Tacoma General Hospital

Cleanliness
Facilities
Services
Value

My husband has had 12 heart attacks and developed bad chest pains after bowling on Jan 25th at about 9:00 pm. I drove him straight to the hospital since we were in the area. The ER staff determined he was not having another HA by EKG and blood work and then just told him to sit in the lobby to wait even though he was still having chest pain at a 6 out of 10 and stabbing pains from an 8 up to a 10. After approx 45 painful mins and he hadn't been called I went to the desk and was told by the nurse that he was a priority patient and would be called soon. After another wait my husband asked me to wheel him to the desk. At that time they put my husband on a vital monitor and got permission to give him a nitro pills which did nothing. Finally they put him I. Room 25 in the emergency area but there was no bed in the room. Unbelievably they just sat him in an empty room and left him. I had to get the nurse call button for him in case he needed assistance and after a wait we called the nurse who came in and said she would get a bed. Another wait with my husband in pain and freezing. I covered him with his coat. Finally the nurse came in and said the doctor had ordered repeat tests and gees actually noticed again there was no bed. Finally a bed came and my husband got into it mentioning he was freezing cold. The nurse didn't offer any blankets so I covered him again with his coat. Every time the nurses came in to do tests they removed the coat but never gave him any blankets so I kept putting the coat over him. We were to wait until 12:30 am when repeat tests were to be done . At 1250 am we called the nurse who finally did the test and said my husband could have some morphine for his pain. The doctor came in and said all tests for HA were normal and would be sending him home if retest results were normal. The morphine reduced the pain to a 4 so they gave him more which eventually brought it down to a 2. At that time the test results came back normal and he was discharged with a 2 level of pain. I went to get the car andn when I came back I saw him walking unescorted from the emergency room clear out to the car. No wheelchair or someone walking with him even though he still had pain and was lightheaded from the morphine. I tell you I cannot believe how my husband was handled with his history of bypasses and many stents. He has had several spells like this with overnight hospitalization at GSH and has an appointment for possible placement of a pacemaker. We were especially worried about the stabbing pains and how suddenly the pain had come on. We knew at GSH they stabilized him at no pain before releasing him and always assisted / escorted him to the car. We even asked if we could get an ambulance to transfer him to GSH but we're told that GSH would probably be as busy as they were there. Next time we won't waste our time on this substandard hospital but call an ambulance and go right to Good Samaritan Hospital where they care more and make sure he is taken care of before he ls released. And they always make sure to escort/ assist him to the car when discharged to be positive he gets there safely! Definitely a better and more caring staff!

flag | Submitted January 28, 2017