Elizabeth Marmaras, PHD

Clinic

Rate Elizabeth Marmaras, PHD

Ratings for Elizabeth Marmaras, PHD

Value

Dr. Marmaras is a highly functional psychologist who is only able to succeed in Grad School & academic settings and I agree that she is one of the few psychologists in NYC who have received advanced clinical training. When I first got referred to Dr. Marmaras, During my 1st intake session, I was absolutely fascinated by all of the clinical tools she integrated for that 45 mins session and I was telling myself that "she is the only psychologist who can help me that no one else in this world would". And yes, before I met her, I had worked with 13 psychologists/LCSWs and unfortunately, each of them was in their complete denial to diagnose me with paranoid schizophrenia due to those therapists' own fear and stigma associated with schizophrenic patients. When Dr. Marmaras first started opening her Private Practice in 2013, I went to see her for weekly psychotherapy. Even though I had told Dr. Marmaras that I was hearing voices and believed that someday in the future I would get murdered/shot by strangers from the street because I felt the spirit was telling me to die or commit suicide someday, Dr. Marmaras told me to ignore the voice and focus on my job. It was not until I started working at a homeless shelter where I started realizing that me and those patients living with schizophrenia at that shelter had shared so much commonality, I continued disclosing to Dr. Marmaras that I think that my schizophrenic symptoms had met every criteria on the DSM-V for schizophrenia. Dr. Marmaras laughed and said "I was just self-diagnosing". And my diagnosis with schizophrenia was still being left in the back burner. In August 2014, I started realizing that Dr. Marmaras had continuously shown a pattern of crying and wiping her eyes every time when I was sharing some of the extremely challenging situations when I was growing up. For my first 6 months of treatment before I disclosed to her my signs with schizophrenia, she was open-minded, understanding, smiling a lot, and one time she even asked me, "So, ***, what is like for you to hear that someone like me will always care for you, nurture you, and honor your struggle?" I was teared up a little during the session even though I wasn't aware at that time, but as soon as I shared with her that my heart was already broken at the age of 2 when my parents failed to care for me and told me I should be killed. Dr. Marmaras cried again, tears were flowing down her face, which left me shocked, confused, and not sure abt how to react. Another session back during that summer, after I got diagnosed with urticaria hives, Dr. Marmaras cried for that entire session again once she checked the hives on my back. I trusted her at that time, at least, I decided to give a shot to trust her and see what would happen. In the meantime, Dr. Marmaras shared how she had a challenging relationship with her father growing up, which I found it was insightful and then she said : "there are days that I had to rely on my psychiatric meds because I have my diagnoses too and even now, I still see my psychiatrist once/month. " I was so inspired during that session because I also honored her struggle and mental health recovery and in my head, I was like "Great I am not alone because I'm not the only one who's suffering". I thought during that session and after that session, she was going to continue sharing to me abt her mental health recovery journey, but instead, she cried for at least 8 sessions after that and said, "*** I really love my dad because I have worked so hard to fix some of the unresolved dilemmas in our relationship. (Another session)- "And sometimes, it's really difficult that no matter how hard you work your parents don't appreciate you." She started sobbing again. I gradually felt that my voice was not being heard by her anymore and most of the time after those "her crying" sessions, I felt during the session, I was actually playing the "psychotherapist's role", observed her feelings, sadness, her tears, the sounds that accompanied with her sobbing, and I also "psychoanalyzed" her pain, offered empathetic rapport, and continued encouraging her how successful she had been. Unfortunately, I completely forgot that I was her patient paying her and my needs had to be met. I think what made me to starting to record our psychotherapy session was that, somehow subconsciously, I always knew that our therapeutic relationship would become abusive someday and eventually she would leave and then hurt me. Back in 2014, she started raising her fee from $130-$150/session and as a college grad at that time working my $10/hour job, I did not have enough money to pay her. In the meantime, Dr. Marmaras continued threatening to leave me that if I didn't have the money, she could no longer work with me which also triggered my suicidal tendency. Dr. Marmaras also continued forcing me to see her 2 to 3 times/week and manipulating me by saying that if I had to apply to grad school and do my internship she couldn't work with me because she said, "someone like you who have severe suicidal tendencies is not ready for a Master's program in MHC. She also threatened me by saying "If you have to go to work today while feeling suicidal, I have to contact your job and if later they fire you, you'll have to be responsible for that." I felt scared but still went to work, for that afternoon, I received 6 missed calls from her and 2 voice messages. I texted her "please stop calling, I can't answer my cellphone at my job". She was still calling like non-stop so I texted her, "Dr. Marmaras, if you continue to call me when I am working I have to call the police to block your call and you'll get arrested and right now you are violating our boundaries between a psychologist and a patient." Thank God, she stopped harassing me for that afternoon. For the following session, she cried again. And ironically, she said that I threatened her and she could no longer work with me. For that 2 months, she insulted me, my parents, my upbringing. " She looked straight into my eyes and then said**I came from a more privileged background than you, even during those days when I had to take psych meds, I had other support. People from the Greek culture are not like the people from your culture, with no support at all. You have no friends, no parental support, your parents don't pay for your rent or your therapy. I can't work with you. And no psychologists want to work with a patient who's suicidal and schizophrenic". I reported Dr. Marmaras to the State Licensing Board in 2016 but unfortunately, I showed the investigator another recording when Dr. Marmaras sobbing and talking abt her father. I should have shown him the audio recording when Dr. Marmaras insulted my background and threatened to call my job. But how did Dr. Marmaras' brother Christos Marmaras find me on some of my social media sites? I had to block him. For those of you and Dr. Marmaras' colleagues who are in denial to believe that a psychologist like Dr. Marmaras had abused me, diluted my treatment, threatened me, and made me feel suicidal, each of you should meet up with me so that I can play the audio recording when she said, "No Psychologists want to work with patients who are schizophrenic!" And yes Dr. Marmaras' crying and sobbing in my paid therapy session with her, because audio recordings don't lie.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2017

