Ratings for Dr. Daniel P. Mass

had a simple surgery to repair and impingement in my shoulder, shaved the bone down too much causing a fracture where ai needed a second surgery (ORIF), he apparently over torqued the titanium bolt causing it to break in half which lead to a third surgery which I had done by a different surgeon with further complication!! Awful experience and the worst part was he never took ownership, he kept saying "what have you been doing?" are you kidding me??!!!!

flag | Submitted June 21, 2017

Run the other way! This doctor is past his prime, and way too arrogant. Does not carefully consider related medical conditions or other options before surgery. He took and overly aggressive approach to straightening my figure, destroying my PIP joint for life. He did not explain the details of the surgery, the risks, or concerns. In my opinion, he is knife happy and willing to use his patients as learning subjects for his students. The worse thing about it, is that I did not learn how mutilated my finger was until I saw other doctors who finally explained what was done, how overly risky it was, and how bad it turned out. I wish I had pursued second and third opinions, and forced him to consult with my rheumatologist since he was too arrogant to do so himself. Any doctor who does not thoroughly explain what they are going to do, how it will be done, and the associated risks should not be in practice or operating on people. Plenty of other really great doctors, suggest going somewhere else.

flag | Submitted April 13, 2017

I agree with the person who disliked how the staff shoves papers in your face and demands you sign without reading, and try to mislead you into thinking you're just agreeing that your name and address are correct when clearly you are agreeing to much more. Don't sign without reading, no matter what they say, and you can always write something into the forms. If you do that, the nurses will complain , but who cares? You have a right to not agree to accept wanton negligence, and shouldn't.

flag | Submitted November 25, 2014

I like Dr. Mass. He is not the most friendly Doctor I have ever had, but he did a great job on my basal joint reconstructive surgery. I will say that he does not return telephone calls. His Nurse does. I had to send a fax to get a phone call returned. However, if that's the worst thing that happened, it's all good. I highly recommend him if you have hand problems.

flag | Submitted October 31, 2011

Dr. Mass is okay (I don't know how to judge whether he is knowledgeable so put 3), but his staff makes me dread each visit. Post-op care was abominable! The nurses are snooty and bullies. They pretend they do not understand patients rights (go to your own legal dept!), and do not seem to think they should be required to do the jobs they are well paid for. They are very good at shoving forms in your face and demanding you sign them w/o reading, telling you that you are just agreeing that your name and address are correct on the form and that "it's not a legal document" when you are actually signing to agree to any procedure w/o further explanation. There are other good orthopedic surgeons around with more competent, pleasant and less deceitful staff.

flag | Submitted June 12, 2011

Had 3 surgerys on left wrist in 9 mo.could not solve problem.Does not give clear answers to questions.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2009

He is the best! Basal joint surgery is a big success.

flag | Submitted April 12, 2008

office staff are courteous friendly,reassuring and appologetic if the doctor is behind schedule...(delays should be expected on occassion)just like any other human being a doctor can have a bad day . as for aproachability I have been pleasantly surprised not only to have a phone call returned by the office but to have the doctor speak to me personally about my problem/ condition. the doctor is knowledgeable ,kind , caring , gentle,and humorus and serious about his work ,he even draws pictures when necessasary!

flag | Submitted April 5, 2008

Dr. Mass treated my infant daughter for a hand injury and operated twice on me. He was absolutely fabulous with both of us! He has a wonderful demeanor and I would not hesitate one second to recommend him to anyone. He is very courteous and knowledgeable.

flag | Submitted March 11, 2008

Knows his surgery and is Director of his Department, but leaves a lot to be desired..Told a patient in pain to "stop being a wimp".When patient started to cry, he ignored her distress, grabbed her arm forcing it to the table, and began operation without further contact. .Didn't bother to speak to patient after surgery or to send someone else to discuss.Was two hours late for first appointment without apology or explanation, and forgot to examine patient on Pre-op appointment. Apparently he left the department on other errands..Very disappointed in what was supposed to be a highly regarded surgeon.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2007

Dr. Daniel P. Mass's Credentials

• University Of Chicago - Pritzker School Of Medicine (Grad. 1975)