Ratings for Dr. Janet Winikoff

I am completely bewildered by these negative reviews. Dr. Winikoff has been my endocrinologist for approximately 15 years and I am absolutely delighted with the quality of her care. In fact I cannot think of a physician who I would regard more favorably and I am very much a senior citizen. She explains everything clearly along with the logic of her diagnoses and recommendations. When a problem comes up whose solution or diagnosis is uncertain because of the limitations of medical science, she conveys the uncertainty clearly and honestly, never hiding behind the cloak of physician's omniscience.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2017

She told my daughter she probably has cancer before she had the biopsy instilling fear. She gave her no information on her possible diagnosis except that she probably has cancer. She then gave another patients diagnosis to my daughter and when my daughter questioned her she realized she was looking at another patients chart!

flag | Submitted September 27, 2015

She has minimal people skills. And, though she appears to be knowledgeable, her manner is arrogant.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2012

She's been my specialist doctor for the past few years monitoring my thyroid condition (post surgery for hyper thyroid) She is very straight forward and frank, which is one of the reasons i like her. When i ask novice questions, she always explains what is going on and why she chooses certain treatments. She's consistant with what she says and has good followup as well. There are many websites available now to rate doctors, and i was actually reseaching some doctors that i potentially visit, and thought it would be a good idea to refer to what people say about Dr. Winikoff whom i know rather well as a patient. I was surprised to see how different each opinions are. So in order to balance out, I decided to write here. Dr. Winikoff is a good doctor. Simple, good hearted person. If you don't like doctors who go straight to their work wit no chit chat, she might not be the right one for you. Professionally, i rate her as a good doctor. Office staff is super too. *i rarely give 5 to anyone.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2011

Dr Winokoff seems very disorganized and always confused. wait time is always . I am looking for a better Dr. now.

flag | Submitted April 23, 2011

If possible, do not see this doctor. I only went to see her because of my employment insurance, but could not take it any longer. She is unprofessional, lacks bedside manner, is not up to date with the latest medical information and is typically 45min-1hour late. Moreover, instead of trying to treat the symptoms, she was all too quick to recommend an unnessary invasive surgery without offering alternative options. It is clear where her priorities are and they are not with the patient.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2011

It took many weeks to get an appt. We had to wait close to one hour until she saw us. She is curt and somewhat arrogant, though she seems to know her stuff. I will give her one more chance before I look for someone else.

flag | Submitted August 26, 2010

Look for someone else. First of all, you can't get an appointment within 6-8 weeks of when you first call. Second, the wait time in the office is well over 30 min with no apology or explanation. She has no bedside manner, no attempt at trying to warm up with getting to know you, the usual chit chat, etc. She spent most of the 40 min appointment time with me trying to input some data into a computer for a follow up appointment. Then the office billed my insurer $420 for a "consultation" plus $20 for "medical services." I noticed the insurance company slapped back and disallowed what they perceived as an attempt at double billing. Office staff is unbelievably rude. The last straw was today - I had scheduled a follow up second appointment only to call the morning of and find out that she was on vacation for several weeks. No apologies, no trying to work me in as soon as she had returned. There is a lot more.... It was an easy decision to start looking for a doctor who actually wanted my business.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2010

Dr. Winikoff is a little hard to take, but once we understood each other we got along fine. My main complaint is her tardiness, but she does spend time with her patients, maybe too much time. Would go back to her, but I won't wait over 45 mins for her.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2010

She treated me for thyroid cancer (ordered surgery, thyroid support, radioactive iodine ablation, post ablation scan). She provided great/prompt service, great follow up. I really like her . . . because she is very careful with diagnosis, treatment and followup.

flag | Submitted December 22, 2008

Dr. Janet Winikoff's Credentials

• Loyola Univ Of Chicago Stritch Sch Of Med, Maywood Il 60153 (Grad. 1975)