flag | Submitted February 16, 2017

flag | Submitted February 6, 2017

Value

Dr. Marmaras discriminates on the poor, the mentally ill, and those who come from the lowest low. She has been working in the mental health field for 20+ years, but unfortunately, she still cannot step out of the "box" that's associated with the stigma of homelessness, suicide, and schizophrenia. Dr. Marmaras only feels comfortable working with patients like herself, those who have been diagnosed with eating disorder, BPD, and Bipolar. She also favors those rich people who come from a more privilege family than myself, because like exactly what she told me in person, "You are right. I have never been homeless or being on the street. That's why I cannot relate to you. And I can not work with you. "

flag | Submitted February 6, 2017

Value

I hope that Dr. Elizabeth Marmaras will eventually realize what she did to her patient was wrong, damaging, and unethical. I was her patient too during my treatment she never asked me to sign a consent form or anything. Sometimes psychologists have to protect themselves even though they knew that violating the clinical boundary was wrong. And the reality is that, if Dr. Marmaras admits and acknowledges that she did threaten the client the danger would be she might lose her license. I think it's the guilt that made her to end the relationship with her client and she had to use psycho- defense mechanism to completely deny everything and how much she had harmed and emotionally abused her client. She was the answer to my prayer too at first but once her personal stuff came out and she couldn't get out I ended the therapy with her right away and never went back.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2016

Value

An article I wrote about my reflection on surviving emotional abuse during my paid psychotherapy session with Dr. Marmaras and her complete denial of the abuse and the harm she had done on my emotional being. I read a Mental Health Abuse Recovery book called "Reflection of Mamie" -A Story of Survival by Rosemary "Mamie" Adkins, on page 22, research showed that "there were 2.9 million child abuse reports made in 1992. Only 28% of the children identified as harm by abuse are investigated. The typical child se*x offender molests an average of 117 children...most of whom do not report the offense" (Adkins, 2013). Even though I fall into the category of unreported child abuse case back in the 90s, as an adult, I don't want the emotionally abuse, imbalanced power, and manipulation from Dr. Marmaras fall into an unreported case again. When children learns that there is absolutely no one to rely on and they could become the "parents" of the abuser in an abusive relationship with the parents. The mother/caregiver can feel that he/she is already too traumatized to be functioning well and emotionally stable to take care of their personal needs, how will they be able to create the decent amount of care for their children? When I was attending DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy) a few years ago at the St. Luke’s/Roosevelt Hospital, most BPD patients disclosed that starting from a young age, they have been blamed for the damage their parents had done to their emotional well-being. In this situation, parents/caregiver regard the children as the “parents” of them in their abusive relationship even though they were the ones who harmed the children. Allan Schwartz, LCSW, Ph.D. writes that “It is natural to ask why an adult would now confront their parents about abusive acts that happened during childhood? Apparently, the answer is that these survivors are seeking an apology and an affirmative statement admitting their wrong doing. This is what makes the discussion so filled with despair for so many survivors. The despair results not simply by the refusal of an apology, but the complete denial that anything happened” (Schwartz 2009). Now I wonder when someone is emotionally abused and threatened by a psychologist like Dr. Elizabeth Marmaras in treatment, then the patient tells the psychologist that he/she has to report the psychologist to the licensing board. All of a sudden, the psychologist ends the therapeutic relationship with the patient because she considers what the patient says as a threat to his/her life and career. What should we do in this circumstance as a patient? Do we deserve living with the abuse even though the psychologist was the one creating the abuse and conducting unethical behavior during therapy? I feel like in this scenario, the psychologist starts regarding the client as his/her abuser even though the psychologist was the first one threatening the client. And another topic I am highly interested is that, when children learn there is absolutely no one to rely on or to even trust with, and as they become adults, what should we do to educate them if there is hope to be on recovery even though they still live with the exact same belief "there is absolutely no one to rely on" ? As counselors, we want to help clients to walk through the obstacles in their lives, but what if they have been judged and discriminated under every social setting due to the stigma of mental illness and even by his/her psychotherapist, what would be the useful coping strategies and tools for the clients to break the isolation and out of touch from reality? And as counselors, what if we actually are going through the exact same issue in our personal life and still lack solution to that, I wonder how self-disclosure could play a role in dealing with the counter-transference issue with this client in therapy.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2016

