Ratings for Dr. Felicia T. Callan

This office is unprofessional. I called with an emergency situation and receptionist wouldn't schedule my appt any earlier than a month away. I explained that I was in pain and needed to be seen but they provided no flexibility. Stay away from this office

flag | Submitted October 15, 2015

Love, Love Dr Callan. Yes, the wait can sometimes be long but she will always answer all of your questions and never rush you. She does genuinely care about all of her patients. That being said, Lauren her secretary has the personality of a toad and really needs to learn some basic customer service skills.

flag | Submitted October 21, 2014

I have been a patient of doctor Callan's for the past 15 years, and yes, she is difficult to get an appointment with, and once you do, the time spent in the waiting room is very long, but there is a reason so many people wait so long to see her. She is VERY smart and VERY compassionate. I have rarely felt as though I didn't trust something she has said. She doesn't rush the visit, which is probably why she has such long waits. I am currently pregnant with my first child and it's been a difficult pregnancy. She has always made herself available to answer my questions and return my calls promptly. As long as you prepare yourself for the long wait and limited availability, you will love Dr. Callan. If you'd prefer a doctor who you will be in and out within an hour with (and for the most part, who wouldn't)then Dr. Callan isn't for you.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2013

I had a similar experience with Dr. Callan as other reviewers did. She confused me with another patient and prescribed medication unnecessarily during my pregnancy. Luckily I had a gut feeling that it was wrong so I didn't take it until I got her on the phone. During that conversation she admitted that she transcribed my hormone levels wrong in my file and that, in fact, my progesterone wasn't low. She then said that she "confused me with another patient whose pregnancy she was very worried about." That isn't something you want to hear during your first pregnancy. I stuck with her because I didn't want to change doctors mid-pregnancy and I had a healthy baby in the end, but I do have reservations with staying with her. She is a lovely person, but a bit forgetful and spaced out.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2013

I concur with the prior rating. The wait time to see any doctor in this practice is ususally 1 hour +; I myself have found a new doctor. It is clear this practice does not value their patients time.

flag | Submitted December 26, 2012

I have been going to Dr. Callan for a few years but only for my annual exam until last year when I became pregnant. I will first say that I LOVE Dr. Callan but had it not been for that, I would have switched practices. I had to go for my monthly visits while pregnant and I think there were only one, maybe two times that I didn't have to wait at least 45-60 minutes. I understand that when you are dealing with pregnant women that sometimes emergencies come up and they need to squeeze a patient into the schedule. One or two times of having to wait would have been fine but it was just way too often. I recently went for my 6 month postpartum check-up and had my little daughter with me and I had to wait an hour and 15 minutes to see the doctor. I honestly think they forgot I was there because I saw quite a few people arrive after me and go in before me. Needless to say, as much as I like Dr. Callan, the way the office functions is not good and I will be finding a new doctor.

flag | Submitted December 18, 2012

I saw Dr. Callan for years and kept telling myself to find a new doctor. The hassle of finding a new doctor always just kept me going back to her but I no longer see her. She never remembered anything about me when I saw her. She always asked if I was still teaching even though I had left that job a long time ago. She was judgemental to my lifestyle as a sexually active single woman. I think she is very conservative and tries to influence her viewpoint on you. I experienced her as very judgemental. She would try to counsel me. She was judgemental of my choice to terminate a pregnancy a few years ago. Didn't refer me to anyone to help because she did not perform that procedure. When I did get pregnant and was going through some difficultie with the pregnancy I found her not very informative. I usually left the office confused. I miscarried my baby and during my follow up I found her being judgemental once again.I need a doctor who will take care of me, not judge me.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2012

I have used Dr. Callan for many years and think she is a lovely person. However, I agree with the other rater, and had a similar experience regarding poor communication. Dr. Callan had even confused me with another patient and was not on top of the issue, when discussing my problem on the telephone. Then I felt she was jumping the gun and overcompensating by suggesting a more invasive test than was necessary. I found myself doing my own research and suggesting a sonogram instead to rule out any problems. So I never had the more invasive test, I'm still fine, but I've completely lost confidence and am looking for a new doctor.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2011

I absolutely love Dr. Callan. After moving to LI I had a tough time finding an OB GYN that I liked. I went to 3 other doctors before someone on a website I use (LIFamilies.com) recommended her. I was so impressed at how much time she took getting to know me and addressing my questions about starting a family. The most time any other Dr. spent talking with me was like 10 minutes tops. Dr. Callan actually sat with me in her office for nearly an hour. I would highly recommend her!

flag | Submitted July 11, 2011

DR. CALLAN'S KNOWLEDGE & EXPERTISE: When I went in for my appt Dr. Callan informed me that I would miscarry at 5 wks because my baby had stopped "growing". I then took an in office test to read my hormonal levels. She informed me that she would call me with the results in a few days. In the meantime, I didn't miscarry. No spotting or anything. I finally got the call. Dr. Callan said to me over the phone that my hormonal levels were at 50, and this is why I would definitely miscarry. I then went to see her a wk later. This is when she informed me that she made a mistake and that my hormonal levels were at 3780, not 50 and that my baby was perfectly healthy. If she can't read a simple number off of a sheet of paper, what qualifies her to deliver a baby? She should have been more thorough when analyzing her patients data, especially in a case like this where it seemed strange that my healthy baby had "stopped" growing. Please go elsewhere for efficient, and knowledgeable health care.

flag | Submitted December 21, 2010

Dr. Felicia T. Callan's Credentials

• State University Of New York At Stony Brook, School Of Medicine (Grad. 1992)

Workers Comp