Ratings for Dr. Bradley H. Chesler

I previously wrote a positive review of Dr. Chesler, but I am sorry to have to revise it now for the benefit of potential patients. Dr. Chesler seemed to me a knowledgeable physician and a nice person. I had been seeing this doctor for several months. At one point it was discovered that I hadn't met my deductible, and so owed the practice about $150. I arranged with the office to make payments at each visit over and above my copay until the balance was payed off, and have done this. My last visit was on Oct.1, and as usual, I made my payment and there was no communication that there was any problem or that they wished for me to make a larger payment. On Oct. 9, I was shocked to receive a letter from the office saying that I needed to call a number (not the office number) immediately or I would cease to be a patient of Dr. Chesler. The letter said that I was sent a certified letter (which I was) and included was a form to request records to send to my new doctor. Because I thought so highly of Dr. Chesler, I couldn't imagine he would agree to such unprofessional, manipulative, unheard of tactics. If the office was having financial troubles and needed me to make a larger payment, they could have communicated it to me. I believe I acted honorably and decently with this office, and in turn, I didn't receive the same courtesy. I called and left a message of my concerns and did not receive a return call. The next day I did speak to someone in the office, and I thought the doctor had perhaps turned over his accounts to an agency that received a commission, and so would be eager to shake down patients with balances. It took a while to drag out of the staff that the person responsible was Dr. Chesler's wife Jeannie. I was told a number of things by the office, that this person, "owned the practice," and was, "Dr. Chesler's boss. Okay, so now we have the truth. Although a doctor may remove a patient for any reason if 30 days notice is given, once an agreement and contract is made, a business cannot call in the balance. Since they accepted my payment of $50 on Oct. 1, along with other payments, that constitutes a contract. Please don't tell me you didn't agree to this; if your office did, then you did too. If a business wishes to call in a full balance, then they would be required to refuse any partial payment, which they certainly did not. There was zero communication or warning that I would face this highly upsetting and totally unexpected treatment. Even if a patient hadn't made a payment in a while, this is not the first line of contact. Usually the office will seek to set up a payment plan, which I already had. While speaking to the office, I asked, "So, am I not going to be able to make my next appointment?" The answer was, "Sure you can." They made an appointment for me. A few hours later I received a message on my machine from Jeannie, the wife, "Call me right away. This will affect your appointment." Jeannie, I am not ignorant, nor am I on narcotics as many pain patients are and unable to think clearly and so fall for your scheme. I am surprised that you would go to this much effort since I only owe the office $75. That's right, you forgot to credit my last payment when you decided to enact draconian measures. In my nearly 60 years, I haven't had one medical practice ever do anything like this, even when I owed a significant balance. So, today I came home and discovered another message from Jeannie. She said that my appointment was canceled, since she couldn't get a hold of me. Well, Jeannie, I will save you the need to play your script for me. As much as I like Dr. Chesler, it is not worth it to have to deal with you to see him, and if you treat me like this now, who knows what the future holds? I have 3 pages of doctors with this specialty within 10 miles in my plan search engine. By the way, you need to provide a patient with a 30 day notice, and as I received your communication on 10/9 and today it is 10/21, this is a violation of medical ethics and perhaps more. I think it would have been fair to have received informed consent of "nice doctor but nasty wife who calls the shots," prior to engaging with this practice. It really doesn't make sense to me, as they would lose $150 by canceling my appointment for a $75 balance. I would have sent this communication to the practice, but they have no email. Dr. Chesler did not return my call. No, I don't want to listen to whatever Jeannie has to say, considering how she has treated a good patient despicably. I feel worse for the disabled and narcotic requiring patients who are forced to endure this. Perhaps there is more to the story, as it doesn't add up. Maybe they are selling the practice and want to collect all the balances now, I don't know. I do know I won't receive treatment where there is a breach of trust.

flag | Submitted October 21, 2014

I was denied an epidural shot and told "my problem is not that bad." This was after the doctor reviewed my MRI results revealing a herniated disc, bulging at 22mm. I went to get a second opinion and was scheduled immediately for the shot. My only regret is not meeting with the other doctor sooner!

flag | Submitted July 15, 2014

The only pain Dr Iknow who isn't going to push you into something your not comfortable with. he also really listens and actually cares.

flag | Submitted May 15, 2014

Dr. Chesler is very caring M.D. and I strongly recommend him for pain management.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2014

Dr Chesler is a very good Doctor. Dr. Chesler is a very down the earth person that truly cares about his patents.

flag | Submitted July 28, 2013

Dr. Bradley H. Chesler's Credentials

• University Of Minnesota Medical School (Grad. 1985)

Medicaid / Medi-Cal