Value

Dr. Marmaras is good at working with couples, families, and individuals suffering from personality disorders such as BPD, eating disorders, and death and grief. In graduate school, we talk about ethics, transference, and counter-transference dilemma that brings between the client and psychotherapist. Reading the above comments, I emphasize with how Dr. Marmaras' colleagues and patients who value her work and those who have utilized healthy coping mechanism through the therapeutic relationship with her. When I first started seeing Dr. Marmaras for the 1st 6 months, I was deeply inspired by her deep intuition, advanced clinical & theoretical knowledge and extensive training through years of experience in treating patients struggling with severe mental illness. I trusted her from my heart that she would be the only psychologist in this world who would understand the pain, devastation, and the dysfunctional part of me that no other psychologists/ therapists would. It was around May 2013 the first time I saw Dr. Marmaras cry after I shared with her about the abuse and traumatic events I went through growing up. There were more than 15 sessions that Dr. Marmaras telling me that she cared for me even though no one else in this world ever did. I started feeling that our therapeutic relationship becoming somewhat emotionally abusive by July 2013 after hearing her sharing about the trauma she went through especially the way she was being treated by her abusive father back in Greece. I absolutely emphasized with the pain and vulnerability Dr. Marmaras had to live with through her childhood. During my session with her, I was the one comforting her about how much she had accomplished in her personal recovery and how she was a great inspiration and role model in my life. I admired her tenacity and the connection we had after both of us shared how much we had been traumatized during growing up. Then right after that session, Dr. Marmaras would always repeatedly talk about that she was seeing her therapist 3 times/week and there were days she had to be only relying on psych meds when she felt that desperation and hopelessness. Now going back to the psychotherapy session with Dr. Marmaras back in 2013, as a psychologist, her role was actually teaching & psychoanalyzing the struggle I lived for my entire life; instead, she was talking and crying to me about the unsolvable stressors she lived with. I wish that she had actually disclosed how much she recovered from struggling with her own mental health issues and taught me more skills in walking through the obstacle that I lived with.. Ironically, Dr. Marmaras was constantly crying and wiping down her tears during my session and falling into the trauma she disclosed about herself. It still hurts me day and night everytime when I think what she told me during my last session in 2014, "I have my own family to worry about and really can't create any space for you. Your parents are going through a divorce right now and you just lost your job ps. you have no family support. At this point, I don't think here would be the right place for you cuz you need more intensive care. For patients who come to see me in Private Practice, they already reached to that level and no intensitive care would be needed for them. I am not your family people come and go in life and there were tons of psychologists out there why would you have to be stuck with me consider me as the only person in this world who would resolve your issues? You came from the lowest low and yes we are from 2 different world but that doesn't mean I will not raise up my fee. Also, I came from a more privileged background than you".

