Ratings for Dr. Gillian Brook Allen

I went in to discuss birth control after having a baby. I was worried that hormonal birth control would interfere with my breast milk, so I wanted to ask questions about the level of interference, and other methods that were available. Any time I started to ask a question, she interrupted me and said, "I.U.D." No "you may want to try an..." or "listen idiot, just get an..." just flat out "I.U.D." like she was some kind of robot. I was very offended and when I told her that I had concerns about an I.U.D. she told me not to be "silly" and referred me to a gynecologist, and in the description it actually said, "Client wants an I.U.D." The only reason I took the referral in the first place was to have someone else to talk to. She is TERRIBLE!!! I've never gone back.

flag | Submitted June 27, 2010

The first time I went to Dr. Allen I thought she seemed ok, but that was just our initial meeting. I had made an appointment for a physical and PAP test but then she told me I only needed a PAP test every 18 months, not every 12 months. So I booked another appointment. On the day of that appointment I had to wait 45 minutes before she saw me, and, and when I finally got into the exam room she walked in and started EATING SOUP during my appointment! When I said I needed a PAP test she once again told me I didn't need one because she only does them every 18 months. I explained that it had already been that long, and then she told me she'd rather not do the PAP test that day because she had a "bit of the sniffles" and was afraid her nose would run while she was checking me over. She told me to make another appointment at a later date! I was her last appointment of the day and she couldn't wait 10 mins to eat her soup afterward! Not professional at ALL! I never went back!!

flag | Submitted April 7, 2010

Dr. Allen is a hack, I agree that her liscence should be revoked. When I went in for a routine PAP, she was not ready, when she set me up she actually made me bleed because she was rough with the plastic speculum(never happened before)she said I would have to come back to do it again. NOWAY! I also wanted to discuss my allergies with her and she had some really weird advice that was not medically based at all. When I asked for a referral to an allergist she had no reccomendations but said she would send me anywhere I wanted but I had to give her a name. I have never been back -

flag | Submitted February 2, 2010

I went to this doctor because I was experiencing severe lower back pain, I was having difficulty walking and had been in pain for six months. I told her I wanted an MRI, she said they could not schedule one without xrays first. I did that. Did not hear back about the xrays so I called back. Was told by the receptionist that my xrays were completely normal. Later I got a copy of the xrays and the results actually said I had degenerating disks. Finally got an MRI but was never able to get the results as the doctor was off sick for months. DO NOT USE THIS DOCTOR

flag | Submitted December 22, 2009

I had a horrible experience with this doctor. I went to her and told her I had a positive pregnancy test and she replied, "I don't know why anyone would have children in this day and age." I don't go to a doctor looking for judgement; I go for medical care. I never returned.

flag | Submitted October 3, 2009

In my experience, Dr. Allen has been judgmental and very outdated. One of her most outrageous comments, referring to my birth control: "birth control makes you sterile". (Obviously that's the short term goal of BC, but she implied that it would eventually make me incapable of conceiving a child, ever.) I was so worried, I went to the Bay St. Birth Control Clinic and they reassured me that this was not true and gave me a list of other doctors in downtown TO that are accepting patients. Enough said.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2009

I really like her. She treats you like an adult. I have never had to wait the same as I did with my other doctor and she is polite and knowledgeable. I can't understand the negative remarks. She is open to all my ideas and suggestions about possible treatments

flag | Submitted June 4, 2009

Completely incompetent and out of date. The only doctor I have ever visited whom I believed out to have her medical license revoked immediately for public safety.

flag | Submitted April 30, 2009

I love her. She is blunt, but at least she doesn't sugar coat things. She is my new doctor, my old doctor misdiagnosed my asthma. Her receptionist is great and very helpful. After years with my family doctor, Dr. Allen is breath of fresh air.

flag | Submitted March 13, 2009

Saw Dr. Allen as a first-time patient. Was unimpressed from the second I walked into the office... talk about ghetto! Also EVERYONE in the waiting room was a first-time patient as well, that must be a sign. No one returns after the first visit I'm sure. She sat me down at her desk and from the get go wasn't friendly at all. I felt afraid to ask her any questions. She basically came right out and said "what are you here for, do you need a doctor or do you need something else" and I said I needed prescription refills, and an MMR shot. She didn't know what MMR stood for!!! (measles mumps rubella). When giving me the shot, she asked me to count down fron 10. So I started and I guess she thought I was counting sarcastically or something because she said "don't do that, the last woman I asked to count down didn't do it and ended up with a bruise!" I thought what the hell, she purposely hurt this woman because she didn't want to count out loud? I am never going back.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2008