Ratings for Dr. Gary May

The very best. There is no better. The quintesential professional and the most skilled Doctor I have ever met.

flag | Submitted April 9, 2017

I have had many surgical procedures in my life due to a bad burn as a young boy. I would put Dr. May right at the top of all of the doctors that have operated on me. His bedside manner and respect for the patient is excellent. He takes the time to explain exactly what the procedure will entail. It certainly explains why he is at the top of his field!

flag | Submitted March 21, 2017

Experience is OK but time wasted is real problem.

flag | Submitted March 18, 2017

Dr. May was a real disappointment. Dr. May is very knowledgeable but for whatever reason did a very cursory job in my case and completely missed diagnosing me with what I told him at our very first meeting that I had. I had MUCH better assistance at another gastroenterology clinic with a doctor who actually listened to what I said, sent me for the right test, and lo and behold I was right. I'm not sure how I could have made the diagnosis easier for Dr. May. Very disappointing experience and his secretary is a very unpleasant person to deal with.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2017

Dr May is the top Gastroenterologist in all areas, knowledge, skill, and also approachable with an excellent bedside manner. I have been seeing him for 10 years and he has enabled me to avoid extensive invasive surgery. Truly awesome, I am blessed to have him as my gastro.

flag | Submitted June 23, 2016

I love how this is a rate MD site and peeps like to dis the secretaries. First off all, they are secretaries for the Dr. - not a receptionist - meaning they don't just sit there and look pretty. They actually work quite hard. The secretaries are NOT drs and I have seen many patients expect the secretaries to answer questions they aren't allowed to and then get upset and write nasty things about them. The other problem about these sites is that anybody can write anything they want, for example, you get mad and you want your "revenge"... you also get your friend who, by the way has never been in the office, write something nasty about the secretary. The secretary works for the dr. the secretary does what the dr. tells her/him. It is not up to the patient to becon or demand things from the secretary. For all you nasty pts who like to bully the secretary, I double dare you to act like that to the dr. By the way, Dr. May is great, and I think his secretary is too.

flag | Submitted May 13, 2016

May never gets to the surgery part. It goes like this: consult->promise of corrective surgery->tests such as MRI/CT->consult four months later. Then repeat. Gallbladder needs to be removed because of stones, but can’t be until Dr. May gets around to repairing the pancreas. Meanwhile, constant pain and weight loss. Health deteriorating quickly and will not be a surgical candidate due to all May’s delay tactics.

flag | Submitted April 8, 2016

I have been waiting for three months for a referral to be made to another department in St. Michaels Hospital. I have enquirer politely a few times about it. I don't want to get on the secretary's bad side. I see other in demand specialists at St. Michaels Hospital and have never encountered this kind of issue. In fact, I have found other departments to be very efficient,

flag | Submitted February 20, 2016

I agree about his secretary. I had an appt. for april 9, 2016 and I called to confirm she told me it was cancelled. I asked her why and she said because Dr. May was sending me to a surgeon for something else. I was booked for apr.9th to have a stent put in, she tells me she can't give me another appt because he is booked up, so now I have to live with pancreatits and nausea until I can get another appt.

flag | Submitted February 5, 2016

Dr. May is wonderful! Kind, patient and polite. But his secretary is the opposite! Agree with other comments. While waiting her personal phone calls were constant. On our first visit when we brought my husband's image disc for Dr. May to review she lost it. We only just gave it to her half hour before. She finally found it in another patients file! Then when waiting on a referral appointment I called the other dr to check if an appt was scheduled told me that we missed it a few weeks prior. Dr. May's secretary was to let us know but didn't. Was very rude on the phone claiming she left a message. We were home anxiously waiting for this call but no message was received. Since it was during the 2 week Christmas holiday everyone was home. Not efficient at all!

flag | Submitted January 21, 2016