flag | Submitted February 23, 2016

Value

I was emotionally abused by my last /psychologist/ therapist & reported her to the state licensing board. The investigator and his boss told me they believed everything I said but however, in order to proceed the case from a legal perspective, they will have to need the actual proof that she emotionally abused me. Unfortunately, I didn't have the audio recording of my therapist's unethical disclosure cuz I didn't know that our original therapeutic and professional relationship was going to turn out emotionally abusive. During our treatment, my therapist threatened to call my work place and attempted to let my supervisor know that I was suicidal so she could get me fired. I told her if you do that I would have to call the cops on you so you would get arrested because you were violating the boundary between a patient and a therapist. She sent me a letter saying that I threatened her life and her career so that she could no longer to work with me. And I was like, did you threaten me first and then accusing me that I threatened you so you don't have to live with guilt by blaming everything on me? I don't know where to get support so I wrote a blog abt myself trying to cope with the abuse she left on my original trauma http://therapyabuse1.blogspot.com/ a blog I created in living with the emotional abuse from Dr. Elizabeth Marmaras

flag | Submitted February 22, 2016

Value

12/2012- First time witnessing my psychotherapist Elizabeth having a mental breakdown during her last day of work at St. Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital’s CITPD Program. I went into her office to say goodbye just like all the other patients did. We hugged each other and by the time I let her go she started crying in my arms like a baby, “Keelie, I feel SO SAD right now waaaaa~” I was trying extremely hard to hold my tears back and told her, “You will definitely see me again in your private practice and I will miss you”. 03/2013- I went to Dr. Marmaras’ office to see her privately on a weekly base everything was working out pretty well. I can NEVER EVER forget how much she cared and nurtured me for those days and said she would never leave me no matter what happens in the future. I learned what was like to be cared, loved, and treasured, and as the days went by, subconsciously I began to think that God actually sent her to me in my life and let her to be that “mother” I’ve never had when I was growing up. 05/2013- It was sometimes in May 2013, as I started telling her more about the trauma and abuse I went through as a child, Dr. Marmaras started crying silently with tremendous pain in her eyes and her tears falling down of her cheeks like non-stop. I was absolutely inspired by the way she acted even though I have never seen a therapist crying in front of me because of my story and what I went through. I understand that she cared for me from her heart and believed that it was a human nature/connection that she cried for me. 05/2013-08/2013- Then after that session, Dr. Marmaras would always talk about the trauma she went through as a child. Here I’m going to write briefly of how she disclosed her mental illness story during my psychotherapy session: “I was born and raised in Greece and came to the United States at the age of 17. My parents were both born during the wartime. I was the 2nd child in my family and the reason I also regarded myself as a mistake in my family is that, I had a brother who died right after a few days he was born. My parents were heartbroken and I remembered myself seeing both my parents grieving for the loss of my brother. However at that time, I was too young to understand what was going on. Since my parents spent most of their days grieving for the loss of my brother, I was neglected for the first a couple of years of my life. Every time when I had my needs of course I would run to my parents but they either hit or pushed me away. I got scared from the pain after they hit me and learned my lesson that if something went wrong, I would not go to my parents for help. And back around that time in Greece, if you disobey your parents they would beat you to death and that’s the kind of pain you will never forget. I remembered my parents stared realizing what they did wrong by the time I got older but that trauma had already been formed in me. I have my diagnosis too and there were days I had to rely on psychiatric medication.” At first, I was so inspired and absolutely touched by the fact that Dr. Marmaras had the courage to share that part of her trauma with me during my therapy session. I felt that I just wanted to run into her arms to experience that pain with her and even to be part of her to experience what she was going through in her childhood. I couldn’t stop thinking of what she shared with me during my session for the rest of the day. I remembered myself crying to sleep that night, and the minute I fell right to my sleep, I felt that I saw a 4-year-old Greek girl with brown eyes, walking on the street with filthy clothes, and in that little Elizabeth’s eyes, it was filled with confusion, sadness, and pain. Then my childhood memories started flashing in the back of my mind. My mother constantly threatened to kill me because my dad had an affair with another woman. At the age of 3, one time, my mom took off all my clothes and pushed me out of the door. I had no underwear on and neighbors were opening their doors to stare at me. In kindergarten, I was told by all teachers that I was mentally retarded so no kids were playing with me. I started hearing voices and feeling the existence of the spirit at the age of 2 and had to transfer to 4 kindergartens and 7 elementary schools later on. I became homeless at the age of 10 and started moving back and forth from school dorms to shelters for 2 years. I never had my parents around because I was a schizophrenic child, plus no other family members would take me after I set up fire on my house at the age of 9. At the age of 4, I was told by my kindergarten