Ratings for Dr. Craig J. Vine

I had, I now know, a rather clear case of obsessive-compulsive disorder, the kind in which compulsions are thoughts rather than actions. Sometimes "pure O OCD" can focus around fears of psychosis, as mine did, and, as a result of constant obsessing about it (scrutinizing thoughts for psychotic content; thinking about delusions that could arise; etc.), a sufferer can actually induce quasi-psychotic phenomenon. That's what happened with me. A good clinician can recognize the difference between this variant of OCD and depression with psychotic features, what he stupidly diagnosed me with: the difference is that people with pure O OCD whose focus is psychosis are constantly afraid they are psychotic and will constantly check to see if they are psychotic and will describe to you in minute detail their thought processes so you can help them check if they are psychotic. In contrast, psychosis carries little to no insight at all—the person experiencing psychosis often doesn't understand that their delusions or hallucinations aren't real. And actually, it doesn't even take a good clinician to recognize the difference. You just need to hear that the main theme of the client's narrative is anxiety and fear. That, and a copy of the DSM (DSM-IV, back then), should be enough for anyone with a modicum of training. Thankfully, I left that intake shaken and appalled—Vine was abrupt, distracted, and brutally cold—and so, though I still believed I may be psychotic, I wasn't about to trust what that guy said. Something in me fought back, refused to take the anti-psychotics he prescribed, and sought another opinion. Eventually, I was correctly diagnosed and treated with CBT psychotherapy and anti-anxiety medications. My life was restored. I could live without anxiety. I could think clearly again and I could laugh exuberantly again. Had I been under Vine's care, I'd have been on medicines far too powerful for what I had and likely to ruin any quality of life that I had remaining. Sure, I'd have stopped having obsessional thoughts. But only because I'd have been drugged to a stupor.

flag | Submitted February 19, 2018

I was referred by my psychiatrist for ECT to treat my bipolar. I was stuck in a horrible bout of depression. Patrick didn't return my calls and after submitting all requested paperwork required in order to schedule my first ECT session, I had to follow up multiple times to get a response. I spent very little time with Dr Vine but from the first moment I met him, I felt uncomfortable. After a few ECT sessions, I woke up in the middle of the procedure and hyperventilated. This was months ago and the experience still haunts me. I was terrified and I felt that nobody was there to help me recover from the fear and anxiety that trauma caused me. I know that ECT works for some and maybe it would've worked for me if I'd had established trust and history with my Care team. I will never go back.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2017

Best Psychiatrist I have ever worked wit. Easy to talk to.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2017

No help, no information, not listening, dismisses issues and questions. Seems like just a pill pusher

flag | Submitted February 2, 2017

Dr Vine is about as bad as psychiatrists come. For most of my initial consult, at least half an hour, if not more, was spent talking to his triage nurse, who merely asked me questions and took down my history. I thought the point of a longer initial intake appointment was for the psychiatrist to get to know the patient better. However, I later realized this may have been a modification of usual office procedure in an effort to work around Dr. Vine's total inability to converse or make the patient feel comfortable. I spent maybe 10 minutes tops with Dr. Vine, and thankfully it wasn't longer. He has the warmth of a cold wet rag and the arrogance of Queen Elizabeth. At the conclusion of my office visit, which I didn't know had concluded, he just all of a sudden got up and left the room, without even saying a word. It's no wonder that on the PsychRecoveryInc website, it states his past work history includes having been with the Minnesota Prison System. If anyone needs a psychiatrist, it's him! He cannot relate to people at all. Good luck to anyone who goes to Dr. Vine for help because you are not going to get much from him!!!!

flag | Submitted June 17, 2015

BEWARE!!!!!! Dr Craig Vine is the most incompetent Psychiatrist we have ever come across! After being informed of my sons 11yr history of severe amphetamine abuse by myself & Hazelden Betty Ford, Dr Vine full well knowing also that my son was just released from Hazelden's inpatient program & living in a $3000 a month rehabilitation program he chose to STILL prescribe my son dextroamphetamine! Anyone knows this is an abusive dangerous drug for addicts which has landed my son in ICU & the psych ward many times because he becomes so paranoid & psychotic. Our insurance denied the prescription 7 times & even given all of my sons history this Dr did not stop & made sure insurance finally approved it. The nurse told me the Dr said he would monitor my son? Really?! He didn't even have another appt for my son on the books & the Dr was out of the country when I called the first time! Ridiculous anyway-There is NO monitoring an amphetamine addict when he's taking amphetamine! Even when the drug is taken as prescribed the Dr was informed after all these yrs of abuse my son still becomes psychotic after its in his system for a short time. My son was then contacted that the prescription was finally approved & he picked it up & within 3 days was psychotic from it & hospitalized just like we warned would happen! A dr takes an oath to do no harm & you pray a Dr will help your loved one when they are sick & vulnerable & not hurt them further or make it easy for him to hurt himself further. Clearly this Dr does not care in the least for his patients because if he did he would never give a 25yr old young man fighting an amphetamine addiction, amphetamine! That's pure evil!

flag | Submitted June 16, 2015

Dr Vine prescribed dextroamphetamine to my son with full knowledge he is a meth addict immediately upon his finishing treatment at Hazelden. The doctors office then fought with our insurance company to get the prescription filled after it was denied repeatedly, even in light of knowledge they were prescribing speed to a serious drug addict. Egregiously irresponsible and and unprofessional. Unconscionable acts like this can and do result in medical malpractice litigation. Dangerous.

flag | Submitted June 16, 2015

Impersonal doesn't begin to explain it. Establishing a rapport with a client is important and something Dr. Vine doesn't seem concerned about. As other reviewers have revealed, his practice treats patients as units not people. If he was concerned about best practices he would know that sensitivity is essential to good client care. ie. don't push topics that are clearly triggering/damaging in the rushed 5 minute meetings spent with people (yes we are people) that you barely know.

flag | Submitted October 17, 2014

Dr. Vine is, overall, an excellent psychiatrist, though (as with anyone) he does have his shortcomings. He does indeed know a great deal about medications and when and how to use them, and he is nicely creative in his attempts to find a solution that will work for his individual patients. The nurse who works with him (Doreen) is, I believe, vital to his practice, and I'm grateful for her abilities and competence. However, I agree that the time a patient actually gets to spend with Dr. Vine is excessively limited--not long enough to adequately explain what is currently happening in your life--and he can occasionally come off as a little too cavalier with medications. Not all situations call for more medications, or higher doses of what one is already taking. I think Dr. Vine is a good physician, and a good person in general, but he may not be the right fit for every person. If you get referred to him, I say at least give him a chance.

flag | Submitted May 8, 2014

Thank you, Dr. Vine, for helping my mother, Harriet Strom, overcome severe depression for many years. With your help, she was able to have a good life. -Carla LeCuyer

flag | Submitted December 23, 2013

Dr. Craig J. Vine's Credentials

• University Of Iowa College Of Medicine (Grad. 1988)