Ratings for Dr. Michael S. Downey

Very pleased with my bunion and hammertoe surgery.

flag | Submitted February 14, 2016

I saw Dr. Downey after seeing several other foot and ankle specialists. He spent the requisite amount of time with me to figure out my current problem and has given me a clear treatment path. Wonderful to find such a caring, concerned, and competent physician and surgeon!

flag | Submitted February 13, 2016

Just a wonderful doctor. He is known around the country as the best, and trains other doctors around the country to make them better surgeons. I was referred to him by my own local podiatrist, who told me that if he or anyone else in his family ever needed foot or ankle surgery, he would send them to no one else but Dr. Downey,

flag | Submitted December 21, 2015

Helped me with my ankle pain when no one else could or would. I had dislocating peroneal tendons on the outside of my ankle. It did require surgery, but it was worth it. The pain and dislocations are gone now!

flag | Submitted June 15, 2015

My problem started 1 year ago today. I sprained my ankle, while on vacation, then sprained it again 2 weeks later. My medical dr. Sent me to get a MRI , and I did and it showed I had a really bad sprain I saw a orthopedics dr. The day after my MRI, and was put in the "removable boot" for almost 6 months..I didn't really think about it until my ankle became worse. I went to the same orthopedic dr. And they said it was healing okay. But, it wasn't I was in tremendous pain.So, I left that group who by the way I NEVER saw a Dr. There I was always different, pa's. So NO ONE was helping me.because, I never saw the same pa.i went back to my medical dr. Who is Awesome, and HE said let's get another MRI, which showed a "A Talus Fracture. So, I saw 3 other orthopedic dr.'s But NONE of them were surgeons we found out after a few visits with EACH one...they would say try the boot again, and then I was getting really bad ankle pain, and MY Dr. Ordered another MRI which was done on February 1st of this year, and it showed "The Talus Fracture" was still there and now I had developed "Avascular Necrosis " in my ankle.the pain has been unbearable! and I have 3 kids that I need to take care of... So, this nightmare was getting worse.Then a friend mentioned to get a appointment with Dr. Downey. I was so excited and hopeful that I was finally going to a Orthopedic Dr. My visit didn't go as well as I had planned. He told me I needed to wear "the Boot " or get a "Cast put on it" for 6 weeks,I picked the cast. But, I need to call their office tomorrow.because, the cast is really,really loose. I'm just beyond frustrated now, and he said surgery wasn't a option at this point. But, my Dr . Wrote "Needs evaluation for surgery" this has gone on way to long !! So, I felt he didn't really listen to me, and I took a folder I've kept with ALL my MRI's, names of ALL dr.'s I've seen.so, I made sure to dot my eyes and cross my t's.. Just feeling extremely helpless and not sure what to do now..any suggestions would be extremely helpful. Sorry this post is so long, I just needed to tell my story just in case their was anyone out there experiencing the same thing.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2015

I had surgery with Dr. Rankin at rothman, he destroyed my foot. I walked in and after my surgery I could not walk again. Dr Downey was the only doctor that said he could fix my foot" He fixed it 100%. I love him and his staff. The woman in the office are so nice.Thank you Dr.Downey for giving me my life back.. He's truly the Best doctor.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2015

The best in Philadelphia! Everyone recommends him, and he is THAT good!

flag | Submitted December 26, 2014

I was in constant pain before going to see Dr. Downey. I had 6 previous foot surgeries performed by other doctors and both my feet were a mess. Truly, before someone told me about Dr. Downey, I had given up hope of walking or exercising without pain. He spent almost a hour with me evaluating my foot, learning about my past and current problems, and looking at my x-rays and MRI. He honestly told me that surgery may or may not help, but I decided to go forward with it. The first foot turned out so well, I did the second foot. Now, I am back to running, hiking, and walking - I could not do ANY of this before Dr. Downey fixed my feet. Are the feet perfect...no...are they much better...YES! I hope my feedback will help others find this wonderful doctor! He is a godsend!

flag | Submitted November 1, 2014

Dr. Downey is everything you would want in a physician - competent, kind, and caring. He treats you like a family member. He is a top rated surgeon, and the top foot and ankle surgeon at the University of Pennsylvania. He fixed both my feet after previous failed foot surgeries. I could not walk or wear anything but Frankenstein shoes. Now I'm running again and wearing pumps. I am in the medical profession, and I see and know a lot of doctors and surgeons. Dr. Downey is amongst the best. If you need foot or ankle surgery, go see him. You will not regret it!

flag | Submitted September 7, 2014

My experience with Dr. Downey has not been good. I went in to have one hammer toe repaired 10 months ago. As of today, I am unable to walk without pain. The pain is much worse now than before he performed the surgery. I can no longer do all the things I once loved. There are no more long walks, or hikes. His wait time is off-the-charts! Expect to wait anywhere from 2 to 4 hours before he can see you. Maybe he was good at one time but I highly recommend doing your research and go somewhere else.

Submitted August 12, 2014

Dr. Michael S. Downey's Credentials

• Pennsylvania College Of Podiatric Medicine (Grad. 1983)