Ratings for Dr. Howard Berger

My first pregnancy. I had a c section and overall had no complications. The surgery went smooth. It’s just St Micheal’s hospital’s nursing staff were literally unkind( don’t want to say cruel) unfortunately and made it so difficult for me during three day stay there.

flag | Submitted February 21, 2018

Dr. Berger - who was NOT MY DOCTOR - saved the lives of my twins at 18 weeks by interpreting the notes of another doctor, calling me out of the blue, performing an ultrasound, confirming the condition with the cardiologist, and sending me off to surgery at Mt. Sinai - all within 24 hours. This man is my hero, and I will be indebted to him the rest of my life. According to the two surgeons, my twins would have likely died within the next day or two without the surgery - if he hadn't been so eagle-eyed and proactive and caring and just an absolute hero.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2018

Dr.Berger is an absolutely incredible doctor. Not only is he kind hearted and has a great sense of humor, he is incredibly experienced and knowledgeable, trustworthy and puts your mind at ease if you are facing challenges. He cared for me during the pregnancy of both my boys (Dec 2013 and Nov 2017) and I am extremely grateful for him! Not once did he make me feel silly for asking lots of sometimes silly questions, and even though he wasn’t on call when I went into labour with my second (hoping for a VBAC) he happened to be in the hospital, heard that I was in labour and stayed back to help me deliver!! We were successful in the VBAC! He then popped around afterward on a few occasions to check on me. This is a doctor that cares immensely about his patients. If you luck out in getting him as your OB, you will be in the best of hands.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2018

Great human being and super experienced high risk doctor! My issue was short cervix and he fought tooth and nails to get our baby to 35 weeks without needing cerclage! I am happy I trusted him in the end, even though I gave him a lot of troubles around the 24 week mark! Gentle, kind, funny, caring and knowledgeble! He made the decision to induce at 35, as the water had broken! He came in at 6:30 am to make sure The baby and I were ok! We can’t thank you enough!

flag | Submitted December 2, 2017

I was at Dr. Berger's High Risk Clinic. First of all this clinic is very well organized, has a great team of doctors and technicians, with highly professional receptionists who will always answer your calls, free services and programs such as access to a dietician, social worker, and breastfeeding classes, and it is a beautifully designed space. The wait times were extremely long. Expect to be here for a minimum of 1.5-2 hours in total from the time you arrive. It's a very busy clinic, and once the doctor sees you it's for a very short time (about 5 minutes). Despite this, Dr. Berger is highly competent, knowledgeable, and will take necessary actions when required. You will feel cared for in this clinic and I appreciate that he always eased my pregnancy related concerns with fact-based explanations. I am very grateful that Dr. Berger took me on as a patient when I was in a very difficult place at the beginning of my pregnancy. Sometimes you feel like a number at this clinic because it is so busy, and you spend a short amount of time with the doctor, so if you prefer a doctor who can give you more time I would advise choosing another clinic.

flag | Submitted August 14, 2017

After an early miscarriage, I was fortunate to get Dr Berger as my OB for my subsequent pregnancy. He was very proactive, is very knowledgable and always takes the extra effort to make you feel comfortable and always has something to say to calm your nerves! When I was in the Triage for some spotting issues, Dr Berger himself came to see me, did an ultrasound himself and told me everything was OK. I am sad that Dr Berger couldn't deliver my son, but if I were to try again for a child, I am definitely going back to Dr Berger!

flag | Submitted June 18, 2017

I was referred do Dr Berger for high risk pregnancy because of my diabetes. He made me feel so happy and confident about my pregnancy. He listened to me and answered all my questions and concerns. He is very friendly, knowledgeable and professional. You can tell he loves his job - which he does exceptionally well. I was lucky to have him deliver my baby. He took such good care of us. By far one of the best doctors I have had the privilege to meet.

flag | Submitted March 31, 2017

I was told I was high risk in my 3rd pregnancy. I was suffering from excessive amniotic fluid (can't remember medical term). I was assigned to Dr Berger. At first things were OK because there was no real drama, but as my pregnancy continued I began to feel worse *not normal pregnancy worse*. Every time I spoke to Dr Berger about how I was feeling he shot me down. Eventually neither Dr B nor my husband was listening to me. They even ganged up on me at appointments. Everything was dismissed and came down to the idea that I had anxiety, fear and etc. The biggest issue with my pregnancy was that even as I progressed into the last few weeks baby was still forever breeched...he was never head down. On my last appointmet before my baby was born Dr Berger seemed busy and once again my concerns were unheard. ..I wanted Dr B to try to turn the baby around...that was a Wednesday. I was just going into my 38th week. On Saturday morning my water broke. I went to the hospital and all I remember is a nurse grabbing me putting me on the bed(?) and literally screaming like a crazy person. When I came to. My son had died after birth and they'd given me an emergency c-section. At 38 weeks and still breeched, he'd kicked through and the umbilical cord was outside. My son was strangled by his own umbilical cord. I don't blame Dr Berger per se; but I think being sent to a high risk Dr actually did more harm than good. I spoke about my concerns and feelings at each meeting and he was just too busy. And I wonder, why wouldn't a pregnant woman know that what she was feeling was more than just pregnancy fears? It was after all my 3rd pregnancy.

flag | Submitted February 18, 2017

We just had our 2nd baby delivered by Dr. Berger and his team. The way he manages his staff and patients is outstanding. Our son was a bit tired and some of the support staff considered manual help. (Suction). Dr. Berger came in, calmed everyone down including my wife and instilled confidence in his whole team. My son was born 15 min later naturally with no complications. Dr. Berger is a truly confident and experienced professional St. Mikes is lucky to have him.

flag | Submitted December 20, 2016

Dr. Berger is friendly and has great energy. Comes across as genuine. His nurse is more in to socializing with her friends than attending to patience. She even snapped at me once that i didn't go to the lab in time for my glucose testing saying that I needed to stay on top of things. Its my first pregnancy and therefore first glucose test, how can she expect the patient to "stay on top of things" when I'm not familiar with the process. I'm normally waiting 2 hrs to see him for a 2 min consultation. Unless I have any specific questions, he's not proactive in offering information.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2016