Ratings for Dr. Andrew Loblaw

Dr. Loblaw is one of the most talented doctors I've ever met. The commenters here who says he's the best aren't exaggerating. After my first meeting with Dr. Loblaw I knew my father was in excellent hands. If you have prostate cancer and are a candidate for brachytherapy I highly recommend getting a referral to Dr. Loblaw at Sunnybrook.

flag | Submitted July 3, 2019

Dr Loblaw is the best doctor I've ever met. He treated my father and I can't be more thankful. He is very knowledgeable and has pleasant personality.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2019

I’ve seen Dr Loblaw several times since I transferred care from another doctor at Sunnybrook. He was recommended to me by a colleague who is actively knows prostate care and the best people in this area. I have found him to be very personable and willing to take the time to spend time answering any questions. I wish they could clone him.

flag | Submitted May 25, 2019

I found him to be extremely arrogant. He did not know anything about me except for the summary of the last report. Told me to go home and get my affairs in order because it was spreading like wildfire but I didn't need radiation because it wasn't time!

flag | Submitted May 23, 2019

I can't say enough about Dr. Loblaw he is the BEST. As part of the 2SMART clinical trial for my prostate cancer I had 2 treatments with a total of 3 visits and follow ups will be done from home. Any PSA or other tests over the next 5 years can be done from my nearest hospital or clinic, which is great as I live 2 hours from Sunnybrook Odette Centre. Did I say that Dr. Loblaw is the BEST ?? I feel very blessed to have found Dr. Loblaw and to have gotten this amazing treatment , Oh and Merrylee is fantastic as is Dr. Loblaw's whole team !! Thank you Dr.L

flag | Submitted July 14, 2018

Never a problem since I first saw him almost 2 years. Discussion, MRI and internal radiation and my numbers are down and he is a joy to talk to.

flag | Submitted August 1, 2017

Dr Loblaw diagnosed my prostate cancer when no one else could. He offered me MRI at Sunnybrook (I understand one of the best prostate MRI departments in North America) and a transperineal biopsy (I had to get him to spell that for me!). He said it has 100x less chance of infection (he quoted me less than 0.1% although under duress he admitted that he never had one of his patients have an infection in over 10 years of doing the procedure. We found an early highly curable prostate cancer (bad news) but I had a single MRI-guided brachytherapy procedure and was golfing the next day! No diapers! I waited a week to be intimate with my wife - I was so shocked - no problems in that department (a little discomfort but hey who's complaining!?!) The staff were amazing, especially the nurses and therapist down in the bracio suite. If you have been diagnosed, please go to Sunnybrook before making your decision - you won't regret it - ML, Sudbury

flag | Submitted July 20, 2017

4 years ago I discovered the downside of 'watchful waiting' when a fourth biopsy showed that my prostate cancer had progressed from a gleason 6 to gleason 7. I had previously talked to many doctors in Toronto about the many different treatment options and had chosen the surgery option if the cancer progressed based on the Sloan Kettering prostate cancer nomograph of long term outcomes. But I wasn't happy about what the progression had done to ‎my likely long term outcome. Then, covering off the one last treatment option I hadn't investigated, I got referred to Dr Loblaw.  We had quite a brief conversation going over high dose rate brachytherapy and seeing where I was on my learning curve he gave me a copy of a paper he and his group had just published. With the Sloan Kettering numbers fresh in my mind, it took me about 10 minutes to decide to sign up for treatment with him. This was a perfect approach for me. I'd had some pretty negative reactions to other doctors. It wasn't all a positive experience after treatment, but I am really pleased with where I am now. I see Dr Loblaw once a year now and I always feel I get his best thoughts on what can best help me with where I am now, and he has been a lot of help after the initial treatment. I also go to a second urologist closer to me in Oakville once a year who who did the half dose of external beam that was part of the high dose brachytherapy treatment four years ago. He measures my PSA and waits. He hasn't yet offered any thoughts on what could improve my outcome. Dr Loblaw is a pleasant person to talk to, and one who I think very much cares about his patients. More importantly to me though, is that I think he is very effective at what he does. I feel very fortunate to have met him.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2015

I am a 45yr old male who has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. I was referred to Dr. Loblaw from my Urologist (another great doctor) to evaluate my options for treatment. I can't say enough about the kind staff and the incredibly open Dr. Loblaw. He took all the time I needed to help me understand the treatments available in ways I could understand (non clinical speak) and how my life will be after treatment. Its through his open and down to earth nature that I have complete confidence this doctor will treat my cancer completely and correctly so I can lead a normal life. Having now had the treatment, my new journey begins because of Dr. Loblaw. I would recommend him to anyone needing to address this cancer.

flag | Submitted April 26, 2014

My PSA took a sudden jump and my family doctor sent me to see a local urologist. When I walked in the room he said "Mr. Brown, you have cancer and I am going to fix it." I walked out. The next urologist I went to had appointments every 15 minutes. If I was lucky I saw him for 3 or 4 only after waiting forever. My doctor then made an appointment with Dr. Loblaw. Our first meeting was 1 1/2 hours and I learned more about my potential problem than I could imagine. He suggested a biopsy which I had and it came back positive.He offered me 6 treatment options, one being "watchful waiting" and another being part of a clinical study using high dose radiation. I had one radiation treatment a week for 5 weeks instead of the normal regimen of every day for 37 days. I had no side effects and it minimized disruption of my job. I am now cancer free and have been for 5 years. Dr. Loblaw has a great personality and you know that he is doing the very best for you. His staff are equally competent. Brad B

flag | Submitted June 21, 2013