counselor that I suffered from mild mental retardation and learning disabilities. When I was 5, kids in school called me “transgender, sick child, psycho, psychopath, loser, failure, retard…” on a daily basis. By the time I was 7, I attempted to commit suicide by putting up a rope on my ceiling. My mother grabbed me and pushed me to the balcony and said, “why don’t you kill yourself now?” I remembered half of my body from my head to chest was hanging in the air until a neighbor from downstairs started screaming. I had bruises and scars on my back, arm, legs, and knees for almost everyday of my life because kids were throwing rocks at me in school. They would also throw garbage bags, trash cans, soda bottles, and tapes at my head, face, and every part of body. When all these incidents happened, my mother said, “All these had to happen because you are a sick child and that’s what you deserve.” I remembered myself begging on the street for food at the age of 11 because my mother kicked me out and I had nowhere to go. 07/2013- I finally had the courage to speak to Dr. Marmaras abt how traumatized I felt for the past 2 months after she disclosed to me abt the childhood trauma she went through. On one hand, I was VERY inspired with the fact that she cared me enough and hoped that by sharing her personal trauma could provide me with deep healing. On the other hand, I felt very attached to her but also very hurt and heartbroken from the way she was being treated as a child. Every night before I fell asleep I couldn’t even stop thinking what if I became that little Elizabeth to suffer what she was going through, then she probably wouldn’t be crying and traumatized for this much. I already felt that our relationship had become somewhat emotionally abusive but as a victim of emotional abuse during psychotherapy, I still regarded Dr. Marmaras as that “mother” figure because there were so many times she cried for me after I shared with her about the childhood trauma and physical/emotional abuse I suffered. However the truth is that, no matter how bad Dr. Marmaras was mistreated by her parents, she was never homeless. I can never stop thinking that even though Dr. Marmaras was bringing up her trauma story to inspire me, that doesn’t change the fact that she came from a more privileged background and I came from an extremely dysfunctional family. Growing up, she had EVERYTHING I didn’t have. A mother, a father, 2 siblings, and a home. Regardless of her father’s abusive behavior towards her, Dr. Marmaras was raised in a home that she was not alone. She didn’t have to deal with hunger, homelessness, getting beaten up by school kids, and even begging on the street from her neighbors at the age of 5. Dr. Marmaras’ mother didn’t threaten to kill her or get some men on the street to rape her. She had also never lived in a homeless shelter and walked around the street without a winter jacket. “I love my dad. It was back in 1998 my dad was hit by a car back in NJ and I still remembered the fear and pain of losing him. I was afraid that he was gonna die. I started having panic attacks and even now there is no one in this world who could ever replace him in my heart. I love him so much”. Dr. Marmaras teared up again and tears were falling down of her cheeks like non-stop. I started feeling more psychotic and traumatized right after she started crying and shared this part of her personal story. There is ABSOLUTELY no way for me to understand the bond, love, and care between a father and a daughter. My father left home when I was 7 because he had an affair with a woman and right after that my mother threatened to kill him for plenty of times. I remembered when I was 3 years old, one time my dad asked me, “Keelie if your mother and I decided to divorce would you pick me or would you pick daddy?” I sad, what does the word “divorce” mean?” My dad simply answered, “Divorce means that mommy and daddy don’t love each other anymore and nobody is gonna want you and you have to pick either mommy or daddy to live with.” After that conversation, I remembered my dad slamming my head to the floor and called me a failure and I wasn’t supposed to be born. There were numerous occasions my dad called me “sick child, retard, mentally retard…” Yes, and in the meantime, I also regarded myself as a failure, a sick child, and an abnormal human being. My dream all though my childhood was to kill my parents first and then commit suicide right away. Even now, I remembered everything what my dad told me at the age of 4, “Keelie, mommy and I didn’t plan to bring you to this world and since we can’t kill or we would be in jail, so you have to be aware that you are different from every other kid. You don’t deserve anything good and we don’t love you. And the only way for us to live a life is to treat you like shit”. I finally decided to confront to Dr. Marmaras about how much I’ve been traumatized and hurt after hearing her constantly talking to me about her dad and how much she loves him. I kept telling her that she should feel lucky with the fact that she grew up with a mother, a father, and also she was not homeless. And she didn’t have to face death threats on a daily basis like myself. I also told Dr. Marmaras that our relationship has become more emotionally abusive and I didn’t know how to take it because I didn’t come from a privileged background like she did. And I didn’t have what she had during growing up. A mother, a father, 2 siblings, and a home. More important, her parents sent her to school from elementary school through high school, then to college. Not like my parents, none of them showed up at my college graduation ceremony because they never agreed that I deserved an education. 