him at all cost!

flag | Submitted July 21, 2017

Absolutely one of the worst and most unprofessional psychiatrists out there.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2017

I went to this person on more than 4 appointments in order to figure out what "psychiatrists" are able to provide with approx. $400 / hr in tax payer billable hours - TERRIBLE, IGNORANT, PATHETIC is what I can gather from my experience in Victoria. BE VERY careful- these so called "docs" are in "bed" with the Drug industry to create SALES from "Consumers" - however, this doesn't apply to everyone.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2017

Did not find this physician to be very knowledgeable/ helpful

flag | Submitted May 12, 2017