Ratings for Dr. John Dickinson

I've never felt more like a number in my life as I did during my experiences with Dr. Dickinson. He certainly know's his stuff, and is a very capable and competent ophthalmologist, but make no mistake about it - he is in and out of the appointment room as quickly as possible. During my initial assessment, the nurse was fantastic - friendly yet professional - but from the time I saw her and had the drops put in my eyes, I waited about 2 hours to see Dr. Dickinson. He was nice enough, and very matter-of-fact and to the point, but he as quickly as he moved around, he did seem thorough in his examination. He was careful to explain exactly what was happening with my eye and why he had to repair it, which I was grateful for, but he went so fast that I didn't have time to think of any questions until after I'd left the building. I was able to get in quickly for my laser appointment - just one week after my assessment. That appointment went smoothly in one regard - I was only waiting about 30 minutes or so once the drop was in my eye - but I feel like I barely even saw Dr. Dickinson, although he was on the other end of the machine with the laser, guiding it. I have to go back in a few more months for a check-up, and I'm hoping that's the last time I have to deal with Dr. Dickinson for some time. He's a nice enough man, but I felt very rushed through the whole experience.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2016

Arrogant and disrespectful! He talks down to patients and staff with a major God complex.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2016

As others have said, Dr Dickinson is far to busy!! He is busy for a reason!! He is one of the best at what he goes. I have had numerous injections in an effort to maintain my vision, and EVERY visit goes down the same way. He is very focused and professional from the minute he walks thru the door. As others have said, he is not chatty. It is straight down to the business at hand. If you want "chatty", talk to the people in the waiting room. There are always plenty of people waiting there, and let the doctor do his job :)

flag | Submitted December 14, 2015

Discourteous with a little god complex. No big deal if the work is good I decide,,,well as soon as there is a little post op issue or the results are not top notch you, the patient, become persona non grata. Had a second detached retina surgery with him and it didn't feel quite right immediately. After bringing this up at our first post op meeting suddenly it was like pulling teeth to get in to see him. After the first surgery I would book the next appt. and a week out I would get a confirmation call and then a day before reminder call. After mentioning my concerns after the second operation I got no phone calls. They actually sent me a letter, you know Canada Post, to advise me of an appointment for Dec the 29th. It was post marked the 22nd of December. It arrived Jan 5th with a letter post marked the 30th of Dec advising me I had missed my appt. They had my home land line number, office and cell numbers and an email address but they chose to "snail mail" me during the Holiday Season...it was the first time they had ever sent anything via post. Unbelievable.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2015

I saw this eye surgeon for a retinal detachment. Very professional and he the staff were all kind to me. Highly recommended

flag | Submitted May 2, 2015

I had a good experience with Dr. Dickinson - for the initial consultation, the surgery and the follow up. Everything seemed to run very efficiently and I found Dr. Dickinson to be polite, clear in his explanations and asked me if I was ok during the procedure. He's not chatty, but he's focused and good at what he does. That is what is important to me.

flag | Submitted February 9, 2015

Very rude, very ignorant, unhelpful, very disappointed with this Doctor.

flag | Submitted June 11, 2014

Always professional, knowledgeable, highly concentrated on the eye problem. If I wanted a conversation, I would go to Tim Hortons, After being blind for the past 1 1/2yrs, I am indebted to this wonderful man and his amazing skills. I have vision restored in right eye and in 2014 hope for similar results in my left eye. After triple bypass in April/13, trust me, there are worse things than vision loss.

flag | Submitted December 28, 2013

my brother saw this doctor when he was 17...he went down with hemorrhage in the back of the eye ..doc gave him no help but only furthered the problem...he is now completely blind due to this neglect...he some how forgot to tell my brother he was highly susceptible to infection...but he didn't forget to tell him after...oops!!...rude...ignorant...unfriendly...impatient...with a huge god like complex...please do not see this doctor if referred...he ruined a young mans life and has no remorse...

flag | Submitted September 10, 2013

I saw Dr. Dickinson about a month ago. I flew home just for the appointment. He was not helpful, did not give me time to have any questions answered. Was more worried about if I had insurance and did not like the idea of filling out a form. Said I probably would not be covered anyway. Then, told me the province would not be of any help and listed his fees and the cost of the injections. Then, proceeded to get upset when asked if my condition had advanced when comparing the 2 scans .Said his scan was the only one that counted! Seems he is more concerned about the money then helping people keep their sight. Have not heard one word back since he received notice that my insurance company denied any coverage. I have since found a more ethical doctor who took time to go over my condition . Dr. Dickinson may be the best , but, needs to take a course on "how to treat people." and seem so uncaring.I read about him before my appointment,but, nothing could have prepared me for his treatment.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2013