You may also like

Ratings for Dr. John Copen

You people that have had a bad experience with him, sorry to hear that. My experience has been excellent. When I first went to see Dr. Copen it took him about 45 minutes to figure out what was wrong; however, I was good at communicating what was wrong. I had been to see another Psychiatrist that told me to go home and meditate and I had a serious psychiatric issue that was not looked at and I had been dealing with, for a couple years. I thought I was having panic attacks and it got to the point where I was not leaving my house because I was so scared. I was not having panic attacks I was having serious audio and visual haullcinations. and Dr. Copen was quick to recognize it in approximately 45 minutes. I went through two years of terror that was fixed that fast. No hospitalization As for him being a benzo pusher I find that hard too believe considering I came off them under his care. Once I was on my way to being mentally healthy there was no need to continually see him. Not quite ready to cut the apron strings yet as I'm just getting back on my feet and in a couple months If I have a problem I'll call. People you have to start taking your own health care seriously and be pro active and do your own research he's not a babysitter. Mary-Ann Pickup

flag | Submitted February 7, 2016

Unfortunately, my experience is almost exactly the same as the comment below (written on Jan 23rd, 2016). Things started off great and I trusted him, but after about 6 months I started doubting his sincerity about actually wanting to help me progress with my healing process. He kept convincing me that my meds needed to be increased (they were useful for about 4 months, after that they actually didn't end up helping me at all). He talked many, many times about his experience working with hardcore drug addicts in the downtown Vancouver east side but he was completely unhelpful when I expressed my concern and wish to start lowering my meds, he said "Well, stop taking it then" or "Just take it when you need it". That approach doesn't work when your brain & body has a dependency on a drug! Quitting a drug cold turkey is a very, very bad idea and he gave absolutely no guidance or advice. Totally inappropriate considering his work in addictions. I asked several times if the drugs I was on would cause my body to have a dependency on them and he assured me that no they do not cause dependency/addiction and are easy to wean off of, NOT TRUE. I am only now learning that thousands of others are having to wean off of the same drugs that I was put on (check out benzobuddies.org, this forum has 21,000 members who have gone or are currently going through benzodiazapine tapering schedules). I wish I had done my own research before I started taking these drugs. Anyone taking a benzodiazapine or gabapentin please learn from my mistake and educate yourself before taking these drugs. I wondered if he was actually trying to set me up for failure so that I would go into withdrawal and he could convince me that I needed to stay on the drugs and continue the appointments with him. Now that I am weaning myself off of the drugs I feel much better and my head is so much clearer, although at this rate it will take me a very long time since I ended up on such high doses. I have to agree with the others below that no, he does not do paperwork, just takes notes on his laptop which of course nobody has access to, not even any of his staff, and then he can't remember what we worked on or talked about even though the notes should be there. I needed paperwork and he refused to provide it to me because everything is on his computer. He is consistently around an hour late for his appointments, whether in person or via Telehealth. Telehealth appts are a nice idea but every time I was stuck watching & refreshing my email inbox waiting for him to send me the email invitation to the online appointment. One time I waited for an hour and then missed his email by 2 minutes and when I emailed him back it was clear that he didn't want to keep the appointment even though he had time to email back and forth with me several times???? Also, when he was late for an appointment, my appointment ended up being shortened with him. If he was 40 minutes late, then I only got 20 mins with him. He kept stacks of other patient's files on his office couch and pointed them out at every opportunity as his excuse for being over an hour late for my appointment or not having paperwork available or phone calls done, etc. It ended when I caught him in a bold faced lie and he told me I wasn't remembering properly and basically accused me of lying. His tone often felt patronizing and belittling but I put up with it for way too long. His behaviour made me feel that my intuition & gut feelings were silly. I wish I had trusted myself more than I had trusted him. LESSON LEARNED! Future patients, please be diligent and do your own research.

flag | Submitted February 2, 2016

It is funny how new clients have great reviews - THAT IS HOW HE SUCKS YOU IN - I have been with Dr. Copen for about a year and have accomplished nothing. Last week he accused me of lying!!!! I have the proof that I was not. When I was first referred to Dr. Copen he was just opening his private practice and he was caring empathetic and told me to get this book and we would work on it together.I thought I had hit the jackpot. He was not at all like all the other psychiatrists who just push drugs and discuss nothing personal. But as he took on more clients he lost sight of what he was at the beginning. I did my homework, but he has never reviewed it with me to make sure I am doing it right. Please, do yourself a favor and DO NOT SEE THIS PSYCHIATRIST. It is right - all he does is type on his computer and does not remember anything correctly and then accuses his patients - I AM NOT A LIAR! I cannot give t his psychiatrist one star. If you want impersonal service this is the guy for you. BIG TALK NO ACTION. For those of you who have not realized this because you are a new patient - give it some time and you will find out that you are just a number/prescription! and you will accomplish nothing!

