Ratings for Dr. Frank Buffam

I had a chalazion removed yesterday at his office and my eye looks so much better already. I was sent to him as my optometrist had no idea what was growing in my eye but Dr. Buffam did right away. He had a resident with him and he explained the diagnosis and the procedure to both of us while he worked. The surgery only took 10 minutes right in his office and I had absolutely no pain. From the results, I believe his technique was excellent. He was very professional and friendly at the same time. Top marks!

flag | Submitted September 26, 2012

I had surgery on my right eye for blocked duct Sept. 4/5 2012. at VGH. I’m from Prince George. Consult 1 day followed by surgery the next. I also had this procedure done in my left eye in 2003 by another physician. I had pain, lots of swelling and bruising and avoided going out in public for about 10 days. (I looked like someone beat me up). Normal recovery for a surgical procedure that I thought went well. My experience with Dr. Buffam went better than I ever expected. Absolutely no pain, no bruising, no outward incision site! There was a small amount of swelling in the corner of my eye. I looked and felt well enough to attend a funeral just 2 days after my surgery. No one there could have guessed that I had surgery less than 48 hours ago. I want to thank Dr. Buffam and his staff for the care that they provided. Everyone from the receptionists(all 5 of them both at his office as well as the staff at Jim Pattison Pavillion,pre and postop nurses were timely and professional. Thankyou.

flag | Submitted September 24, 2012

Amazing staff! Dr. Buffam very kind and patient! I had interns in while he was doing my procedure and he was a very good instructor. Lucky to have him as a mentor.

flag | Submitted March 12, 2012

Dr. Buffam is among the best - if not the very best - medical professionals I have ever dealt with. Someone described him to me as "world class". I believe it. Highly knowledgeable. Highly skilled. And highly motivated to achieve the best possible outcome. I would recommend him without reservation.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2012

Extremely curt, and very blunt. Same with his technician. no courtesy at all - and was told, that's the way we do things in this office. No respect or interest at all in the Privacy Act. Just wanted to move on with his business. Too bad.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2012

Not a very gentle touch. Does things without telling you, like injecting local anesthasia in your eye socket...try to fit a peg that does not fit...maybe if i push harder it will get in...OUTCH!!!

flag | Submitted March 15, 2011

First time I have used his services to repair my sealed tear duct. Answered all my questions during consultation and was pleasant and professional. I attended hospital following day for surgery. He was on time and had a good bed side manner. I would highly recommend him. His staff went out of their way to assist me in getting the surgery date and time arranged.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2011

I do believe he is a competent surgeon, but his bedside manner was awful. He seemed offended when I asked him questions and when I asked if a more aggressive treatment might be better than doing the procedure twice. It seemed he "punished" my "insolence" by telling me to close my eyes and relax and then jabbed me in the face with the local anesthetic needle without any warning. I mean, how dare I? (I was so shocked by that I almost jumped out of the chair and hit him) HE is the surgeon and it's only my face...The surgery ended up being done twice as I had feared anyway. Then again, perhaps my perception is way out of line and I am reading way more into this than necessary. I just think that you should give fair warning before sticking someone in the face with a needle.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2011

Master surgeon, despite that my extremely delicate cosmetic repair on an unfortunate complication. Has a great sense of humour!

flag | Submitted August 16, 2010

The man is an outstanding surgeon who also happens to tell the truth. His manner can be brusque, but I'd choose candor over charm any day of the week. If a procedure has potential complications, I want to know exactly what they are. Some doctors play down the risks; this one won't. I would trust Dr. Buffam with my life.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2010