08/2013- After a few sessions talking about how much I’ve been emotionally abused in our relationship, Dr. Marmaras apologized and said, “Keelie I’m so sorry about what I did because I was doing all that to inspire you but I would never ever have thought you would get triggered and I’ve hurt you for this much. “ 09/2013-06/2014- Dr. Marmaras continued to play that “motherly” role to care and nurture me and at that moment, subconsciously I became that “daughter” who had been so craving for something I’ve never had. I found that there was a reason for me to stay alive, go to work, and even apply to graduate school. I started feeling less psychotic and acted more like a normal human being even though I was hearing voices on a daily basis and constantly having the urge to commit suicide. Dr. Marmaras stayed with me and convinced me that no matter what happens she will never leave me. There were days when I woke up with hives all over my body and walked into her office with a scarf all over my face and she would ask me to lay down on her couch; in the meantime, she was crying silently only with tears falling down her face. Sometimes she would start picking up her phone during my psychotherapy sessions to escape the pain through our transference therapeutic relationship. Most of her phone conversations were about her next patient running late or she got a text from her significant other. There was one time Dr. Marmaras putting her legs on another chair while sitting down, since she was only wearing a dress, I could see her butt cheeks and pussy lips through her panty. I found she got really nice legs not only because I’m pansexual/queer, but because I think her pussy shape is fucking amazing. Sometimes she would treat me as a friend/patient and she would tell me that she was moving to a new apt the next day. On most occasions, Dr. Marmaras would treat me as her patient/psychotherapist at the same time, she would spend 25 mins psychoanalyzing my struggle and offering strategies to cope with my personality disorders and for the rest 20mins, she would regard me as a psychotherapist/friend/daughter to talk about her personal struggle in working as a private psychotherapist and how much she has accomplished in the mental health field and her recovery process in coping with her mental illness especially her traumatizing childhood and how much she was craving for the love from her father. 07/2014- Dr. Marmaras suddenly decided to raise up her fee from $125 to $150 for my therapy session. Since I kept talking about how traumatized I felt about our overall abusive therapeutic relationship, she said, “Keelie, we need to increase our sessions in this situation I really want to help you as everyway as possible but I feel for you only coming here to see me once/week is not enough. Since you’ve brought up so many issues between us, I think you need to think about coming to see me 3 times/week and in the meantime, I’m raising up my fee to $150/session. You have lots of work that need to be done so for me only getting paid for $125/session I think I definitely deserve more than that.” Then for the next 2 weeks, she gave me similar lectures in why I should pay her $150/session. Of course I told her that’s not possible. I was working full-time 40 hours/week and only making $10/hour since I was only a college graduate at that time. I spoke to Dr. Marmaras that I was only making $1,200/month after taxes being taken out, my rent was $700, the metro card was $117 so that left me only $383 I had to buy groceries to eat cook, and clean. My parents were giving me $500 to see her for my psychotherapy then that’s it. And the reason my parents had to pay for psychotherapy was because I told them if they don’t pay I would commit suicide and bring them to court since they had lied on their taxes. For my whole life, I’ve never had any support from my parents or anybody because my dad was in denial with my mental illness; my mother was not in denial but she just didn’t want to deal with me-a sick child. I told Dr. Marmaras, “Listen, I’m not you. You came from a better background where your parents provided you with a home, an education, and a normal upbringing regardless of the abuse. Your dad cared for you enough to be strict with you and that led you to feel the great bond with him which is something I do not and will not understand. You came from a normal family, had personal struggles, I agree, but you always have the support, friends, and other family members when you were alone and heartbroken. More important, you said when you first came to the United States at the age of 17, you were working at the factory, supermarket, and other retail industry but your parents never threw you out of the house. First in order to work in NJ, you need a car I’m pretty sure that your parents got you a car that’s how you went to work every day. But I came from an absolutely dysfunctional environment compared with you. I always wanted to leave home, work, and to live my own life. My parents also lived in NJ all they did everyday was blaming why the fuck I was 18 years old and still going to school. My parents didn’t want me to finish high school because they think based on the fact that I was mentally retarded, I didn’t deserve to go to college. Growing up, I never had a dad and even by now, I do not understand what the word “father” means and why do kids have to love their parents”. I told Dr. Marmaras that she should feel glad that her parents didn’t threaten to throw her out of the house at the age of 17. And she was not homeless and didn’t have to beg on the street for food. Dr. Marmaras: “Keelie, you are right. Me and you are from 2 different world and I’m sorry but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to raise my fee. I think it’s a human nature that parents need to pay for their kids’ education but your parents are just from a different breed. I understand that you have your needs to be met but my school tuition is going up my rent is going up so I have to raise up my fee. I care for you and want to help you but I also have my needs. People come and go and that’s just life. I have had many patients who left when certain needs can’t be met but that’s just the way how things work. And there are tons of psychotherapists out there I don’t understand why you have to stay with me.” I suddenly felt tremendous pain emerging through my heart, throat, my whole body, and my head and it was hard for me to breathe. I couldn’t believe that this woman right in front of my face I’ve called “mama” for almost 2 years turned to a strange woman who only cared for money and her own benefit. I started hearing voices telling me to commit suicide, to leave her, and to end my life to find my eternal happiness. I didn’t cry, instead, I was sitting there with only silence because I was already traumatized by our overall abusive relationship and deep inside my heart, I couldn’t take anything like this that would break my heart forever. I started feeling numb and was in extremely shock abt what had happened and how much Dr. Marmaras has hurt me probably because my brain dissociated the pain that left me confused, stunt, and broken. 