flag | Submitted January 23, 2016

Inappropriate is a good way to describe him, he likes to ask questions out of the blue like have you ever molested your family before? How unprofessional can this lazy clown get? Someone please fire the arrogant wana be Dr. so sick patients can receive proper health care. HUGE waste of time don't see him if you want a decent Dr.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2015

Has no children , so,, has no business treating children. I am ashamed of him

flag | Submitted May 23, 2015

I just want to say I am so totally impressed with dr. Copen. He is compassionate, kind, he has never rushed me, always answered my questions and genuinely cares about how I am feeling and not only listens to me but also HEARS what I am saying. I've only been seeing him for a month and already he has made substantial changes for the better with the treatment of both my severe ADHD and social anxiety disorder. I have complete confidence in him and am so greatful to be his patient.

flag | Submitted April 20, 2015

Reading other people's reviews left me quite surprised. In regard to his lack of empathy and constant tardiness, I would 100% have to disagree. I have seen Dr. copen 2 times, and to say that my life has gotten better would be an understatement. There are certain aspects of my life that most people - including other professionals - have looked down on me for, which resulted in a detrimental amount of criticism, and having my basic rights ignored/violated. Dr. Copen gives me uttermost respect, listens to me; plus he hasn't been late from what I've seen. He tells it as it is and doesn't sugarcoat things. He has a sense of humor, which is really important for me, because it makes me feel more at ease and I could really use some laughter in my life. He is a go-getter, and I feel like he actually cares (not like some professionals out there, who are just in it for the paycheck). He is the best Psychiatrist - scratch that; the best Medical/Mental Health Professional - I've ever had. I would reccomend him to anyone and everyone. However, if you are pompous/stuck-up/don't enjoy humor, you're better off going to someone else.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2015

Very poor regard for women, both staff and patients, thinks he is amusing and likes to hear himself talk, poor diagnostic skills, late but makes excuses, comments that verge on inappropriate, unprofessional manner and a very poor listener.

Submitted January 1, 2015

I'm a new patient of Dr. Copen's and have seen him 3 times. He's ranged from being about 10 to 30 minutes behind, which is perfectly acceptable in my experience for a specialist. He does not rush appointments, and I feel heard and helped after each visit. I've visited him at 3 of the offices he practices in, and have found the support staff to be very friendly. In my experience so far, he ensures he hears and understands what I say--he takes notes on his computer and reflects back what I've said and how he's interpreted it to make sure it's correct and I agree. He is direct and confident, which I appreciate in someone helping with my health and well-being. Contrary to other reviews I'ver read here, he has not pushed medication on me and seems to have a very balanced approach toward mental health by using pharmaceuticals and talk therapy. I appreciate his approach and find him to be both knowledgable and compassionate. I only stumbled on this site while looking for his phone number. I felt compelled to leave a review for those patients who might read this before meeting him. My advice would be to go into your appointment with and open mind and form your own opinion.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2014

It is probably not the support staff's fault but he is consistently late, if he actually decides to show up. He will give patient and other Mds incorrect information based on his initial impression and before test results and opinions of a more qualified Md. have been received. To say he is unprofessional is one of the more glaring understatements that can be gleaned from comments. In a case I am close to, a misdiagnoses was passed on before final tests proved something entirely different. This may have something to do with his "god complex". This is dangerous and it can be concurred by others in his speciality. Not only does he pass on incorrect and damaging information on client/patient but he can be very inappropriate with comments and actions.

flag | Submitted April 6, 2013

Dr. John Copen's Credentials

Please call the Doctor's office to find out if your insurance plan is accepted.

Updates

• A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "You people that have had a bad experience with him, sorry to hear that. My experience has been excellent. When I first went to see Dr. Copen it took him about..."

February 7, 2016
  • A new 1.2-star rating has been posted. "Unfortunately, my experience is almost exactly the same as the comment below (written on Jan 23rd, 2016). Things started off great and I trusted him, but after ..."

February 2, 2016
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "It is funny how new clients have great reviews - THAT IS HOW HE SUCKS YOU IN - I have been with Dr. Copen for about a year and have accomplished nothing. Last w..."

January 23, 2016
  • A new 1.5-star rating has been posted. "Inappropriate is a good way to describe him, he likes to ask questions out of the blue like have you ever molested your family before? How unprofessional can th..."

June 8, 2015
  • A new 1.5-star rating has been posted. "Has no children , so,, has no business treating children. I am ashamed of him "

May 23, 2015
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "I just want to say I am so totally impressed with dr. Copen. He is compassionate, kind, he has never rushed me, always answered my questions and genuinely cares..."

April 20, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Reading other people's reviews left me quite surprised. In regard to his lack of empathy and constant tardiness, I would 100% have to disagree. I have seen Dr. ..."

March 23, 2015
  • A new 1.5-star rating has been posted. "Very poor regard for women, both staff and patients, thinks he is amusing and likes to hear himself talk, poor diagnostic skills, late but makes excuses, commen..."

January 1, 2015
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "I'm a new patient of Dr. Copen's and have seen him 3 times. He's ranged from being about 10 to 30 minutes behind, which is perfectly acceptable in my experience..."

December 11, 2014