You may also like

Ratings for Dr. John Copen

I have seen Dr Copen for almost 5 months. I have seen several therapists and I believe my sense of judgement is pretty good. All my appointments except for 1 have been on time and I appreciate that I can see him on the evening and theu telehealth online. He recommended a book and we have been going thru it together but I have to put in effort as well in that I am forthright in what I am going thru and am able to explain myself. This has helped him to help me. He said a couple of inappropriate things but it was more to make me laugh. At each appointment he asks how I feel how things are going and if I feel he is the right fit. We are all different and not everyone can get along and for those hat have had bad experiences....it's unfortunate. I think he is genuinely a humble man who is here to help societies mental illness patients.

flag | Submitted March 2, 2016

I've been seeing him for just over a year. I would agree with many of the comments here. He is arrogant and spends most of the appointment telling me how he is an expert in everything and about all his experience. I find it interesting he is an "addictions expert" but knows nothing of the treatment options available in the community. He oscillates between being irritated by me and then trying inappropriately trying to buddies (i.e asked if he could come to an event I was participating in). Argumentative with me about side effects I was experiencing due to the meds I was prescribed even though 4 separate web sites confirmed the side effects were common, he actually pulled up a research paper online and made me read it out loud to prove to me he was right, rather than discussing the side effects with me. Uses inappropriate language, belittles other forms of treatment (psychologist counselling, meditating) and generally uses the time together poorly. Talks down to me as if i know nothing ( I have two degrees and a professional designation). He reports to my insurance company are constantly late putting my insurance claim payments in jeopardy and his reports are always filled with errors and spelling mistakes. The most unprofessional Dr. I've ever encountered period. Only stayed with him because I needed his reports for me insurance company. Absolutely no help at all other than a signature. Always an hour behind time... although I will say the telehealth appointments he was punctual within 5 mins

flag | Submitted February 15, 2016

You people that have had a bad experience with him, sorry to hear that. My experience has been excellent. When I first went to see Dr. Copen it took him about 45 minutes to figure out what was wrong; however, I was good at communicating what was wrong. I had been to see another Psychiatrist that told me to go home and meditate and I had a serious psychiatric issue that was not looked at and I had been dealing with, for a couple years. I thought I was having panic attacks and it got to the point where I was not leaving my house because I was so scared. I was not having panic attacks I was having serious audio and visual haullcinations. and Dr. Copen was quick to recognize it in approximately 45 minutes. I went through two years of terror that was fixed that fast. No hospitalization As for him being a benzo pusher I find that hard too believe considering I came off them under his care. Once I was on my way to being mentally healthy there was no need to continually see him. Not quite ready to cut the apron strings yet as I'm just getting back on my feet and in a couple months If I have a problem I'll call. People you have to start taking your own health care seriously and be pro active and do your own research he's not a babysitter. Mary-Ann Pickup

flag | Submitted February 7, 2016

Unfortunately, my experience is almost exactly the same as the comment below (written on Jan 23rd, 2016). Things started off great and I trusted him, but after about 6 months I started doubting his sincerity about actually wanting to help me progress with my healing process. He kept convincing me that my meds needed to be increased (they were useful for about 4 months, after that they actually didn't end up helping me at all). He talked many, many times about his experience working with hardcore drug addicts in the downtown Vancouver east side but he was completely unhelpful when I expressed my concern and wish to start lowering my meds, he said "Well, stop taking it then" or "Just take it when you need it". That approach doesn't work when your brain & body has a dependency on a drug! Quitting a drug cold turkey is a very, very bad idea and he gave absolutely no guidance or advice. Totally inappropriate considering his work in addictions. I asked several times if the drugs I was on would cause my body to have a dependency on them and he assured me that no they do not cause dependency/addiction and are easy to wean off of, NOT TRUE. I am only now learning that thousands of others are having to wean off of the same drugs that I was put on (check out benzobuddies.org, this forum has 21,000 members who have gone or are currently going through benzodiazapine tapering schedules). I wish I had done my own research before I started taking these drugs. Anyone taking a benzodiazapine or gabapentin please learn from my mistake and educate yourself before taking these drugs. I wondered if he was actually trying to set me up for failure so that I would go into withdrawal and he could convince me that I needed to stay on the drugs and continue the appointments with him. Now that I am weaning myself off of the drugs I feel much better and my head is so much clearer, although at this rate it will take me a very long time since I ended up on such high doses. I have to agree with the others below that no, he does not do paperwork, just takes notes on his laptop which of course nobody has access to, not even any of his staff, and then he can't remember what we worked on or talked about even though the notes should be there. I needed paperwork and he refused to provide it to me because everything is on his computer. He is consistently around an hour late for his appointments, whether in person or via Telehealth. Telehealth appts are a nice idea but every time I was stuck watching & refreshing my email inbox waiting for him to send me the email invitation to the online appointment. One time I waited for an hour and then missed his email by 2 minutes and when I emailed him back it was clear that he didn't want to keep the appointment even though he had time to email back and forth with me several times???? Also, when he was late for an appointment, my appointment ended up being shortened with him. If he was 40 minutes late, then I only got 20 mins with him. He kept stacks of other patient's files on his office couch and pointed them out at every opportunity as his excuse for being over an hour late for my appointment or not having paperwork available or phone calls done, etc. It ended when I caught him in a bold faced lie and he told me I wasn't remembering properly and basically accused me of lying. His tone often felt patronizing and belittling but I put up with it for way too long. His behaviour made me feel that my intuition & gut feelings were silly. I wish I had trusted myself more than I had trusted him. LESSON LEARNED! Future patients, please be diligent and do your own research.