08/2014-I wrote my will and texted Dr. Marmaras part of my suicidal ideation "If I ever disappear from this world I hope that you will never find me". I only knew that Dr. Marmaras was the only hope for me to stay alive and if she had to give up on me or leave me, the only way for me to feel better would be to commit suicide. As I was laying on my bed going through my psychotic episode, I realized it was the time for me to go to work. By the time I arrived at my workplace, there were 4 missed calls from Dr. Marmaras. I was under supervision that afternoon so I texted Dr. Marmaras "I can't answer my phone at work now". She was still calling me like non-stop for almost 2 hours and I had to leave my phone into my purse. Later I texted her, "If you keep calling me like this I'll have to the call the cops and they will have you arrested because you abused me and you are violating the boundry between a Doctor and a patient ". For my psychotherapy session that week Dr. Marmaras acted very hurt and sad and told me that I threatened her with the cops and my suicidal ideation so she no longer trusted me and felt comfortable working with me. 09/2014- My suicidal thoughts and ideation started getting worse and Dr. Marmaras was still in denial with my psychosis. For the past 2 years, she treated me as if I were only suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder/PTSD/Bipolar II instead of Psychosis/Schizophrenia. Even though Dr. Marmaras saw that the psychiatrist at St. Luke's/Roosevelt Hospital put "Psychosis NOS" as my diagnosis, she treated me as if I were someone suffering only from mood disorders. Not only Dr. Marmaras mistreated my mental health issue, violated the legal boundary between a client and a psychotherapist, but she also treated me as if I were her family member/friend/psychotherapist/counselor/pain reliever for almost 1 and 1/2 years. It was sometimes in September 2014, Dr. Marmaras threatened me by saying, "Keelie if you are schizophrenic today I have to call your office at your job and speak to your supervisor that you can't go to work today". Then I wanted her to help me and to create a suicide prevention list but all she said was, "Keelie, I'm sorry you're paying me only $125/session and only seeing me once/week and at this point, you don't deserve the care and trust from me and I do not trust you anymore to be my patient". Later that week, I received a call from Dr. Marmaras that she had to be in Greece for 3 weeks due to a family emergency. 10/2014-Last Session-First Session after her return from Greece: Dr. Marmaras was contantly looking at her phone every 8 to 10 mins and talking to me while playing with her phone. I shared my struggle with her all she said was, "Keelie it's the same shit over again go cut out that shit". Before the 45 mins session was over, she started screaming with "Keelie I have to go I have to meet up my parents at the embassy". I never decided to go back to her after that session. I just knew that it was the time for me to end our abusive relationship so I called her saying that I won’t return to her therapy session and please do not contact/ talk to me anymore. I also told Dr. Marmaras that how much she has hurt me and I will never be able to heal for the rest of my life. I was also working part-time at a coffee shop in Brooklyn at that time but because of what Elizabeth did to me, I was not able to function at all and all I knew was, my heart was bleeding every day. Deep inside my heart, I really wish that Dr. Marmaras was able to share how much she has accomplished from her mental illness recovery instead of constantly crying and grieving the trauma she went through during my paid psychotherapy session. And I’ve learned that, many individuals choose to pursue a degree in MA/PhD. in Clinical Psychology because we have been to other places in this world where most people haven’t. Dr. Marmaras is a highly functioning individual who is able to go to school, achieve a degree in Psychology, and to work as a psychotherapist but when she encountered patients like me, who had a similar traumatizing background growing up, she subconsciously turned herself to be that protector/ “mother” to provide me with the warmth, caring, nurturing, and love that I’ve never received from my biological parents or anybody for my entire life. But by the time Dr. Marmaras realized that I had worse mental health issues (Psychosis) than her, she started dissociating herself from my psychosis and becoming very judgmental towards my suicidal ideation, hallucination, and psychotic thoughts/ behaviors. From this experience I’ve learned that, the reason Dr. Marmaras failed to provide me with a healthy therapeutic boundary in the end was, because of the trauma and abuse she had suffered, she was not yet mentally able to treat me or even to help me to recover from my own trauma since she is still seeing her therapist 3 times/week and seeking treatment for her own mental illness. She got herself caught up in her own mental illness while trying extremely hard to help me to be on recovery; ironically Dr. Marmaras worsened my psychosis and diluted my treatment while trying to psychoanalyzing her own trauma during my paid psychotherapy session.

