Ratings for Dr. Richard Zehr

Cocky rude and full of self importance. Not very helpful to me.

flag | Submitted December 3, 2014

I would not recommend Dr. Zehr for anyone who is a highly sensitive person. He is abrupt, interupts you and doesn't allow you to speak until he has said what he needs to say, he verges on rude, and it is hard to get your thoughts understood. I spent most of my time clarifying his understanding of ME. I found it very frustrating. I am a highly sensitive person, so it didn't work for me. I am looking for another therapist that might be able to lead me through the journey to wellness.

flag | Submitted June 4, 2014

I am writing this after 3 total hours with Dr. Zehr. I find that after each appointment I come away feeling somewhat better. As the day goes on, I find I am left extremely frustrated and confused. He interrupts way too much, tries to finish my thoughts (hasn't gotten one right yet) and I feel he minimizes my "issues". I have 3 booked appointments left, but am unsure this is what is going to work for me. We have yet to discuss anything in detail, mostly because he talks so much that I don't get a chance. Please stop trying to finish my thoughts - you do not know me after 3 hours - it's frustrating. I have been to a multitude of therapists/therapies for 24 years now and this is by far the worst one as far as making me feel totally crazy, confused and frustrated. I'd prefer CBT for the rest of my life. I will, however, go to a few more sessions and see if this is going to go anywhere. I can not get an answer as to what the treatment plan is or what the outcomes should be.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2014

turned the corner in life with his intense treatment. if you have early childhood "stuff" to address...hes the guy.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2013

Richard was a God-send. The style is abrupt and frustrating but that is designed to help people get to the root of their issues. I chose to see him in order to resolve some life long emotional issues. It was hard work - extremely painful; but the rest of my life will be happier as a result. It took a long time to find someone who could help me get to the crux of my emotional issues - I saw many types of therapists over my 50 plus years and I can finally live my life without a constant feeling of a knife twisting in my stomach. What Richard does is to help you help yourself - he's not a hand holder or a cheerleader - he's a serious therapist that can help a person change their perspective of life and themselves. He helped me do just that. But, you have to be ready to do the hard work or it probably won't be a good fit for you. I have both gratitude and respect for Richard and beleive that if you really want to address your emotional pain you won't find a much better therapist than him.

flag | Submitted October 23, 2010

Dr.Zehr is an excellent avenue for those people who want to get to the "root" of their issues. He is insightful and always allows one to stay focused on the issue you are dealing with in a gentle and caring manner.

flag | Submitted January 20, 2010

I was very pleased with the service that I received. He was very patient. After the first few sessions, I was able to go back to work part time.Once my sessions were finished I was able to go back full time.

flag | Submitted March 30, 2009

Richard is a standout therapist and helped me do some hard work, loooking inward as opposed to blaming others as I was doing before. Its hard work we all need to do at some point!

flag | Submitted March 6, 2009

I agree with the previous comments and that he appears to have no objective insight into the mental health issues he is trying to treat.

flag | Submitted August 4, 2007

Was rude and pushy. Bad interviewer. I agree with the reviewer who said he should be avoided by fragile people. Disappointing that he is associated with the NS Environmental Health Centre, they could do so much better (and so would the patients) with someone compassionate and easygoing.

flag | Submitted June 28, 2007