flag | Submitted February 2, 2016

It is funny how new clients have great reviews - THAT IS HOW HE SUCKS YOU IN - I have been with Dr. Copen for about a year and have accomplished nothing. Last week he accused me of lying!!!! I have the proof that I was not. When I was first referred to Dr. Copen he was just opening his private practice and he was caring empathetic and told me to get this book and we would work on it together.I thought I had hit the jackpot. He was not at all like all the other psychiatrists who just push drugs and discuss nothing personal. But as he took on more clients he lost sight of what he was at the beginning. I did my homework, but he has never reviewed it with me to make sure I am doing it right. Please, do yourself a favor and DO NOT SEE THIS PSYCHIATRIST. It is right - all he does is type on his computer and does not remember anything correctly and then accuses his patients - I AM NOT A LIAR! I cannot give t his psychiatrist one star. If you want impersonal service this is the guy for you. BIG TALK NO ACTION. For those of you who have not realized this because you are a new patient - give it some time and you will find out that you are just a number/prescription! and you will accomplish nothing!

flag | Submitted January 23, 2016

Inappropriate is a good way to describe him, he likes to ask questions out of the blue like have you ever molested your family before? How unprofessional can this lazy clown get? Someone please fire the arrogant wana be Dr. so sick patients can receive proper health care. HUGE waste of time don't see him if you want a decent Dr.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2015

Has no children , so,, has no business treating children. I am ashamed of him

flag | Submitted May 23, 2015

I just want to say I am so totally impressed with dr. Copen. He is compassionate, kind, he has never rushed me, always answered my questions and genuinely cares about how I am feeling and not only listens to me but also HEARS what I am saying. I've only been seeing him for a month and already he has made substantial changes for the better with the treatment of both my severe ADHD and social anxiety disorder. I have complete confidence in him and am so greatful to be his patient.

flag | Submitted April 20, 2015

Reading other people's reviews left me quite surprised. In regard to his lack of empathy and constant tardiness, I would 100% have to disagree. I have seen Dr. copen 2 times, and to say that my life has gotten better would be an understatement. There are certain aspects of my life that most people - including other professionals - have looked down on me for, which resulted in a detrimental amount of criticism, and having my basic rights ignored/violated. Dr. Copen gives me uttermost respect, listens to me; plus he hasn't been late from what I've seen. He tells it as it is and doesn't sugarcoat things. He has a sense of humor, which is really important for me, because it makes me feel more at ease and I could really use some laughter in my life. He is a go-getter, and I feel like he actually cares (not like some professionals out there, who are just in it for the paycheck). He is the best Psychiatrist - scratch that; the best Medical/Mental Health Professional - I've ever had. I would reccomend him to anyone and everyone. However, if you are pompous/stuck-up/don't enjoy humor, you're better off going to someone else.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2015

Very poor regard for women, both staff and patients, thinks he is amusing and likes to hear himself talk, poor diagnostic skills, late but makes excuses, comments that verge on inappropriate, unprofessional manner and a very poor listener.

Submitted January 1, 2015

Dr. John Copen's Credentials

Please call the Doctor's office to find out if your insurance plan is accepted.

Updates

• A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "I have seen Dr Copen for almost 5 months. I have seen several therapists and I believe my sense of judgement is pretty good. All my appointments except for 1 ha..."

March 2, 2016
  • A new 2.2-star rating has been posted. "I've been seeing him for just over a year. I would agree with many of the comments here. He is arrogant and spends most of the appointment telling me how he is ..."

February 15, 2016
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "You people that have had a bad experience with him, sorry to hear that. My experience has been excellent. When I first went to see Dr. Copen it took him about..."

February 7, 2016
  • A new 1.2-star rating has been posted. "Unfortunately, my experience is almost exactly the same as the comment below (written on Jan 23rd, 2016). Things started off great and I trusted him, but after ..."

February 2, 2016
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "It is funny how new clients have great reviews - THAT IS HOW HE SUCKS YOU IN - I have been with Dr. Copen for about a year and have accomplished nothing. Last w..."

January 23, 2016
  • A new 1.5-star rating has been posted. "Inappropriate is a good way to describe him, he likes to ask questions out of the blue like have you ever molested your family before? How unprofessional can th..."

June 8, 2015
  • A new 1.5-star rating has been posted. "Has no children , so,, has no business treating children. I am ashamed of him "

May 23, 2015
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "I just want to say I am so totally impressed with dr. Copen. He is compassionate, kind, he has never rushed me, always answered my questions and genuinely cares..."

April 20, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Reading other people's reviews left me quite surprised. In regard to his lack of empathy and constant tardiness, I would 100% have to disagree. I have seen Dr. ..."

March 23, 2015
  • A new 1.5-star rating has been posted. "Very poor regard for women, both staff and patients, thinks he is amusing and likes to hear himself talk, poor diagnostic skills, late but makes excuses, commen..."

January 1, 2015
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "I'm a new patient of Dr. Copen's and have seen him 3 times. He's ranged from being about 10 to 30 minutes behind, which is perfectly acceptable in my experience..."

December 11, 2014