Ratings for Dr. Steven Spencer

He plays games: Not only rude, but bullying to the patient - and sweet and smooth-speaking as can be when their family is with them. He did this with my sister (she said he was a super @$$ to her in psych ward); he then had a 180 degree personality flip when my mum joined me to speak with him. I saw him on one occasion and he was an @$$ about my straightforward sleep problem (I didn't want to take Zoloft because he thought insomnia = depressive symptom and I told him it was not). I have heard many stories from both friends and mere acquaintances about his bullying. Disgusting. He literally walks like he has a huge stick up his @$$.

flag | Submitted December 19, 2016

Rude, arrogant and useless. He needs psychiatric help.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2016

I find him arrogant and irresponsible. Don't know what he's doing in his profession.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2016

We are so blessed to have Dr. Spencer in our area.

flag | Submitted December 16, 2015

I have nothing good to say about Dr. Spencer. The comments below about his personality being cold and arrogant are very accurate. I would not ever see Dr. Spencer again.

flag | Submitted September 25, 2014

Dr. Spencer was super nice and knows a lot about psychiatric illness and brain science. I found him to be helpful, funny, personable, and a real person who can relate, not one of those psychiatrists with airs of superiority. He did not push meds on me at all, but gave me a scrip in case I wanted to try one after doing my research and thinking about it. I decided to try them and they worked amazingly! Thanks.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2014

I have been a patient of Dr. Spencers for almost a year now and he has helped me immensely. It has been a roller coaster of goods and bads, and he has helped and adjusted the proper things that needed to be. He gives you that facts on what can happen with choices and lets you decide. Not taking away any control but helping you with decisions. He is knowledgeable in many different areas and willing to look into things for you if you ask. He is to the point and knows of other methods then just the world of group counselling and medications. It was a breath of fresh air to have a Dr. Listen and direct me to the right people who can help me. We have established an awesome supportive team over the past year and it is to be credited to my success.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2014

Dr. Spencer is my least-favourite doctor/psychiatrist I have been to. I just didn't take well to his seeming arrogance, his you're-the-patient-and-I-tell-you-what-to-do uncompromising-ness. He didn't care that I didn't want to take the meds he wanted me to take, wouldn't work out something we both thought might work. It seems perhaps he is getting backed by drug companies. He never informed me what he thought was wrong (which felt degrading) and prescribed me Seroquel both times I saw him, despite different issues being presented and not remembering having seen me a year before. BEWARE if he tells you to STOP outright taking a med. I had the wisdom to wean down SLOWLY, but he would have sent me into a terrible withdrawal had I listened to him and cut venlafaxine cold-turkey. He told me I must be depressed if I wasn't sleeping - like an idiot - because it turns out I have bipolar. Very narrow-minded. Disclaimer: Maybe he works slowly & carefully and I didn't give him enough of a chance.

flag | Submitted November 15, 2012

flag | Submitted November 3, 2012

I have found Dr. Spencer helpful and always interested in me as a person not just my symptoms.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2010