Deaconess Medical Center

Cleanliness
Facilities
Services
Value

The quality of hospital staff varied widely from excellent post-op/recovery and evening staff to cold, disinterested, overstressed daytime staff. My main problem with the stay was I was sent home wiI noth a catheter and despite several incidents during the stay of the catheter being blocked by blood clots requiring irrigation to clear, I was not provided either an irrigation syringe or saline. The catheter was reinserted just prior to my release which started more bleeding and by the time I got home, the catheter was blocked once again. Eventually, after I cleared the blockage once myself with boiled water and a sterile squeeze bottle (don't ask) I found I couldn't clear the blockage completely on a second occurrance and I had to go to ER (45 minute drive & 2 hours in the ER) to get the catheter cleared and the bleeding assessed by a doctor. The bill for the ER, AFTER insurance, was over $300. All of that because the hospital was too cheap to provide the syringe and instructions. This is an money making proposition for Deaconess and Rockwood, something of a cash cow procedure given the number of boomers needing the surgery (50% of men over 50). The entire experience was like cows entering a packing plant--the process is set up to handle as many as possible at the least cost. I'm not planning on repeating the procedure in order to check out Sacred Heart, but I sincerely hope they are at least moderately better.

flag | Submitted November 20, 2014