Ratings for Dr. MARK G. Schumacher

Dr. Schumacher called my cancer as "insignificant". Recommended a lumpectomy. I requested (on many occasions) an MRI prior to my surgery. He said NO. My memory is that he said "MRI's do not cure cancer". I thought that was a strange reason. I wasn't suggesting that it did. I wanted to confirm a lumpectomy was the best procedure in my case. Tumor turned out to be twice the size with lymph node involvement; resulting in needing an additional surgery as well as delaying my chemo/radiation treatment. I had another surgeon perform my 2nd surgery (bilateral mastectomy). Cancer was in the other breast as well. The MRI would have shown that. My cancer was never detected on mammogram. I found this lump, with self exam. Reason for my review? Don't take NO for an answer. If you have Breast Cancer, you have the right to have an MRI. Trust your gut. Hopefully this will be a learning point for Dr. Schumacher. I know I learned a valuable lesson.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2014

Dr. MARK G. Schumacher's Credentials

• Univ Of Ca, Los Angeles, Ucla Sch Of Med, Los Angeles Ca 90024 (Grad. 1985)