flag | Submitted February 22, 2016

Value

My overall therapy experience with her was absolutely a NIGHTMARE. Met Dr. Elizabeth Marmaras at St. Luke's/Roosevelt Hospital 2 years ago and at that time I was deeply inspired by her hard-work, intuition, honesty, and self-disclosure. Never in my life I would ever think later our relationship would turn out psychologically abusive. Dr. Elizabeth Marmaras never stopped crying during my paid therapy session starting from May 2013, in the meantime, she was bursting tears like nonstop everytime after I shared with her abt what happened through my childhood and the trauma I went through. Homelessness, begging on the street, getting beaten up, feeling/angry/threatened/psychotic/ hearing voices have always been my deepest fear ever since I could remember. Right after I shared the trauma I was going through, Dr. Marmaras told me she goes to see her therapist 3 times/week because of her own mental illness. I immediately felt the strong bond/connection with her everytime she started talking about the trauma she went through as a child. It was sometimes around September 2013 I realized our relationship had become emotionally abusive. Dr. Marmaras would always talk about her father getting into a car accident and how terrified she felt about losing him. There were 4 sessions she was constantly crying about the fear of losing her father. I 've never had a father. He told me to go fuck myself all the time and left me when I was 6. My mother was beating me up everyday because my dad abandoned her. I grew up with bruises/scars all over my hands and body. Teachers from school told my family I was suicidal. I was placed in special-ed all the time with those retarded children. My mother threatened to call the cops on me all the time because she wanted to see me dying and killing myself. I was sleeping on the street, the stairs, in the shelter. I was afraid that my mother would kill me. I had no idea what was reality for me at that time. "I love my dad. I really do love him from my heart". Dr. Marmaras teared up again. Have you ever thought what it was like for me to hear you talking about someone I 've never had? You even brought up your own mental illness. You should be glad that your parents brought you from Greece to the US and they even gave you a place to live and let you finish your college degree. You have 2 siblings I have nothing. I didn't even get to finish elementary school until later. When I finally decided to apply for college in the end of my senior year of high school, my parents never agreed because they were being told that I was mentally retarded since I was 5. Dr. Marmaras, have you ever experienced walking in the freezing cold without a winter coat? I was only 15 my parents didn't think I deserved to be happy or even have a job. At the age of 18, you were working in the factory/supermarket and you even brought that up to ”INSPIRE" me. Don't you know that I started living on my own at the age of 10 and had my 1st babysitting job? Later, you started abusing me financially right after I told you we came from 2 different world. All you responded was, "so yeah I know we came from 2 different world but that doesn't mean I would not raise up my fee. My fee is going up my tuition is going up therefore I have to raise up my fee". Seriously, what does your living/school situation/personal life have anything to do with my psychotherapy? You treated me as if I were your psychotherapist/pain reliever and charged me $130/person for me sitting there and watching you constantly crying and lying to me abt raising your fee from $250 to $350? Only because you were late all the time and I lashed out on you? How about that time you threatened to call my work place when I told you I was hearing voices/suicidal? I never complained abt anything. Everyime when you apologized for what you did I forgave you right away. At this point, it's deff the right time for me to get the APA/ licensing board involved and let them know how you psychologically abused me through violating boundaries in the past 2 years. And yes you sent me a letter with 3 fake referrals where intensive therapy doesn't even exist. As for a victim of therapist abuse, it's time for me to share my story because you damaged me, abused me, abandoned me, and used me. I'm not your psychotherapist. I'm only your patient. Now I have to suffer the new trauma you added to me for the REST OF MY LIFE.

flag | Submitted February 19, 2016

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Latest Rating

Dr. Elizabeth is extremely insightful and perceptive. One can truly see that she cares.